It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Protest Pro-free Speech Display at UMich

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

It's a shame that today's University PC culture is probably unaware of 'POGO' cartoonist, Walt Kelly's memorable comic parody of the words of Oliver Hazard Perry'.

"We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Us!"
edit on 12-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

State and federally funded institutions creating 'free speech zones', shutting down dissenting speech and labeling/punishing those involved.

Except that's not what happened at all. There was no punishing of students for dissenting speech by anyone let alone school administration. You're making things up and you're either doing it purposefully or out of ignorance because you couldn't be bothered to read.

[snipped]
edit on 11.12.2015 by Kandinsky because: removed reference to removed comment

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Except that's not what happened at all. There was no punishing of students for dissenting speech by anyone let alone school administration. You're making things up and you're either doing it purposefully or out of ignorance because you couldn't be bothered to read.

Also, shame on you for calling somebody a shill simply because you don't agree with them.

You're lying.

You have a state paid, guilt-ridden white apologist calling for some federally sponsored (implied to be colored) muscle to silence some slightly built Asian reporter.

video

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I think people confuse what gov censorship really is.... people saying you shouldn't say something is not them silencing you or infringing your first. The first protects you from the state, it doesn't mean you can aay what ever you want with no consequence.

Do you lay awake at night making # up?

Personally I believe that you are nothing more that a lying shill.

Brandburg V Ohio

In case you can't be bothered to read, mean ol' words are protected speech

Somebody didn't fully read their link before posting.

Whitney has been thoroughly discredited by later decisions. See Dennis v. United States, 341 U.S. 494, at 507 (1951). These later decisions have fashioned the principle that the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

So not all mean ol' words are protected speech.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
mispost
edit on 12-11-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Somebody didn't fully read their link before posting.

Whitney has been thoroughly discredited by later decisions. See Dennis v. United States, 341 U.S. 494, at 507 (1951). These later decisions have fashioned the principle that the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

So not all mean ol' words are protected speech.

If anything your highlighted text just proves my point, that nearly all speech is protected (save for the yelling 'fire' in a theater meme)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

The problem is that there are two camps of politically poisoned young minds with distorted notions of what free speech is.

On the one hand there are those who believe free speech is the right of a person to be offensive wherever and whenever they want, without facing criticism, ridicule, angry shouts, disparaging remarks, push back, whatever.

Then on the other hand, you've got a group of people who think that anytime anyone says anything that offends them, they're suffering an actual injury and that the offensive person should therefore be punished by some authority or another.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
so the new fad is reporting on all the stupid crap that kids on college campuses do?

that is how news gets done, right? something ridiculous happens in one place, then it is sought out and reported everywhere else, and painted as some new wave taking the country?

I only spent a year in college, and could write volumes on the stupid stuff I saw kids doing. College is a time/place where self expression tends to be wielded like a weapon, and where people test all manner of oulandish notions while trying to figure out who they are and what their place in this world is.

If i wasn't so lazy id make a "Brace Yourselves" meme to insert here. But its late and my day starts early, so use your imagination.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

My daughter wants to attend UofM and my family and I are huge Michigan fans, but after seeing this I really have to question whether I am willing to spend almost 50k a year on out of state tuition to send her there. Maybe she should just stay home and attend UC. I don't want to pay to have her surrounded by liberal idiots.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I am against free speech zones

What wait? Isn't the United States a "free speech zone"?

Every square inch of it? Really? Even my bedroom where I am typing on my laptop?
edit on 13-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Two of my boys went to UC. One came back from University of Colorado Boulder...and the other from Saint Louis University. They both really excelled there and got a great education. Bringing them back, was among the best decisions we had made.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I am against free speech zones

What wait? Isn't the United States a "free speech zone"?

Every square inch of it? Really? Even my bedroom where I am typing on my laptop?

Reldra, please reread the exchange upon which you were attempting to comment.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

My daughter wants to attend UofM and my family and I are huge Michigan fans, but after seeing this I really have to question whether I am willing to spend almost 50k a year on out of state tuition to send her there. Maybe she should just stay home and attend UC. I don't want to pay to have her surrounded by liberal idiots.

How unfortunate that you not only wish to dictate what your kids should do, even after they have become adults, but also believe that they will be surrounded by liberal idiots if they go to certain schools.

There are all kinds of different people and groups at universities these days and it tends to be those that shout the loudest that get the most attention. Plenty of both liberal and conservative idiots to be found.

So you're not going to protect them from getting infected by liberalism. You're going to sterilize their life experiences so that they only believe what you think they should.

That is brainwashing above and beyond anything that could take place on campus.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Metallicus

How unfortunate that you not only wish to dictate what your kids should do, even after they have become adults
What a load of malarkey.

Although I would consider the kid's thoughts on it, it is EXACLTY the role of the parents to be a huge (majority) part of the decision making process when determining what school THEIR KID (yes, kid) attends.

Even after they are adults? If said person is an adult, then they can pay their own way and not have to listen to oppressive Mommy and Daddy.
edit on 13-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: typo

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You're lying.

You have a state paid, guilt-ridden white apologist calling for some federally sponsored (implied to be colored) muscle to silence some slightly built Asian reporter.

1. That happened at the University of Missouri. This thread is about something that happened at the University of Michigan where as I said — there was no punishing of students for dissenting speech by anyone let alone school administration.

2. There was no punishing of students for dissenting speech at the University of Missouri either. Ms. Click, the woman to whom you're referring, accosted a student reporter of her own volition. Her actions were her own and were not sanctioned by the state or endorsed by the school. I haven't read an article in the media that wasn't wholly critical of her. I haven't spoken with anyone who wasn't disgusted by the incident. I've even seen interviews with other faculty members expressing their own outrage over her actions.

3. Care to explain this statement?

"federally sponsored (implied to be colored) muscle"

What federally sponsored muscle was she calling for? In what way does, "can we get some muscle over here" imply anything about race?

You're conflating incidents involving different people at different schools at different times and as I stated in my earlier comment, you're making things up.
edit on 2015-11-13 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

All I can say is if I were a college student I'd steer clear of the kids talking about "safe spaces" AND kids in a group with a name like Young Americans for Freedom.

In both cases, regressive extremist pupae.

Freedom is so extreme!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling those who report bias incidents are also the same people who obsessively pick zits in the mirror?
"What? My face is clear! Noooo....."
Reason is being systematically destroyed by the very institutions supposed to guard it.
Dark times ahead I see young Paduwan.
Very dark.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
LOL they would love the Communist Party of China, they try to censor anything that makes them look bad or as they put it, NOT CONSIDERATE OF THE FEELINGS OF THE CHINESE PEOPLES. They are going to spend 8.9 billion overseas for censorship, guess the SJW will have to take note.

edit on 13-11-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I have no problem with parents playing a role in the decision making process, but when that process excluded certain institutions because the parents feel the university does not adhere to what they wrongly believe to be acceptable political standards, than that it completely unreasonable.

What they are doing is forcing a form of indoctrination on to their children and not allowing them to become the person they should become out of free will.

One of the main reasons we have problems these days is because some liberals and conservatives push their political agendas down the throats of their children.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Yeah because I was referring to the word itself right? Not the specious use of words like freedom, liberty and patriot by sanctimonious conservatives when naming nearly everything.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join