It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Glass ½ Full Or ½ Empty?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

This question has always been posed as an indicator for whether or not someone is an optimist or a pessimist.

Do you see the glass as ½ empty or ½ full?

Supposedly, the answer has ramifications on the outlook you have about life in general.

If you see the glass ½ empty you are considered pessimistic, ½ full, optimistic.

While the liquid in the glass may only take up ½ the space, there is an element that resides in the other ½; Air. This means that the glass is completely full in a physical sense.

Can this be applied to the metaphysical sense, too?

Yes. I think it can.

A pessimist is defined as: a very negative person: somebody who always expects the worst to happen.

An optimist is defined as: somebody positive: somebody who tends to feel hopeful and positive about future outcomes.

I would be what you call a “cautious optimist”; I allow for all possible outcomes while hoping for the best.

It does not matter which way I see the glass, it is always full.

Balance is the key to this equation; do not get too high or too low about possible outcomes. Until the resolution presents itself in real form there are just too many variables that are not in our control.

Getting ahead of the outcome is counterproductive.

I would rather be prepared for a negative outcome than a positive one.

Here is the rub, just because something appears to be negative or positive doesn't mean the actual benefit or lack thereof will be readily foreseeable.

Many times we are focused on specific factors without being aware of the other “element”.

Often it is the other “element" that is more important.

For example, there are many ways to illustrate this point and the way I choose to do this would be up to me. How you decide to “see” is up to you.

We are connected by an unseen force of electromagnetic energy, an energy that is made up of unseen properties.

Positive, Negative and Neutral energy that each have their own benefit and need each other to exist; too much of either can be harmful, but a balance achieved by all can be most beneficial.

The same can be applied to how the world we live in functions; not everything that happens can be viewed as having specifically positive or negative benefits, they have both energies attached along with a neutral energy connecting them.

How we choose to react to individual situations and the consequences that arise from them are indicative of the very nature of our human condition (negative) and our spiritual condition (positive) and the neutral connection that binds us together.

Collectively we will continue to be connected regardless of how we react individually, but if the reaction collectively is out of balance the consequences will be manifested exponentially for all involved.

This is particularly important when it comes to matters of the human condition; if the imbalance that occurs is of a negative nature versus a positive one.

Still there is a lesson to be learned by the spiritual being in either instance.
edit on 21-11-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The glass is an illusion because solid matter doesn't really exist

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Glass has Water in it. I'm a Realist with Hope.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The glass is Schrodinger's, and is simultaneously partially empty and partially filled.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Neither. The glass is completely full of both air and water.

edit on 21-11-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

If you are emptying the glass its half empty . If you are filling it its half full . If its just there it is half a glass of water .

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Doesn't matter. Glasses are refillable

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
and im just over here like, "that reminds me, i need to do the dishes"

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Depends on how thirsty you are.
2nd line.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The glass is half full, and their are a lot of idiots in the world, all here excluded from that remark.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

When, looking back over life's ups and downs I find several of my most traumatic experiences were catalysts to my best times. Including my children, job, and career. Wonder if others find this to be the case in their lives?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
1/2 full or 1/2 empty or even existing or needing too; depends on the strength of ones thirst... it is and it isn't, it has a potential to be an experience or a label... but that choice of definition is yours, how i define it or another does makes no difference to it's reality as existent or non existent... unless there is an agreement that chooses to accept one or the other as reality to validate one another as existent in order to validate each others experience in a mutual co-operation... unfortunately the choice or agreement itself; limits the experience of what it is or what it could be... as such things just change over time and are impermanent.

Trying to control or manipulate experience to what one wants or expects it to be just keeps it all spinning in chaos... like a chain reaction, leaping, grasping, hoping and uncertain in everything including what one takes to be a self... things like 1/2 empty or 1/2 full just give some perspective when trying to find balance in extremes... it's a bandaid it does temporarily help with adversity... but still just simple a coping mechanism in a world of extremes nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
and im just over here like, "that reminds me, i need to do the dishes"

LMAO!!! ... So very true ! .....Is your sink half full or half empty with dishes ?? He he he he .....

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

The glass is both 1/2 empty AND 1/2 full AND just too damn big, AND neither, AND all... all at the same time!
It just is a matter of Perspective, and all Perspectives are of the same One Reality!
It was the toxic error of Aristotle that it had to be one or the other true leaving the 'other' false!
He has poisoned Western thought with that crap for millennia already!
See; false dichotomy!

"All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." -Robert Anton Wilson

"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" - The First Law of Soul Dynamics

"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." - Alfred North Whitehead

An illustration of 'half-full' 'vs' 'half empty';

'Point to the left'.
Easy.
Note where you are pointing.
Now turn 1 degree and point to the left.
Again note the results.
Now another degree, etc...
And another 1/4 of a degree...
Turn in every possible direction, on every possible axis!
It turns out that every direction is 'left', 'left' is a 'cloud needing a particular Perspective to have any 'direction' at all!
Now point to the 'right'!
Same drill!
An 'up', and 'down' and 'Northeast...!
Note that the exact same cloud of 'left', is also, at the same moment, a cloud of 'right' AMD 'up' AND 'down', AND Northeast...!!!!
Do the experiment!

The only 'distinctions' that can even be called 'left' or 'right', 'up' or 'down'..., are only a matter of (the unique limitations of any) Perspective!

Ultimately, We are One (unchanging (motionless), all inclusive) 'Cloud'/Reality!!

1/2 full and 1/2 empty mean the exact same thing!!
It is a schizophrenic question, a false dichotomy!

Further, a glass can never be completely 'empty', anyway!
So the question fails from that Perspective, also! *__-
edit on 21-11-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As long as something is left in the glass for me, I ain't complaining.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jojomomtwothree

When, looking back over life's ups and downs I find several of my most traumatic experiences were catalysts to my best times. Including my children, job, and career. Wonder if others find this to be the case in their lives?

All Blessings are Painful!
"Only a Breaking Heart can Love!" - n

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
The glass is half full, and their are a lot of idiots in the world, all here excluded from that remark.

"There" (not 'their') are a lot of idiots in the world! *__-

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
The glass is an illusion because solid matter doesn't really exist

That illusion that I bumped my toe into made plenty of illusory pain!
I think that 'illusion' qualifies as Reality!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So are you done with the glass yet, I got to wash the dishes and close the pub...

That is my thoughts on a half full/empty glass.

CoBaZ

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join