It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ATS care so much about sources and tags?? Facebook & Reddit don't...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why does ATS care so much about linking sources and using the proper tags?? Facebook & Reddit don't. is the title and here is the body [which contains the answer to that question]

Meet SamandNiko, content creators on Youtube. Check out their channel if you have time or like the video below.

Here is an interesting video they made on 'freebooting' where people link back content created by others without sourcing or citing, aka: giving credit where it's deserved. They explain that on Facebook people are using it to promote themselves, which in turn can earn them revenue [Im not totally familiar with the model used on FB, but they explain] or reuploading to Youtube without sources, or even Reddit, where people take others work and post it for their own Karma [not money, so its less insidious they argue]

I found this video earlier today, after watching it and admitting that I really had no idea 'freebooting' was even a thing, first thing I thought of was ATS, where people always get credit for their work. And it makes a lot of sense.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Because ATS is about verifiable fact. As much as possible anyway. Facebook, Youtube and all the rest are more of "friend of a friend's Uncle George said he heard that......" with no way to prove it. If people could make money off what they posted here, it's go to Hell pretty quick, with every man and his dog making up stories just for clicks. We have enough trolls and political whores as it is, we don't need profit involved.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
Regardless of what we post here someone's making money anyways. Maybe not the person with an original post or content but someone is. Nothings gone to hell yet. I think sources and linked sites here is because the crowd here likes to read farther into verifiable facts I agree with alot of what you said though. Then again Cortana on windows updates a news headline, I wait 30-40 seconds and boom its posted here. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother looking at current events here other then the commentary.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well ethically, it is better to credit people for their work instead of claiming it for yourself. Plus it would be weird if people just posted ridiculous things on this conspiracy site without any sources, they would sound schizofrenic.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Because ATS is about verifiable fact. As much as possible anyway. Facebook, Youtube and all the rest are more of "friend of a friend's Uncle George said he heard that......" with no way to prove it. If people could make money off what they posted here, it's go to Hell pretty quick, with every man and his dog making up stories just for clicks. We have enough trolls and political whores as it is, we don't need profit involved.

Ya that what Honey Pot demand
we need your source so we can ?????
LOL if I ever find something interesting this will be the last place I put it

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Well ethically, it is better to credit people for their work instead of claiming it for yourself. Plus it would be weird if people just posted ridiculous things on this conspiracy site without any sources, they would sound schizofrenic.

Have you ever wandered into the Grey Area forum?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Did you know that when you watch vids here on mobile they started ending up on your YouTube history? Half the vids on here have really good comment and or discriptions that I never saw before I figured out that trick.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Because ATS is about verifiable fact.

Isn't ATS a conspiracy THEORY site?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Did you know that when you watch vids here on mobile they started ending up on your YouTube history? Half the vids on here have really good comment and or discriptions that I never saw before I figured out that trick.

If you watch embedded Youtube videos anywhere that will happen. Google, owning Youtube, benefits from the lions share of tracking cookies and uses them to "personalize" all of their "services" - including Youtube.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
First of all: Deny Ignorance is this site's motto. I love to see the ATS community tear apart a video or picture that is posted here. Most notable veteran members' opinions are respected because they usually get to the bottom of topics faster than most. Scrutiny on this site is essential to... deny ignorance. We must work together to bring reason to these forums, by way of multiple individuals vetting and scrutinizing whatever shows up on this site.

When I come across things that I can't explain, or think that the ATS community would appreciate, I will share those things just to get everyone's opinion or input about that topic. Don't get me wrong, I love to read into far out theories that most likely have no stake in reality, but when it comes to making serious claims, you better have a source, or some sort of proof of said claims, or ATS will DESTROY YOU

Second: Pics, or it didn't happen.

Hahahaha

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Isn't ATS a conspiracy THEORY site?

I believe it was about a decade ago.
It has, over the years, morphed into a social commentary, political, mainstream news collection site.
Conspiracy probably makes up 20% of threads now but this is the way of the world I suppose - with all of the serious stuff in the world and the economy screwed, people seem to prefer reality and misery as opposed to what ifs and aliens and time travel etc.
It's understandable but ATS is poles apart from the site it was 10+ years ago.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I get tired of reading threads with no source or poorly sourced evidence to back up claim. Might as well just say, "my mate down the pub's cousin reckons there's a secret group controlling the world".

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

What's wrong with providing a source and some facts to any thread no matter what subject

new topics

top topics

join