It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston's Equal Rights Ordinance Discussion/Results

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
HERO FAQ

Five Things to Know About the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance

www.cbsnews.com...

"The Houston Equal Rights Ordinance will ensure every Houstonian is protected from discrimination, regardless of their faith, race, age, gender and more," Rabbi Joshua Herman of Congregation Beth Israel in Houston said Monday at a news conference as Houston Unites, the campaign backing the ordinance, made its final push ahead of Election Day.

---------------------

There is a lot of Disinformation and untruths being passed around with this being regarded as the "Bathroom Bill". if people would look past their own blind ignorance maybe they could see that this bill is including 15 protected characteristics

www.msnbc.com...

If adopted, HERO will prohibit discrimination in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment on the basis of 15 protected characteristics, including sexual orientation and gender identity – thus going further than both federal and state law. The ordinance would also establish explicit prohibitions in the city’s code against discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, marital status, military status, religion, disability, genetic information, and pregnancy – characteristics already protected under federal law.

------------
mic.com...

This "Fear" of Men going into a Woman's restroom pretending to be Trans to take advantage of them is absurd, in places that already have that protection there have been No increase in attacks in woman's restrooms by "Men". and what is stopping a Male from entering a Woman's restroom anyway?

Do you expect Trans Woman to go into a Males Restroom and pretend they wont have an increase in attacks?
------------------

Hopefully Houston gets it right....

Les try and keep this discussion centered around the entire Bill and the results when they come out, and not on attacking GLBTQ+ people, or purposely using the wrong pronouns for Trans-People

+29 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yep, because pandering to people that play dress-up is a priority.

edit on 3-11-2015 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Sorry but did you read the Bill? The links provided? who is included?

or just use this opportunity to toss out an ignorant statement?

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I wish the people of Houston and this BILL all the best, but I fear that the State Legislature will come up with, if they haven't already, their own version of the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act, and nullify Houston's efforts.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I don't care how they spin it, if my niece tells me there is a man in the ladies room I am gona stand by the door until it comes out and beat the snot of it. If you are not anatomically and genetically female, just don't. There are plenty of unisex restrooms. Or here is a thought, Y chromosome folks... just use the mens room... not complicated. Allowing these people who want to pretend with all their might they are something they very much are not is an insult to everyone who is mentally sound, reasonably well adjusted and ok with what and who they were born as. There is no need or justification to make the majority uncomfortable in public to pacify the minority.

(Mods no offence to anyone in particular, I would have the same issue with a girl in my sons restroom, X chromosome goes here Y goes there)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Here is hoping Gov. Abbot has enough sense to end this in it's tracks.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They should build transgender bathrooms.

This is overreach.

& ultimately it should be a decision for people who have used the bathrooms their whole life.

Not representatives or societal morals.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

This election in Houston on this mayor's watch?

You got nothing to worry about; she's assured of getting the result she wants.

They're also having a Mayoral Election in Houston. To find out who's going to win you go to the Houston Chronicle website and see who they're endorsing to get the scoop. Sylvester Turner's the choice.

Silly thing about Houston is that the Mayoral races are supposed to be "non-partisan" but no one but Democrats run; and its a near entirely Democrat City. I think the last Republican left Houston in 1979. So who "wins" an election is decided within the party elites themselves and then the Chronicle touches base with them to get its "recommendations". The elections are just a "confirmation" process. Of course, turnout will be pathetic, but no one really cares anyway. Houston has reached its geographical limit so the Houston Political machine can't do much damage anymore, at least on a local level.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

(Mods no offence to anyone in particular, I would have the same issue with a girl in my sons restroom, X chromosome goes here Y goes there)

So you'd beat the snot out of the girl too?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Don't care about any of it. I use the restroom to pee or to poop. Not socialize. People should be free to do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

I don't want this to turn into another topic about Trans issues because this bill is NOT only about the Bathroom, but people are blind to their own ignorance and can only focus on one thing.

How about an Assigned Male who has Two X Chromosomes, would you be Ok with them using a Woman's Restroom because "X" goes here?

de la Chapelle syndrome

Trans people are not "Mentally Unsound"..

Now that we got some Trans bashing out of the way, can we actually focus on the whole Bill

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Like what they hope to Pass in Florida...

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
We need to create a 3rd, universal, single person bathroom for those people that are gender confused. This way whatever you think you are you get the privacy you need without freaking out normal people. This seems like a fair solution for everyone.
edit on 2015/11/3 by Metallicus because: Spelling Correction

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The Last i check it's losing 62% to 38%

i can't believe that it could fail, the Bill didn't specifically mention bathrooms, but people turned int into a disinfo hate and fear campaign.

Do people not realize this covers everyone from being discriminated against?

www.houequality.com...

Religious institutions were even exempt from it

www.houequality.com...

Hopefully this takes a turn for the better....

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I didn't expect this thread to be t h i s. Ugh.

Once a person has surgery, they should be pronounced LEGALLY the new gender. Fight with THAT.
You people have lost it..........
edit on 11/3/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Maybe the Mayor of Houston should have been a better advocate than she was? Demanding that pastors turn in their sermons is not a very smart move to make before claiming that religious institutions will be exempt from a bill. That episode is still fresh on people's minds I'll bet. And even though she isn't running, it may have made a bit of a negative impression.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I like that the law is only being enforced by cultural norms. In reality for a person telling me I am or not a tray is an opinion.
Can't wait to see a fake tranny argue in court they are not. Define a tranny legally. This case will mean a lot. Either register as tranny or face the law? Having a culture decide which is what for law shall be lolz.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This isn't the least surprising at all. Look at it this way, it has been introduced to the public at large. After the fear factor of the restroom fallacy wears off, it will do better later down the road. It was a valiant effort, Houston. Hopefully, next time around it will pass.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The thing is this "Bathroom Bill" is not what HERO is about, it's about protecting Everyone form discrimination. but they started this fear tactic Hate Campaign saying that "Evil Trans People" will go into Woman's Restrooms and abuse Little Girls.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
The thing is this "Bathroom Bill" is not what HERO is about, it's about protecting Everyone form discrimination. but they started this fear tactic Hate Campaign saying that "Evil Trans People" will go into Woman's Restrooms and abuse Little Girls.

Well under this bill the "Evil Trans People" could go into a woman's restroom. Sorry, but that shouldn't happen in a sane world. Anyone that has a mother, daughter, wife or sister should realize this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join