It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you Smoke Cigarettes, Your a Loser!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You're*

Dick.

I say that because you are calling people who, in reality, are struggling with an addiction that is sometimes worse than heroin to kick.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one
a reply to: boymonkey74

I'm allergic to monkeys you selfish narcissistic primate. Stop polluting my air with your dander.

Stop polluting my air by driving a car or farting then.
You worry about 2nd hand smoke with cars going past you and all the pollutants in the air?.
You all got no smoking in enclosed areas and at work and now you all want us to just stop everywhere?.
Personal choice and lets face it you can get run over by a bus so you may as well enjoy that sweet smooth taste of baccy.
I like a smoke, people who smoke harm me less then people who drink in my experience and I bet you like a drink every now and then.
Oh and someone said before this is a major 1st world problem....

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

Many people pick up cigarettes in College and then
find it easy to quit. That is not the case with those
who started smoking at age 13 or 14.

When the substance is introduced into the body
during that critical age of puberty, the body
become more dependent on it.

Just because it was easy for you to quite, does
mean it SHOULD be just as easy for others.

Again, the age you started smoking is a critical
factor in how hard or easy it is to stop.

That's interesting to me because I started at the age of 13 and have been able to quit for periods of time, but went back dealing with life's overly stressful occasions. The only way I see myself quitting now is if life granted me the peace of mind to relax on a day today basis or if I should ever find myself taking care of a baby.
If I never picked up a smoke at such a young age, I could see why it would be easier to put down the nasty little habit. The minds of teenagers are still developing on into very early twenties as far as I'm concerned and learning coping mechanisms for later on in life. I coped in teenhood with a cigarette in hand.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: odinsway

I've never seen a brownie produce smoke...

You've never had the pleasure of visiting my mother-in-law's kitchen. Man, she could make ANYTHING smoke!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Anyone under the age of about 40 years old who smokes is clearly too stupid to breed. I can sort of give a pass to older people who smoke as it wasn't really as apparent to the harm it causes. However, when I see someone say under 40 years old who smokes, you really have to question their overall intelligence. Why even start?

Nothing turns me off than seeing a hot chick light up a cigarette. The only redeeming quality about chicks who smoke is that they usually are easy and probably swallow.

The comments so far!

Got as far as yours and I thought "At last!"

I'm hitting on sixty, and still smoking, but like you mentioned, I was taught the following -
Smoking makes you a man!
Smoking is good for your health!
Smoking protects your teeth!
Ladies love a man who smokes!
Etc etc....

I was raised on tv ads that repeated all of the above daily!
I'd been smoking for twenty years or more before they started telling me it was bad for me.

With a drug as addictive as nicotine, and having used it for so many years, giving up is just about impossible. I've had experience of other 'substances over the years, and none of them have the addiction power of nicotine.
I partly agree with you when you say the younger generation should know better, but I suspect many of them have parents who smoke, parents who like me were taught that smoking was good for them.
So, for the youngsters raised by smoking parents, I'd maybe put the blame on the parents.

None of my own children smoke, and they are adults now, but I made sure my kids knew what I was doing was a bad thing - its not easy to put oneself down to ones own kids! but I suspect most parents don't properly explain.

As I said, I partly agree, but I think we need another generation before we say "They should know better"

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I dont know if people who smok are losers.. just weak minded.
Smoking isn't a flaw, its an addiction. People quit all the time, people struggle with it. But in the end if you stay strong you will quit.

I hate smoking, cigs.. why do people still do it after all the evidence that its destroying you?
if your a smoker you should be removed from the public health system. Pay for your own damn cancer treatment.
edit on pm735308082015-11-08T19:35:46-06:00072015p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

I dont know if people who smok are losers.. just weak minded.
Smoking isn't a flaw, its an addiction. People quit all the time, people struggle with it. But in the end if you stay strong you will quit.

I hate smoking, cigs.. why do people still do it after all the evidence that its destroying you?
if your a smoker you should be removed from the public health system. Pay for your own damn cancer treatment.

Well the misinformation that is out there really doesnt help...looky here smoking is not all bad,at least according to the author of the thread..www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Anyone under the age of about 40 years old who smokes is clearly too stupid to breed. I can sort of give a pass to older people who smoke as it wasn't really as apparent to the harm it causes. However, when I see someone say under 40 years old who smokes, you really have to question their overall intelligence. Why even start?

Nothing turns me off than seeing a hot chick light up a cigarette. The only redeeming quality about chicks who smoke is that they usually are easy and probably swallow.

The comments so far!

I'm hitting on sixty, and still smoking, but like you mentioned, I was taught the following -
Smoking makes you a man!
Etc etc....

I'd been smoking for twenty years or more before they started telling me it was bad for me.

With a drug as addictive as nicotine, and having used it for so many years, giving up is just about impossible. I've had experience of other 'substances over the years, and none of them have the addiction power of nicotine.
I partly agree with you when you say the younger generation should know better, but I suspect many of them have parents who smoke, parents who like me were taught that smoking was good for them.
So, for the youngsters raised by smoking parents, I'd maybe put the blame on the parents.

None of my own children smoke, and they are adults now, but I made sure my kids knew what I was doing was a bad thing - its not easy to put oneself down to ones own kids! but I suspect most parents don't properly explain.

As I said, I partly agree, but I think we need another generation before we say "They should know better"

I'd like to add that alot of folks born before the 80's, like myself, had parents who smoked while in the womb.
A co-worker of mine was expecting a baby with his wife and he told me how his Mother's doctor told her that smoking was good for her as it would help to relax her.
My Mom smoked while I was in her belly and I was born fine.(i'm by no means suggesting a mother smoke while pregnant)
I just think that everyone's constitution is different and that I've also met hard core smokers that lived well past their late seventies.
Another thing to consider with folks getting ill from cigarettes is the quality of food being down graded over the years.... more sugar, GMO's, poor soil quality, antibiotics in meat and dairy, hormones in meat and dairy, preservatives...
Smoking is bad and not for everyone, but I know too many good people to go around saying they are losers with no strength to beat the habit. Life can be tough on people and it really boils down to how we treat one another. An open mind, compassion and kindness go a long way and lead to longevity as the body responds better to love than hate.
And I know that lung cancer hurts peoples lives, I certainly wouldn't say to someone who is dying, "your a loser'' and I wouldn't make that comment to someone who has lost somebody to lung cancer,'' your loved one was a loser'' imagine that?
Being nice is far better than name calling, IMHO.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

In the uk the tax collected from tobacco sales was actually propping up our national health service! To be more specific - The money collected from the smokers meant a better health service for ALL!
So, if you want smokers to be excluded from the nhs maybe they should be given back all the tax monies they have paid? Of course that would mean YOU would have to pay MORE tax!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

originally posted by: VoidHawk

The comments so far!

Smoking makes you a man!
Etc etc....

I'd like to add that alot of folks born before the 80's, like myself, had parents who smoked while in the womb.
A co-worker of mine was expecting a baby with his wife and he told me how his Mother's doctor told her that smoking was good for her as it would help to relax her.
My Mom smoked while I was in her belly and I was born fine.(i'm by no means suggesting a mother smoke while pregnant)
I just think that everyone's constitution is different and that I've also met hard core smokers that lived well past their late seventies.
Another thing to consider with folks getting ill from cigarettes is the quality of food being down graded over the years.... more sugar, GMO's, poor soil quality, antibiotics in meat and dairy, hormones in meat and dairy, preservatives...
Smoking is bad and not for everyone, but I know too many good people to go around saying they are losers with no strength to beat the habit. Life can be tough on people and it really boils down to how we treat one another. An open mind, compassion and kindness go a long way and lead to longevity as the body responds better to love than hate.
And I know that lung cancer hurts peoples lives, I certainly wouldn't say to someone who is dying, "your a loser'' and I wouldn't make that comment to someone who has lost somebody to lung cancer,'' your loved one was a loser'' imagine that?
Being nice is far better than name calling, IMHO.

Some very good points

I wonder if a mother who smokes while pregnant produces children more likely to smoke, or more easily addicted to smoking?
My parents both smoked, and myself and my brother also smoke. I dont know whether my mother smoked while she was pregnant, although I know for sure she would not have done so if she'd known it was bad, but like you said, back then they were told it was good for them and the baby.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

originally posted by: wasaka

Many people pick up cigarettes in College and then
find it easy to quit. That is not the case with those
who started smoking at age 13 or 14.

When the substance is introduced into the body
during that critical age of puberty, the body
become more dependent on it.

Just because it was easy for you to quite, does
mean it SHOULD be just as easy for others.

Again, the age you started smoking is a critical
factor in how hard or easy it is to stop.

That's interesting to me because I started at the age of 13 and have been able to quit for periods of time, but went back dealing with life's overly stressful occasions. The only way I see myself quitting now is if life granted me the peace of mind to relax on a day today basis or if I should ever find myself taking care of a baby.
If I never picked up a smoke at such a young age, I could see why it would be easier to put down the nasty little habit. The minds of teenagers are still developing on into very early twenties as far as I'm concerned and learning coping mechanisms for later on in life. I coped in teenhood with a cigarette in hand.

I also began smoking at 13. I suppose it was stress to some degree, just teen-angst, but more because it was just so cool. But in reality I'd always had some nicotine in my body I suppose because my Daddy always had a pipe or cigar after dinner. That's the time I would crawl up in his lap for a read. I loved the smell, and still do.
I also worked in the tobacco field/barn from the time I was about six years old until I was 13 so I'm sure that I got quite a bit from absorption.
The funny thing is that in those days I was strictly a social smoker. A pack of ciggies might last me a month or longer.
It wasn't until I began working at a hospital that I actually got addicted to the point that I smoked several ciggies every day because everyone else was smoking. (It was also while working there that I became addicted to coffee! I gave up drinking soda but substituted coffee.)
I've never tried to quit. I enjoy each one. My smoking does go up with stress levels, as does my coffee consumption. I try to keep my consumption to about 10/day but that really depends on how much stupidity I find myself in the midst of. (Lately, family issues have put me at almost a pack a day for a a few days.) Doing extended research and writing also causes my consumption to rise.
I still view smoking as a very social activity. Sharing tobacco with friends after a good meal has been a part of my family's culture for a very long time. I have no problem with folks who don't wish to join us, just with those who would curtail my right to burn tobacco or any other plant in my home.
All five of our kids picked up ciggies at some point but only one became addicted. They quit when they had kids or became social smokers.
So, yeah, I'm addicted to three substances, nicotine, caffeine and chocolate. Those are my drugs of choice to keep me on a even keel. If I am denied access to any one of those substances for an extended period of time, my mood tends to get edgy and progress to downright nasty.
That's why my welcoming speech to each field crew or field school class included this exhortation: "If you feel the need at 6 AM to bring some matter to my attention for thoughtful consideration, you should first take the time to procure a large mocha coffee and be willing to be patient enough to allow me to consume half of it and smoke a cigarette before you hit me with it. Your life will go much more smoothly if you follow that simple rule. I don't function well in areas requiring thoughtful consideration when I'm in withdrawal."

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

And I know that lung cancer hurts peoples lives, I certainly wouldn't say to someone who is dying, "your a loser'' and I wouldn't make that comment to someone who has lost somebody to lung cancer,'' your loved one was a loser'' imagine that? Being nice is far better than name calling, IMHO.

You might be surprised to learn how many health professionals in today's world will actually say those things to lung cancer patients. There seems to be some sort of movement amongst the tobacco-Nazis that causes them to berate lung cancer patients for their behavior. I've had half a dozen friends who have undergone such treatment and every one reported at least two or three of their "care-givers" (most often it was a social worker) attempted to extract what could only be called, "Confession and repentance." And they were being treated at public hospitals, not associated with any religious organization.

When this happened to a dear friend of mine who had suffered with the side effects of Agent Orange for years, he asked the social worker if she had ever heard of Agent Orange. He reported that the blank, deer-in-the-headlights look was in her eye when she flatly stated, "Everybody knows that smoking causes cancer, not soda." He knew that any further discussion was futile.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Your comments about the Health Care Professionals caught my attention. In the uk as you probably know; health care is free. If we feel ill we just visit the doc, no forms no fees we just walk in when we need to. After my last few visits I left feeling that I wasn't taken seriously. I mentioned this to a friend and he said quite bluntly "Its because you smoke!"
Surprised by what he said I asked him how he knew that, and he said on his last visit to the docs they told him "Come back when you've given up smoking".

The next time I need to visit my doc I will be asking some questions!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Surprised by what he said I asked him how he knew that, and he said on his last visit to the docs they told him "Come back when you've given up smoking".

The next time I need to visit my doc I will be asking some questions!

This happened to a friend of mine recently,the doctor basically told him to stop wasting his time and return if and when he gave up smoking...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Are you in the uk? I'm wondering if this is a nationwide thing? We pay taxes the same as they do and should expect the same level of care.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt lol, withdrawal is no fun... did you say Coffee? Where, where? I'm with you on that vice.
I love the smell of tobacco pipe too and bought Tobacco Absolute oil because it smells just like the real thing.
I started out smoking with my rebel friends socially and also found that after or in the middle of a heartfelt cry, a smoke would calm my overly sensitive teenage mind.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I am in Aussieland

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

When I last purchased health insurance I paid a extra fee because I admitted smoking. That's in addition to the sin taxes on ciggies.

Today in the US, every form filled out for Medicare coverage asks if you smoke or are a former smoker. If you don't answer that question on the form every single time, you are "cautioned" to be sure to fill in all the answers.
My Beloved went from smoking to not smoking and then to vaping.
Fortunately for us, our primary care doc is a smoker so he understands managing stress with nicotine instead of booze or even more dangerous chemicals.

A number of our local physicians have signs posted in their lobbies stating that they do not accept smokers as patients. Other accept smokers but then use ridicule and derision to attempt to cure an addiction. One in particular that I've heard is exceedingly nasty happens to be carrying around about 70 extra pounds. I can't even imagine having that kind of arrogance.

Edit to add: At one time in the US, before the full implementation of Insurance Company Takeover, if you needed to see the doc, you made an appointment, saw the doc and paid a few bucks as an office visit fee. If you had health insurance and had met your deductible, you might need to sign an insurance form.
Today, for something as simple as a consultation on a suspicious mole, I was handed six pages of forms to fill out, front and back. Then I had to provide a picture ID. Then I had to sign a form that said that I did not have health insurance and would pay the fee at the end of the visit. Vast forests are disappearing due to obsessive/compulsive bureaucrats needing to cover their behinds.

edit on 8-11-2015 by diggindirt because: addtional info

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My father smoked unfiltered Camels starting at 14 years old. It finally caught up with him at age 62. He loved it and lived life on his own terms. I've been around second hand smoke my whole life. I can still breathe. On the flip side, I don't like breathing carcinogens in, but they're in the air anyway, no matter where you go. If you really think about it, life is a crap shoot and when you die is largely dependent on genetics, intake of pollution and when age or other factors catch up to you. I don't like second hand smoke in large doses, but occasionally isn't an issue. Dad inhaled cigarette smoke for 50 years, I'm sure I'll be ok.

Side note... I think blaming climate change (*cough* global warming *cough*) on animal farts is pretty hilarious.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I will never understand the need for modern man to OBSESS over the lives of others. As far as "it kills me too", well, dont you dare cross a busy street because you will be inhaling much worse chemicals at a higher dosage than walking by a smoker.

But really, why should anyone have to put up with others trying to tell them how to live.

Life is too short to waste even a moment with nonsense like this.

If you care that we smoke, you are insane.

edit on 11 12 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5   >>

join