It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Winter 2015

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
So another winter around the corner and a very mild start to November. The anticipation of some snow this winter is always a hope more than a reality but I have come into contact with several people claiming its going to be a long hard winter. This is treated with head shaking and eye rolling by most but one guy claims to have studied the weather for years and said all of natures signs this year point to a long hard winter. He didn't say what the signs were but time will tell if he's right. l don't believe it will be for the record as Devon is a snow free zone generally due to our warmer climate than farther North. Any one out there with pearls of wisdom regarding this winter are welcome on the thread and lets see who records the first snowflake falling from our skies this winter!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gilbis

I have no comment, other than to say:

I miss the touch of Winter upon my neck, her claws upon my flesh, her breath in my ear, and the sensation of her passage through these lands.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
We've had some mild winters for a number of years so I've been telling everyone at the start of winter "it's going to a bad winter this time". I'm going to be right one of these times.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm hoping for a snowy winter here in the states.
Not so much below zero temps though.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

It'll be what it'll be, the Tabloids say it will be a harsh one every year but living on pretty much the most Southern point of the Devon coast it's never much of a problem for me.
In 25+ years living here I've seen snow twice, one time it lasted two days, the last time it was melted by the afternoon.
I haven't even seen frost on the grass for about 3 Winters.

I can't stand Winter, wretched season if you ask me, it's why I moved South all those years ago. I like Summer Sun, beach parties, cliff jumping into the sea, camping, BBQ's, and festivals, all the fun things which the Winter witch despises, Bah humbug! Ditch Winter, should be banned!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I miss the touch of Winter upon my neck, her claws upon my flesh, her breath in my ear, and the sensation of her passage through these lands.

You obviously don't live in the Highlands.....

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Much prefer these mild winters. The cold is horrible. As I get older I'm starting to appreciate seasons but I'll always favour summer... Although they're a different beast recently. Cloudy, humid, starts early and limps through until the end of September.

This thread is very English.
edit on 9-11-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
El Niño probably going to cause some winter havoc around the world, so there could easily come some snowstorms this winter in the Northern hemisphere Incl. Europe .

I for one would love some snow here in Scandinavia, it has been nothing but rain mixed with some hours lasting powder snow or sleet the last few winters, can't even ice skate as lakes has to thin ice.
edit on 9-11-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Every year they tell us its going to be a terrible winter with lots of snow and every winter we can get a little dust if we are lucky.

I'm one of the few people who actually likes Winter (that is until after Christmas and New Year then I hate it). I like seeing all the lights on in the house and the fire burning. Getting inside the house and getting all snuggly buggly with my son, eating warm toast round the fire.

I love snow as well. I'm still a bit of a child when it comes to snow.

In recent years though snow and this time of year in general make me really sad and nostalgic. My dad died 5 years ago in the March time but it was at this time of year we found out he only had months left. My dad was a really outdoors man. The last time we ever went out together as a family, (him, my two sisters and my son and I) was at the end of November, beginning of December. We went to a farm up on the Snake Pass, Derbyshire. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. He bought a CD and put on "Wonderful World" in the car, I was driving and it took my breath away. I was transported back to being a little girl and it was Christmas and this song was playing. I knew before I looked through my rear mirror that my eldest sister would be crying. I was correct.

It was the year when we did have loads of snow (the most I could remember for years). No one could move their cars the snow was so deep and so my dad came to stay with me as by now he was becoming thinner and weaker. I can remember huge snow drops falling through the window and going outside with my little boy to make a snowman. My dad was so weak by then he could only look through the window and I will always remember turning round smiling to show him what David and I had created. He had tears rolling down his face. Up until then he hadn't accepted that he had a terminal illness but I knew that day he had accepted it. As our eyes met it was an almost telepathic moment. This is one of the many photographs that pop into my mind at this time of year.

Sorry for going off topic there, but I think weather and seasons are all beautiful in their own ways and rather like songs and smells, they each have their own feelings and emotions. Winter always makes me nostalgic and yet I love it. So bring it on Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm hoping for a snowy winter here in the states. Not so much below zero temps though.

I'm the other way around.

I don't mind the freezing temps, it's the dang snow that drives me nuts.

Snowblow/shovel the driveway and sidewalks only to wake up the next morning to have to do it all over again.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Compared to mainland europe, the UK doesnt have a winter. Just mild, rainy, and miserable. But when it snows and is actually cold for a week, the whole country comes to a standstill...again unlike mainland europe. Every year im sure they claim its going to be the warmest summer on record or the coldest winter. No mate, go to germany to see what cold is in winter, or anywhere else to see what hot is in summer.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Every Summer they say we are going to have a heatwave. They said it yet again this May. They said the heatwave would start half way through May and go on until late August. Ever the optimist I set off down to Devon end of May and was bloody freezing. Never been so sold in my life! Still feeling optimistic I went to Devon again in August and it rained constantly for 10 days. I'm just not listening anymore!

Then every winter they tell us we are going to be buried alive under 20 foot of snow. Every year we get a little sprinkling that disappears after 5 minutes. However, this year for New News Eve I have decided to go to LIncolnshire. I have to go over Woodhead in the Peak District to get there. I will bet you any money this year we will get 20 foot of snow which will coincide with me going there, such is the British weather! a reply to: Debunkology

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

No I do not. But unlike the rest of the thin blooded, weakly constructed fools in my county, I do not fear rugged terrain, wind, rain, snow, or just plain old cold. I love it. It brings me to life, while everything and everyone around me is cowering in the nearest shelter they can find. Me? If it snows down my way I will be out in every blizzard, if its wet out I will be getting a face full of every rain storm, if there's thunder in the offing I will be out daring every lightning bolt to touch me.

I just love it. It makes my spine thrum with anticipation, makes the hairs on my neck stand up, makes me feel like I am forty feet tall and bulletproof. I head butt the winter, and it learns to love me for it. That's why I miss it so much. It's been a few years now since we had a half way decent winter by my standards, and I hope we get one this year. It actually messes with my body when we do not get a proper winter. Autumn just turns directly into spring and then its summer, then autumn again and then spring again, and I never know where to put myself. My clock needs a hard reset, and there's nothing as good for that, as exposing oneself to coastal windchill, to boost the effects of a forty mile an hour blizzard.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Ever the optimist I set off down to Devon end of May and was bloody freezing. Never been so sold in my life! Still feeling optimistic I went to Devon again in August and it rained constantly for 10 days. I'm just not listening anymore
I totally understand, this years Summer was pretty crap, in fact it actually started and finished in April, I wrote a thread about it lol: Sunburned in April in the UK??!!! How is your weather?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I will have a read. I would much rather be in Devon though in dismal weather that up North!! I lived in Jersey for quite a few years and the weather there is similar (or even a little better) than Devon and Cornwall. I just loved the lifestyle barbeques, surfing etc. It was a much more chilled out way of life. I've said many times if and when anything happens to my mum I don't think I will be sticking around this part of the Country. I would love to move down to Devon even if it means private renting. I think it would be better for my child as well. My nephews and nieces were bought up in Bath and they all now live in London but they have definitely had more life chances in that area of the Country than if they had been born up here. When I lived in Jersey and used to come home to Manchester I used to know I was home when I looked out of the window and saw a blanket of grey cloud lol a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well I think it will be a wet winter and it will have its cold damp spells with a little snow
However it is a balmy 17 degrees right now (22.45) in Middlesbrough North East of England it may well be the hottest November night on record !
It would seem to me that the humidity in the UK has increased year on year as ive aged. I see much more moss growth on building roofs, drains that seem to partially block with black microbial slime
I personally love the four seasons over the year but we seem more and more to have three or four seasons in one month

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
I will have a read. I would much rather be in Devon though in dismal weather that up North!! I lived in Jersey for quite a few years and the weather there is similar (or even a little better) than Devon and Cornwall. I just loved the lifestyle barbeques, surfing etc.

I used to live in Cornwall. Great for a holiday but a totally dull place to live. Very strange seasons in the fact it has none. Mild all the way through (actually has palm trees because of the mild winters). No snow ever there and the summers are hotter up north! One thing that does change is the seas temperature, it can be warm in the summer with no waves or "ice cream headache" time in the winter with big waves, but totally not enjoyable when your balls are hanging from your throat.
edit on 9-11-2015 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Also - is it just me or has anyone noticed it is lighter in a morning this year? I get up for work at 06,50 and it's pretty much fully light. I'm sure last year (and the previous years when I was starting later) it was almost totally dark at these times in the morning?

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology
I used to live in Cornwall. Great for a holiday but a totally dull place to live.
I guess it all depends on your social circles. I have many friends on the other side of the Tamar and their lives are far from dull, beach parties, surfing, kayaking, cliff jumping, jet-skiing, dance parties in the moors, I could go on.

Very strange seasons in the fact it has none. Mild all the way through (actually has palm trees because of the mild winters). No snow ever there and the summers are hotter up north! One thing that does change is the seas temperature, it can be warm in the summer with no waves or "ice cream headache" time in the winter with big waves, but totally not enjoyable when your balls are hanging from your throat.
I would have to disagree there, from personal experience and this wiki link which shows that temperature averages down here range from 1 to 4 Celsius in the Winter and 18 to 22 Celsius in the Summer.
You are correct of course that it is generally mild all year compared to the rest of the UK, as I said earlier I haven't seen frost for at least 3 Winters, but is there a difference between the seasons? Yes, clearly, for example there are not so many bikini's to be seen at my local beach right now. Just dog walkers wearing coats.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well, Yorkshire has a been disappointment so far this winter. Wet and windy rather than cold and frosty / snowy. I was also expecting a harsh winter (migratory birds very early, etc) but no, it's just pants. As usual.

On the plus side though, we seem to getting proper pea souper fog again this winter. Could only just see the front of the car last week (on most days, right through the day). I used to love it as a kid but we haven't really had it that bad since.

On a side note, i would expect Devon and Cornwall to get colder than they are used to in the years ahead. All the Greenland glacial melt is cooling the North Atlantic. If you check the expected global sea temperature projections (NASA / Woods Hole, etc) for the years ahead, pretty much everywhere in the oceans is warming (rapidly).......apart from the North Atlantic which is getting colder. This water will eventually drive the Gulf Stream south (which happens anyway, naturally) whic in turn means Devon and Cornwell get to join the rest of us in shivering a lot more!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join