It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, ATS: How would you define, "race"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Another thing to consider in all this is the role adoption plays.

Someone who is adopted can be of any racial background but will grow up with the cultural behaviors of his or her parents and surrounding society. An ethnic Chinese child adopted to US parents will act in all ways American and more closely identify with American culture than that child will with his or her native Chinese culture in almost every respect despite being a racial/ethnic Chinese.

Kid is not going to magically speak Chinese or know any of the Chinese cultural traits or behaviors unless his or her parents deliberately make an effort to expose him or her to them.

You could reverse this with a racial/ethnic white kid and Chinese parents in China although that, for cultural reasons, is far less likely to happen.
edit on 27-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Running really fast?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

imo there is the human race.... (so no such thing as racist)

...and the human race is made up of different 'breeds' of humans!

simple!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Nah, we're all the same race and species. We're all human.

According to your logic tall people are a different species then short people. We don't need more division we need more unity.

We're all the same.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

imo there is the human race.... (so no such thing as racist)

...and the human race is made up of different 'breeds' of humans!

simple!

No wrong on some accounts, there are no "races" but there are racists Ie; folks who believe in the concept called race and use that to justify oppressing groups of people they dislike based off whatever arbitrary sliding scale they employ.
And again no!.. human are not made up of different breeds, we are not chihuahuas vs great danes, genetics have shown that we are closer than two groups of chimps, for for all the variety we see we are actually fam.

Long vid but explains it all without the scientific jargon .
edit on 27-10-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: Joneselius

How is race only a cultural thing? Isn't it also biological? I don't know if race is truly relative, since we all have definite ancestors. I believe that culture is relative, though.

"race" in scientific terms is not the same as"race" used by government. See were all ONE RACE in truth,BUT we are of DIFFERENT "ETHNIC" BACKROUNDS. "race" as th e government,morons,idiots, and extremist is a "manmade" thing to describe color and its scientifically in correct.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I would define race thusly:

An outmoded term, which describes an irrelevant concept.

There is only one race, the human race. For all the differences between the peoples of the world, all the divisions, and all the enmities at play on this planet, we are more alike than we are different, all of us. We move forward together, or die as one. The only choice remaining to those living on this world, is whether they accept that truth and flourish, or indulge in ignorance and perish.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
We are the human race.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Ummm...Tortoise and Hare...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
How would you define, "race"?

1. Obsession - As of right here and now in the middle of the second decade of the 21st century... it's an unfortunate, societal/cultural obsession that runs rampage.

2. Political Tool - Politics to racial dialogue is like a headsman's ax at the stump; it falls on anyone who dares to speak out in disfavor with the... um, officially-backed obsession. ((Thoonk!!!))

3. Distraction - While the world is being overrun by wars and rumors of wars... while terrorist organizations murder people in ways hitherto almost unimaginable, we are being distracted to look away and focus on the shade of our neighbor's flesh.

I've said this before and I'll say it again; we are an infant species.
Someday, perhaps sooner rather than later, when the nursery door opens, we're gonna poop our diapers.

Best wishes to all.

edit on 28-10-2015 by redoubt because: daily mishap

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: redoubt

Well said.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

use that to justify oppressing groups of people they dislike based off whatever arbitrary sliding scale they employ.

Humans may not be as close as chimps.... But dont kid yourself... we are also a part of the animal kingdom on earth. Different groups of humans have certain different physical, biological, physiological and neurobiological traits. This is simple genetics...

it is not politically correct to say that to people think alike based on all these parameters, but in 90% of the individuals of the world... this IS the case.

I actually wish i had your class in school in this issue, i would've nailed it.... but im not gonna give a dissertation on ATS!

either way, i have oh so much more logic but not gonna type it all up now! lets just say... there is so much more to say...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
No such thing as race. Caucasians, Africans, Asians are all different species. But they don't want to teach this because for some reason, it's offensive. I don't understand why the truth offends anyone.

What defines species? Appearance, body structure, behaviour, to name a few.

Appearance - Whites look different than blacks and Asians. Check.

Body structure - Blacks have types of muscles that whites and Asians don't have. Blacks are susceptible to diseases whites and Asians aren't. All 3 species have different bone structure, notably different sized and shaped craniums. Different lip sizes, nose shapes, sexual organ sizes, to name a few. Check.

Behaviour - this is obvious.

Some will say that we are the same species as we can all interbreed, but this is false. Lions, tigers, etc are all different species, and can also breed together.

Lions and tigers also look different. As do the so called "races" of humans.

Lions and tigers are both cats. Just as the 3 main human species congloids, caucasoids, and mongoloids are all apes.

As for the other "races" such as Hispanics, middle eastern, etc, they are all mixed offspring of two of the major species.

Wrong wrong wrong. They are not diffrent species. a hallmark of a diffrent species is the IN ABILITY to crossmate with another one. They are diffrent ETNICITIES. This was researched as far back as the 60s. People look diffrent due to where they live,lifestyle.environment.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Race is an idea. It was most likely created by some scientist with curiosity. It has become something used to divide people and scapegoat people. In my opinion, the real "racists" are the members of the media that constantly promote division in an effort to reduce the power of individual groups that the members of the media fear.

It is obvious.

The term goes way beyond "stranger" or "different".

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So, what we had to do today, since the discussion on race is due in a couple days, we had to post what our understanding of the course was. And I said this:

This class focuses on the application of critical thinking and analysis in examining how race is represented in the material. I believe that this focus is steering us toward a study of discrimination in society, by identifying what others believe holds importance--and ultimately highlighting how tolerance is essential for a society that hopes to build a successful shared reality, despite the many differences that exist between members.

--And I'm going to cite my use of this forum when applicable in my discussion assignment on defining race. I thank you all for your great ideas and viewpoints which have helped me to think deeper about this issue. I think that my class will benefit greatly from my enhanced perspective thanks to ATS. I think that this site is an indispensable resource for anyone who likes to learn.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

use that to justify oppressing groups of people they dislike based off whatever arbitrary sliding scale they employ.

Humans may not be as close as chimps.... But dont kid yourself... we are also a part of the animal kingdom on earth. Different groups of humans have certain different physical, biological, physiological and neurobiological traits. This is simple genetics...

it is not politically correct to say that to people think alike based on all these parameters, but in 90% of the individuals of the world... this IS the case.

I actually wish i had your class in school in this issue, i would've nailed it.... but im not gonna give a dissertation on ATS!

either way, i have oh so much more logic but not gonna type it all up now! lets just say... there is so much more to say...

L
Ok can you define and name the races like how many are there.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I see. Thank you for those fantastic counter-arguments. I think you're right, now.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

L
Ok can you define and name the races like how many are there.

Yes.

There is 1 race, the human race.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Humans technically don't have a subspecies biologically. We are too similar genetically and there are no geographic barriers to interbreeding(humans can travel pretty well) there are no breeding barriers(think great dane and a Chihuahua ).

Do you want the 18th century definition of race or the biological definition of race?

Biologically it would be a sub-species. Here are three types of "humanoids".

Order: Primate
Suborder: Haplorhini
Family: Hominid
Genus:Homo
Species:Homo Sapiens

Order
rimate
Family:Hominid
Genus: Homo
Species: Homo Neanderthalensis

Order: Primate
Family:Hominid
Genus: Homo
Species: Homo Floresiensis(the real life hobbit)

biology.stackexchange.com...

There is a huge phenotypal difference between a Sheepdog, a St. Bernard, and a Labrador. There is a larger genetic difference in dogs compared to humans(they are all the same species and their genetic difference is extremely small but more than humans).

Ask yourself this.
How many times can a human have incest offspring until they become infertile,deformed and stillborn.

OK.

How many times can a dog or any other animal have incest offspring until they become infertile,deformed, and stillborn?

Its a lot more than a human because humans have low genetic diversity. Most of our genetic diversity is in our immune system(fighting against harmful bacterium,fungi,virii,parasites etc).
edit on 1-11-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
race is what ethnicity you appear to be to others. which in itself is a faulty presumption because everyone on the globe has mixed ancestry. so basically most people play a guessing game based on what shade of skin you have to determine that you are of a singular "race" when in fact they will always be incorrect in their assumption.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join