It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists object to Christmas toy drive on Air Force base – and win

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Can military personnel collect toys for a Christian charity serving orphans worldwide? Not on our watch, atheists say.

Less than 24 hours after the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) objected to military personnel at an airbase in Delaware being invited through official channels to volunteer with Operation Christmas Child (OCC) – a Christian charity – the atheist group has already won its victory.

In an email to Air Force personnel with the 436th Force Support Squadron Oct. 20, squadron commander Lt. Col. Donald Tasker said that the invitation to volunteer, which "contained language supporting the Christian faith and encouraged participation in this event as an act of Christian faith," was not sent at his direction or "endorsed in any way by me or any level of command."

LINK

Really? This is charity, wanting to supply toys around the world to those who live in poverty but atheist would prefer the children to go without because of what? I have been involved with a few charities myself and you don't see Christian messages on the boxes or inside the boxes the children receive.

This is hateful and wrong. So whats next? Stop sending food and medicine to the poor because the Red Cross has a cross on its supplies?

edit on 23-10-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Oct 24 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

This is hateful and wrong. So whats next? Stop sending food and medicine to the poor because the Red Cross has a cross on its supplies?

Don't give them any ideas!

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The Air Force has a long history of forcing Christianity.

They've been taken to court more then once.

I support Separation of Church and State 100%.

They wanna collect toys? Don't call it Christmas.

+25 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
What about us atheists that celebrate the holidays to be with family. You don't have to be a Christian to have family values.
I wish atheists like WBC would keep their hands and thoughts off of other peoples happiness.....

edit on 23-10-2015 by Bigburgh because: spelling and grammar

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That is a good point.
I'm wandering if they'll go after the Marines next..
But the Marines call it Toys for Tots.

+40 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

"They wanna collect toys? Don't call it Christmas."

Let me get this straight, if I may...

Toy collecting for underprivileged children is okay if the word "Christmas' is not attached but if it is... these kids can go without?

Izzat what you're saying?

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm what some may call an "Athiest" (personally I call it "I don't care") and I think it's ridiculous.

If they want to collect toys for kids then I see no problem at all with that. Some people take the whole "Atheism" thing way too far at times.

link   
You mean the Air Force won't be dropping christmas toys on Afghan children this year?

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

This is charity, wanting to supply toys around the world to those who live in poverty but atheist would prefer the children to go without because of what?

This is a Christian charity and that's the problem. As it said in the article the military isn't allowed to endorse any faith. There are charities like Toys for Tots that collects toy for kids that isn't faith based that the military is allowed to endorse. If I'm not mistaken Toys for Tots is actually a Marine based charity I think it would be a good idea for each branch of the military to do something like that.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

When will Christians sue atheists for Tuesday? There's no religious significance to Tuesday, and we can't allow atheists to have it. Same logic.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

But the Marines call it Toys for Tots.

Exactly!

As said - - the Air Force has been taken to court more then once for trying to force Christianity.

Very slippery slope with the Air Force.

edit on 23-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Taking Christ out of Christmas toys......
Toys for tots is a Christmas toy drive to.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I have an idea for the Army: Coal for Atheists.

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have no desire to end up in a pooping match here with anyone but... I simply cannot understand how one's belief system can be inserted on a subject like this.

Each and every year for the last two decades, I have worked with churches and civic organizations (which use no religious name whatsoever) to collect toys for kids. They work hand-in-hand with no animosity or anger or spitting or preaching or...

Honestly? It could be the birthday of the Great Spaghetti Monster. I wouldn't give a flying rat's patootie.

This is about giving needy children toys and if the name of a holiday can be shoved between them and those toys... then, IMESHO, our society needs to be flushed.

Have a nice day.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The title of this thread is misleading as is typical in these discussions.

The complaint was not about the toy drive itself but about the Air Force officially "inviting" personnel to volunteer using language "supporting the Christian faith [which] encouraged participation in this event as an act of Christian faith."

There is not a problem with a toy drive per se and obviously no problem with soldiers participating in any toy drive on their own initiative.

Tasker wrote in his explanation of Air Force regulations that government email could be used to promote events of common interest outside of military service, but it could not be used by a Defense Department employee in way that appears to "provide command endorsement of a particular faith."

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

This is charity, wanting to supply toys around the world to those who live in poverty but atheist would prefer the children to go without because of what?

This is a Christian charity and that's the problem. As it said in the article the military isn't allowed to endorse any faith. There are charities like Toys for Tots that collects toy for kids that isn't faith based that the military is allowed to endorse. If I'm not mistaken Toys for Tots is actually a Marine based charity I think it would be a good idea for each branch of the military to do something like that.

I agree. Why do they have to attach the giving to a religious.....anything???? Giving is a 365 days a year opportunity. Think those kids only need things at "Christmas" time? Also, it's still about separation of church and state.

I don't see why people are so upset about this. It's really no big deal. Especially people acting like if it isn't specifically called "Christmas" toy drive, suddenly the children will go without. Give me a break. If a title of a charity decides whether you donate or not, you're not donating for the right reasons.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

This is about giving needy children toys and if the name of a holiday can be shoved between them and those toys... then, IMESHO, our society needs to be flushed.

Have a nice day.

If its only about giving needy children toys - - - then it doesn't need to be labeled with a Specific Faith.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
The Air Force has a long history of forcing Christianity.

They've been taken to court more then once.

I support Separation of Church and State 100%.

They wanna collect toys? Don't call it Christmas.

Don't all of the American services have people who perform religious services such as funerals, mass and the equivalent for other faiths? Would you like that to be removed? If so, do you think the 100% of the actual service people would like them to be removed? If you think that I would argue you are wrong, and therefore why should your opinion be classed as right?

It's the same argument you are making around separation of church and state.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Oh those evil athiests trying to ban that pagan holiday again.

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Religious influence or no religious influence - who bloody cares as long as poor kids get some friggin toys for Christmas?

Can't people put aside their beliefs for 2 minutes so that some underprivileged children can have something for Christmas?

For crying out loud.

edit on 23/10/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join