It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Glass ½ Full Or ½ Empty?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Cos I'm such a realist I struggle with this question. Was it empty and you filled it half way (positive) or was it full and is now half empty (negative).

I too like to think I'm a realist that hopes but I'm such a realist I know that hope has no affect on things outside my control.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Is The Glass ½ Full Or ½ Empty?

This question has always been posed as an indicator for whether or not someone is an optimist or a pessimist.

Do you see the glass as ½ empty or ½ full?

Supposedly, the answer has ramifications on the outlook you have about life in general.

If you see the glass ½ empty you are considered pessimistic, ½ full, optimistic.

It feels like almost a disservice for this to be my response considering how well written the rest of your post is, but I have thought often about the half full VS half empty standpoint. I'm of the quirky opinion that it all depended on how the glass started. If you had a full glass and drank half, I would consider it half empty. If you had an empty glass and filled it half way I would call it half full.

Sorry for answering the shallowest part of your question without really touching on the philosophical side, its just a thought I often have but have never had an outlet for.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
The glass never existed in the first place.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
damn!!! Like 3 people beat me to it...but nice to know there are a few other free thinkers out there

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Okay, then i guess the fact you exist is an illusion too, and yet here you are! Neat trick!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TSOM87

Why does the fact it has water matter as opposed to air? Even without a liquid the glass is still full. Good to know you are a realist with hope...pretty much the same as being a cautious optimist wouldn't you say?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
it's at 50% capacity

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The glass is half full,
and getting fuller by the second.

*pours more coffee*

However, the coffee pot is half empty,
and getting less and less.

*raises cup*

edit on 22-11-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Takes the damn glass that everyone's talking about and drinks the rest of what's in it and leaves.

Have fun with your 100% empty glass.

Bye.
edit on 22-11-2015 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Nope. There is absolutely no way for the glass to be 1/2 empty or 1/2 full. Whether or not there is a solid liquid the glass remains full all the time. There was much more to this OP than the replies I am getting. The focus should not be on the glass.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Stating the obvious there, did you actually bother to read the OP? It does not seem many of you bothered, but nifty little picture there.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Yes, but if you take the glass and smash it over your head will you make a sound that anyone hears?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Not if the glass you are trying to refill gets destroyed.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

By all means you better get started on those dishes, while you are at it are they half dirty or half clean?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I suspect you will be very thirsty when wandering in the dessert looking for your oasis.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
The glass is half full, and their are a lot of idiots in the world, all here excluded from that remark.

Gee Bubba, perhaps if you could spell....

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TSOM87
The Glass has Water in it. I'm a Realist with Hope.

Yep..the glass is both half-full and half-empty. Usually see things realistically but always hold out for that bit of hope at the bottom of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: jojomomtwothree
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

When, looking back over life's ups and downs I find several of my most traumatic experiences were catalysts to my best times. Including my children, job, and career. Wonder if others find this to be the case in their lives?

Finally a reply that actually pertains to the intent of the OP. Exactly, there are many experiences we have that are considered to be negative in content that lead to positive outcomes.
edit on 22-11-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

The ability to accept the consequences of our own actions and the outcome of our decision making process is relegated to our own concept of what is positive or negative. Other people around us make decisions we have no control over that require an ability to adjust our expectations to fit the circumstances.

There is a human construct that plays a huge role in that ability and having the capability to take a step back and view things from a spiritual perspective while dealing with the collective nonsensical is paramount.

It is very important to recognize not every thing is what it seems to be, rather it is cloaked by disinformation that requires reading between the lines and NOT putting a band aid on it. Sometimes the only way to heal is to bleed out first.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Oh hehehehe...so funny....to bad you missed the intent behind the OP, completely....congratulations!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join