It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dawkins and Tyson discuss addressing believers & secularists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This video is one I just discovered today.

It's a very fascinating dialogue between these two men. Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Richard Dawkins discuss different approaches to address people in light of today's climate of "religious" prickliness; how to best reach out to encourage people to think about things, rather than just dismissing them out of hand.

VERY good discussion. Richard Dawkins Conversation with Neil deGrasse Tyson at Hayden Planetarium

One of the points they discuss is how "the Constitution" states there shall be no "religious test", but that, in practice, there is.

Check out this article: Your Guide to the 2016 Presidential Candidates. It even states the contender's religion.

Not a one of them claims to be 'atheist.' Sanders claims 'Jewish' - the rest are all varieties of "Christians" - some of them 'converted' from one Christian thing to another - some Roman Catholic, some Southern Baptist (more than just one each, btw), and the rest (except for Bernie) are Protestant.

So, yeah - there ought not to be a 'religious test', they say in print, but....
but - what are your chances of being supported if you DON'T up and state your religious beliefs?

If you are choosing to cast your vote, will this make ANY difference to you?

Anyway - the Dawkins / Tyson dialogue is fabulous. Lucid conversation, disinterested, dealing with how to reach people -

Let me know if you guys watch it and do or don't find it interesting!

edit on 11/12/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I see these two as evolution propagandists and nothing more. They may as well have degrees in basketweaving.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

So, not gonna watch it, then.
Check.
Thanks for reading, in any case.

Just FYI, Tyson speaks about supporting religious beliefs alongside science. Dawkins speaks about bluntness and straightforwardness -
they both make very valid points, and are very respectful and actively listening to each other, and discussing their diverse views.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
I wont comment without watching. Seeing as it is over an hour I will watch it after the game tonight.

I am suppressing my initial thoughts for an effort at informed dialogue

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Isn't propaganda when it is the truth....
Will watch over weekend.
edit on 12-11-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Awesome. Appreciate that very much.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

And the best thing about this discussion is neither of them is saying "this is the truth".....they are just talking about the disparate views that people have, and how they each would 'bring up' the sensitive subject of science vs religious faith.

They listen to each other, and say, "hmm. So you'd do it that way.....I'd be more inclined to do it this way.....which do you think is better?" And they actually ANSWER each other!!

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Isn't propaganda when it is the truth....
Will watch over weekend.

Prove it.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

So, not gonna watch it, then.
Check.
Thanks for reading, in any case.

Just FYI, Tyson speaks about supporting religious beliefs alongside science. Dawkins speaks about bluntness and straightforwardness -
they both make very valid points, and are very respectful and actively listening to each other, and discussing their diverse views.

Can't watch it if I wanted - I haven't had cable in 13 years.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The truth is that we don't really know, and ought to talk and listen to one another.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
But, you're on the internet. It's a youtube video.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sounds interesting, Dawkins with answers and also listening.
Not his normal style that's for sure.

I won't watch, I am just not really interested in anything he has to say, just another atheist Evangelist, if it's not a religion why preach it, why try to win converts as Dawkins does.
I just don't get it

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many have on ATS many many times.
If you choose to be ignorant about it be my guest.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Well, that's a real shame.
It really is a fantastic dialogue. And, in my opinion, needs to be more front and center at this juncture.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

uh, you're on the internet. It's a youtube video.

Oh.. I thought it was a TV program. I am doing too many things at once today.

I agree that people should listen and discuss things, but atheists rarely do. They think they are right and that's the end of it. Religion to me is an interpretation of what is basically incomprehensible to us meat puppets. The fact that everyone thinks that theirs is right is its biggest flaw. There can be many interpretations IMO. However, Islam is the biggest religion that advocates the killing of nonbelievers. Completely unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

no argument from me, HDP!

Hope you find the time and interest to watch it.

Very important convo.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many have on ATS many many times.
If you choose to be ignorant about it be my guest.

The problem with evolutionists is that they are almost always atheists as well. They claim that you can't have a God and have evolution. Well, why the hell not?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I'm no Atheist and believe God made all the rules of the universe and let them ride.
Also no you are wrong most religions accept evolution just not american Christians mostly.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Tyson, at about 58 minutes in, says he was raised "Catholic" but his family never, ever talked about "science is wrong" or "what would Jesus do?" So, he never got the message that the Bible was truth, or that it should encourage one to reject science.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

One of the points they discuss is how "the Constitution" states there shall be no "religious test", but that, in practice, there is.

So, yeah - there ought not to be a 'religious test', they say in print, but....
but - what are your chances of being supported if you DON'T up and state your religious beliefs?

These idiots do know that the Constitution prohibits the federal government from having a "religious test", don't they?

The people can judge whether a politician is "qualified" based on whatever criteria they want. They can have religious tests until they're thorned in their crowns and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

That is, until you people ban religion entirely (except state worship [statolatry], of course).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join