It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Protest Pro-free Speech Display at UMich

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You misunderstood my post as usual. My daughter can go to school wherever she wishes, but I am apprehensive about paying 200k to a school that doesn't support unfettered free speech. The entire purpose of college is to be exposed to new ideas and to sometimes be offended.

I find the entire idea of safe zones and free speech zones to be unAmerican and these are something that 'liberal idiots' have come up with, not conservatives. I would be happy to send her to UofM as it is a great school, but I don't support these folks that are anti-free speech.

Not to mention 200k is a lot of money to spend on an undergraduate degree regardless of which school she chooses. If you knew anything about my relationship with my family you would know I have NEVER told my daughter where to go to school or even tried to influence her decision other than to bring up the pros and cons of each school and the potential costs involved. You really don't have any idea what you are talking about when it comes to me or my family.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I think I understand where you are coming from and your sentiment isn't completely wrong.

However, I believe parents should take a huge role in the decision of where to attend college (with veto power, if you will). You saying that they "wrongly believe" something is just your opinion. Personally, many years from now when my son is thinking about colleges, I sincerely hope that by that time I would have already successfully taught him to focus on the prize... a top notch education. I'm hoping that I will be able to teach him to avoid all the people and nonsense that we are hearing about these days. Walk-outs and protests over basically nothing.

Also, and I apologize if I'm splitting hairs here, but I take issue with parents whom are raising their kids based on their experiences and values being accused of indoctrination. Are parents supposed to go out of their way to specifically teach kids what the parents themselves don't believe to be right?

Lastly, back to the role of parents in the decision making process...

I'm in my late 30's and when I think back to who I was, what I knew and what I thought I knew in my late teens and early twenties... I can only wish I had a small fraction of the wisdom back then that I do now. That is why it is incredibly important that parents help their kids navigate through the college experience. For example (and again, hopefully I will have done my part as a parent so this never comes up), if my kid even suggests majoring in Popular Culture or some other useless thing... the veto is coming down fast. As bright as some of them may be, 18 year olds can't always see that far down the road. That is what parents are for.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DBCowboy

And you want to shut down the free expression of people taking offense. Guess their expression doesn't matter.
/shrug.

If you can say what ever you want then I am free to respond how ever I want to you. That isnt being silenced. May just some hurt feelings.

edit on thThu, 12 Nov 2015 22:01:55 -0600America/Chicago1120155580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)[/editby

I get it.

So some want to silence people. Deny them their 1st Amendment rights.

I want those people shut down.

So now I'M THE One who is denying people their rights, because I am denying them their right to deny people the right to free expression.

I laugh at you.

edit on 13-11-2015 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Why does this surprise anyone ?

People don't like their second amendment rights, and it turns out the same people don't like their first amendment rights.

It's only going to get worse.

Mobs aren't exactly known for 'intellect' now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join