It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe really is weird, and a landmark quantum experiment proves it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Only last year the world of physics celebrated the 50th anniversary of Bell's theorem, a mathematical proof that certain predictions of quantum mechanics are incompatible with local causality. Local causality is a very natural scientific assumption and it holds in all modern scientific theories, except quantum mechanics.

Local causality is underpinned by two assumptions. The first is Albert Einstein's principle of relativistic causality, that no causal influences travels faster than the speed of light. This is related to the "local" bit of local causality.

Now, the long wait for a loophole-free Bell test is over. In a paper published today in Nature, a consortium of European physicists has confirmed the predictions required for Bell's theorem, with an experimental set-up without the imperfections that have marred all previous experiments.

For the moment, though, we should savour this result for its scientific significance. It finally proves that either causal influences propagate faster than light, or a common-sense notion about what the word "cause" signifies is wrong.

phys.org...

Well, there you have it.

Local realism seems to be an illusion of consciousness. Our universe isn't some objective reality predetermined by hidden variables but something we just can't fully grasp at the current moment. It seems to be non local and without cause unless you say communication can occur faster than light which is a possibility.

There was a recent report that connected entanglement with wormholes. So there could be faster than light communication that occurs outside of our local reality.

There could also be some type of ghost dimension where information is essentially alive. There was a paper that said the wave function is real but non physical.

It's like the universe on a quantum level is like the unconscious mind and the universe we live in is just one conscious thought of this vast unconscious mind.

It's like our minds. We have this unconscious that processes a lot of information but only a portion of it makes it to conscious awareness. So in this scenario, our conscious awareness which is local would be an illusion and what we call the dream world is the real world.

It reminds me of a quote from Carl Jung.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

So consciousness is really just local realism under the illusion of separation from the non local whole.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I may have misunderstood all you just wrote, but what I took from that, is that we may be living an Avatar kind of existence, almost playing into the Matrix thing. Brains in jars and such. That's my of line of thinking at the moment anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

So the answer is 42.

I'm sorry but I cannot make any sense of your post.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Fascinating topic and the research seems to be heading into the right direction with regards to entanglement activity perhaps associated with reaching or surpassing the speed of light thus causing strange quantum activity or revealing the true state of all things (not causal). But I digress more into the philosophical aspect of this theory.

phys.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 22-10-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2015 by InTheLight because: Expanded thought

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So Biocentrism holds some merit?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ouch

So we are kind of like individually aware conscious fragments of a larger consciousness that we are unaware of?
Or we exist in the mind of God.
Or we exist in a Holographic universe.
Or we exist in a reality matrix
Or maybe an "ancestor simulation"
Or all of the above.

Or I need to study this some more.

Spirituality and metaphysics meets science and mathematics....
A dream within a dream

Maybe the native American Indians (was it the Iroquois?) were onto something when saying - this reality is a dream and our dreams is the reality or something like that...

Cool stuff...

Brain hurt now..

edit on 22/10/2015 by Ngatikiwi because: add stuff

edit on 22/10/2015 by Ngatikiwi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
So Biocentrism holds some merit?

Looks like a yes to me..

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Some posit the idea of the "Hokey Pokey" really being "what it's all about." Consciousness is what it's all about. Einstein hit a brick wall and I believe that brick wall is/was consciousness.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A very interesting post, thank you.
My opinion, on a gut level, is that on some levels information simply IS. I do not have a mathematical proof of anything at all, it is just something that I think is a possibility.
Rather like some kind of blueprint if you will. It would be a direction of idea that could harbour the idea of entanglement and faster than light communication.
The universe is always going to be more indecipherable than we think at any given time, if not, why we would be gods!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
With the data indicating that the Higgs Boson does exists, speed limits of light speed will only apply to such material which contains mass.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Extremely interesting. I think I can handle the laymans explanation on this one.
We don't know what we don't know.

I really love all the interesting things you people bring to us, my brain thanks you, or atleast I think it does atm.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
With the data indicating that the Higgs Boson does exists, speed limits of light speed will only apply to such material which contains mass.

Perhaps dark energy and matter may play a role where distances between quantum entanglements are always connected and perhaps where this light speed or faster (instantaneous) - no speed - is also a reality.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Greetings and Salutations- I Thank You for sharing this and to fulfill the requirements of a 'quid pro quo' intraweb chat I give You this to ponder:

Irish physicist John Stuart Bell showed in what has become known as 'Bell's Theorem' that any two atoms, once having encountered each other, will FOREVER be connected or have an influence on each other, regardless of their location or distance from each other. This universal connection is outside the realm of cause and effect. Physicists consider cause/effect to be bounded by the speed of light. The effect Bell describes is superluminal- faster than the speed of light.

The implication of Bell's Theorem is profound. It implies what the Mystic states: the universe is connected, there is no true separation, what occurs 'here' may instantly have an effect on 'there'. Bell's work indicates an effect that is outside of causation, outside of process, outside of time. It indicates a quality which is described by science, but cannot be explained by science. Science has gone past its own understanding.

• Doing Nothing- Coming to the End of the Spiritual Search. Steven Harrison pg.116-117

namaste

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In regards to the dream state, I believe it is the Zulu who held the belief that the dream world is in actuality the "real" world and our waking state was mearly an illusion.
It also brings to mind the allegory of Plato's cave, wherein the world we perceive to be real is but the flickering shadows of the unseen world dancing upon the cavern walls.

Very interesting, indeed.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: HAARPO

It is more like offering that the human brain perceives a perspective upon reality. So not an illusion but rather an orientation to reality that fundamentally leads us to this point.

In orientation, related to Bells Theorem.

The human brain is capable of understanding our surrounding's and over time it will be able to understand those surrounding's better.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Greetings and Salutations- I Thank You for sharing this and to fulfill the requirements of a 'quid pro quo' intraweb chat I give You this to ponder:

Irish physicist John Stuart Bell showed in what has become known as 'Bell's Theorem' that any two atoms, once having encountered each other, will FOREVER be connected or have an influence on each other, regardless of their location or distance from each other. This universal connection is outside the realm of cause and effect. Physicists consider cause/effect to be bounded by the speed of light. The effect Bell describes is superluminal- faster than the speed of light.

The implication of Bell's Theorem is profound. It implies what the Mystic states: the universe is connected, there is no true separation, what occurs 'here' may instantly have an effect on 'there'. Bell's work indicates an effect that is outside of causation, outside of process, outside of time. It indicates a quality which is described by science, but cannot be explained by science. Science has gone past its own understanding.

• Doing Nothing- Coming to the End of the Spiritual Search. Steven Harrison pg.116-117

namaste

Like Einsteins "spooky action at a distance" observation.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So, verification that reality is in the mind of the beholder.
It means that every one of us has a concept of reality that is unique. We consolidate around an average norm, but if you are outside that group... are you necessarily wrong? Heady stuff.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I knew it all along, knew I was onto something.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Perhaps dark energy and matter may play a role where distances between quantum entanglements are always connected and perhaps where this light speed or faster (instantaneous) - no speed - is also a reality.

I think the key thing is that there really is no "distance." Instantaneous speed may need not exist nor would the idea of any entanglement, IMO.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Niiice, you are doing it right!!!

Now kill the fantasy #

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join