It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Winter 2015

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
.......apart from the North Atlantic which is getting colder. This water will eventually drive the Gulf Stream south (which happens anyway, naturally) whic in turn means Devon and Cornwell get to join the rest of us in shivering a lot more!
I did an additional oceanography module at Uni and yep, the thought of that Gulf Stream missing us out concerned me then as now.
I moved South all those years ago for a reason lol, perhaps if/when it happens (and presuming the UK is still in the EU) I shall brush up on my Spanish and head for the Canary Islands. Got a mate who lives on Gran Canaria who will offer me some floor space until I get sorted.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Interesting watch, kind of throws Global warming into doubt!!

mini ice age

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: Debunkology
I used to live in Cornwall. Great for a holiday but a totally dull place to live.
I guess it all depends on your social circles. I have many friends on the other side of the Tamar and their lives are far from dull, beach parties, surfing, kayaking, cliff jumping, jet-skiing, dance parties in the moors, I could go on.

You paint a very rose tinted picture of cornwall. Of course, them things are done in the summer holiday season. It just does not happen in the winter. Thats why I said Cornwall is great for a holiday.

Cornwall is not L.A, Syndney or Auckland. The place is deserted in the winter.
And thats why of course by getting up average temps you can see that yes it does have a season. But im talking about actually being there and feeling it. Winter? Very mild, Summer? Mild. Of course im comparing the place to other places. Germany? Now that has a winter! AND a summer. And basically any other place in mainland Europe.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

Dude I do experience it, I'm on the most Southern tip of Devon with a climate and lifestyle exactly the same as Cornwall's.
You hit the nail on the head with the difference in activities due to the obvious seasonal changes to our weather and temperatures, much more fun in the Summer, but not as miserable in the Winter as other parts of the UK.

Yep, in the Summer with millions of tourists it is completely different, but when they have all gone (like now) it's a lovely local feel where we all know the same faces and after hours 'lock-ins' at pubs are ignored by the police.
This part of the world is far from dull, and I know one thing for sure, I prefer living here than say a concrete council estate in the middle of Birmingham. No offence Birmingham, but you get my drift.

I hail from Swansea originally, and go 'home' regularly to visit my family, but when I return down the M5 and reach it's end, gradually moving to the A38 and then minor B roads, I smile and feel really home again. Winter in the South West is the worst I ever wish to experience. Maybe my part of the world is not everyones cup of tea but while that Gulf Stream continues keeping us warmer than the rest of the UK I can't imagine living anywhere else.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

On a side note, i would expect Devon and Cornwall to get colder than they are used to in the years ahead. All the Greenland glacial melt is cooling the North Atlantic. If you check the expected global sea temperature This water will eventually drive the Gulf Stream south (which happens anyway, naturally) whic in turn means Devon and Cornwell get to join the rest of us in shivering a lot more!

I noticed this already happening (the water temp). In the late 90s I could surf in October and it was like summer. But as the years went on, I noticed the sea took longer to warm and was colder quicker. Then I just stopped surfing in the winter altogether, just not enjoyable.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I hail from Swansea originally, and go 'home' regularly to visit my family, but when I return down the M5 and reach it's end, gradually moving to the A38 and then minor B roads, I smile and feel really home again. Winter in the South West is the worst I ever wish to experience. Maybe my part of the world is not everyones cup of tea but while that Gulf Stream continues keeping us warmer than the rest of the UK I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Devon in my opinion is alot better than Cornwall. At least it has cities, and the surf isnt too bad either.

Cornwall is warmer in the winter, but not in the summer. Anything in the UK is surely better than a council estate in Birmingham.

If your originally from swansea, then whats wrong with Pembrokeshire? How come you didnt settle there?

Cornwall offers nothing but beaches and surf which is only fit for Summer, ironically when there is no surf. If you took cornwall and stuck it on the end of ireland, it would fit right in.

Right now im trying to get a visa to go back to Australia. But if I had to choose a place to live in the UK, it would be Edinburgh for lifestyle. Has everything all year round. Not far from the mountains, and scotland has the best beaches.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Living a stone throw from the Peak District i might be happy this year if we do get some proper snow. It looks amazing around here with a good covering and tbh the people take snow with a pinch of salt and most are well prep'd. My only reservation is when the cold bites so does the arthritis lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

If your originally from swansea, then whats wrong with Pembrokeshire? How come you didnt settle there?
Haha, that's the wild West and I wanted to go South. My family on my Father's side is from Cornwall as well, it was my Grampa who moved to Wales. If you knew my surname then you would totally understand, as Cornish as you can get, it has a 'Pen' prefix, but I'll stop there as searching my first and last name on Google the only result is me lol.

Right now im trying to get a visa to go back to Australia. But if I had to choose a place to live in the UK, it would be Edinburgh for lifestyle. Has everything all year round. Not far from the mountains, and scotland has the best beaches.
Yeah, but it's #ing freezing! I'll do Scotland in the Summer but Winter, hell no!
...and you said about cold sea surfing down here, check the sea temp charts for my area compared to Scotland! Brr.
A visual map/chart can speak a thousand words: www.thebeachguide.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I suppose its because I lived in edinburgh for a year and there seemed to be a festival on every week. Hardly any crime and you feel pretty safe for a uk city. Just more things to do and places to go all year round.

The way I look at scotland in the winter is that there is one. It actually snowed. But it still wasnt as cold as the winters ive had in germany.

There is no argument with sea temp but that only lasts for a couple of months. I liked the idea that u can be in Barcelona for 60 quid in a couple of hours, in cornwall it takes 3 hours just to get to Bristol airport.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I liked the idea that u can be in Barcelona for 60 quid in a couple of hours, in cornwall it takes 3 hours just to get to Bristol airport.
Haha tell me about it, it can take 2 hours for me to drive the 40 odd miles North to Exeter!
Best of luck with the Oz visa, I wouldn't mind missing British Winter again, used to do it before I became a parent, but as of this year I have no 'legal' dependents due to reaching adulthood.

I may well work and save hard through the coming Spring/Summer and bugger off to SE Asia again from Oct-March next year, my son has already said he's more than happy to 'mind' my house. And his mother (my best friend ex-wife) only lives round the corner as well so she will keep a close eye on him lol.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Storm Abigail arrives up North today guys so take care . The first storm of winter. Lets hope its not the start of storm after storm hitting our shores, that would be most depressing!

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Look out, Barney is on the way!! Fred Flintstone next!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join