It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Students Revolt After Principal CANCELS ‘AMERICA PRIDE DAY’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This will trigger the downfall of America the destruction of the dreams of our founding fathers.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: StoutBroux

Sounds like the principal and his assistant are of the "everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners or losers" crowd.

.....waiting for the political correct monkeys to come out saying that the students who exercised civil disobedience are constitution-loving domestic terrorists in the making.

No not domestic terrorist because they do have a right to protest. I just wonder how these people can call themselves patriotic when they disgrace the flag. In case people don't know this a person isn't supposed to wear the flag as apparel. So to the idiot who posted a pic of his kid on Facebook wearing all the flag apparel great way to show your patriotism by disgracing the flag.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

.....waiting for the political correct monkeys to come out saying that the students who exercised civil disobedience are constitution-loving domestic terrorists in the making.

That would only happen if they were practicing their right to bear arms at the same time.....why not bring gun control into the thread!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Wow. Didn't know you guys had a law against wearing your flag. A quick search says the Union Jack shouldn't be used inappropriately but I can't find any law preventing one from wearing one.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I'm glad we could find a point of agreement, but I don't think you'd agree with me when I say the only culture war going on in this country seems to be coming from one side of the political spectrum.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Tis a good point you made there, but I was trying to keep my response a bit less partisan slanted.

link   

Well I guess that means that Black History month and Latino History Months are going away too.

All those white kids are going to feel sad and left out.

link   

originally posted by: introvert
Stupidity on both sides of the issue.

First off, who cares if they have an "America day" at the school? This is America.

Also, who cares about "America day" to begin with? It perpetuates an ultra-nationalist mentality that I find to be quite dangerous.

Yeah, let's not take pride in our country. Let's not show pride in our schools. Lets just be mamby pamby nothings.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Talking pride in the country instead of asking why it is being allowed to fall apart. Just what the powers love from young. Where are the 'where is our future' rallies.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

"Take pride"? What does that mean? It doesn't mean anything. It's symbolism for the weak-minded.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Your right again. It is not coming from one side of the political spectrum. By definition of WAR, it takes two sides. One cannot have a 'war' with one side....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow

Wow. Didn't know you guys had a law against wearing your flag. A quick search says the Union Jack shouldn't be used inappropriately but I can't find any law preventing one from wearing one.

Meh...people bring it up all the time when it suits the argument. I am a proud American, but could care less if I see someone wearing it. If everyone that makes this argument followed all the regulations in the book about all things then sure they can stand up for it, but it is typically only used in arguments such as this thread.

My guess is Buster follows every code contained here, or is not patriotic and doesn't care about the flag at all:

en.wikipedia.org...

The Code[edit]

The words "flag, standard, colors, or ensign", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.[3]
The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation. This is sometimes misreported as a tradition that comes from the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, where countries were asked to dip their flag to King Edward VII; American team flag bearer Ralph Rose did not follow this protocol, and teammate Martin Sheridan is often, though apocryphally, quoted as proclaiming that "this flag dips before no earthly king."[4] This tradition was codified as early as the 1911 U.S. Army drill regulations.[5]
The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue union in the Canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.[6]
The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins). Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.[7]
The flag should never be drawn back or bunched up in any way.
The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.[8]
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.[9]
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.
Flag lapel pins may also be worn (they are considered replicas) and are worn near the heart.
The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it or attached to it.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
The flag should never be stepped on.
In a parade, the flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle, railroad train, or boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.[10]
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
If the flag is being used at a public or private estate, it should not be hung (unless at half staff or when an all-weather flag is displayed)[11] during rain or violent weather.
When a flag is so tattered that it no longer fits to serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. The Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, the military and other organizations regularly conduct dignified flag-burning ceremonies.[12][13]
The flag should never touch anything beneath it. Contrary to an urban legend, the flag code does not state that a flag that touches the ground should be burned. Instead, it is considered disrespectful to the flag and the flag in question should be moved in such a manner so it is not touching the ground.[12]
The flag should always be permitted to fall freely. (An exception was made during the Apollo moon landings when the flag hung from a vertical pole designed with an extensible horizontal bar, allowing full display even in the absence of an atmosphere.)[14]

edit on 10/5/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The lessened 'pride' is partly due to the fact there isn't much left to take pride in....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

“Three times as many students indicated that they were not in support of selecting the title ‘America Day,'” Crisp told the News&Guide. “I’m charged with looking at a school with 660 kids, and I have to ensure that all those kids feel part of a student body. Regardless of the name of the day, we want to ensure that activities of the week…bring our students together holistically as a student body.”

I thought the wording of that was strange (and yes, I DID read it the first time), so I looked into it further. Seems a survey was taken of the students to see what they wanted to celebrate during "Spirit Week". "America Day" came in THIRD. Seeing as there are 5 days to allocate, I don't see a problem whatsoever. The students were able to voice their concerns and they were heard.

Jackson Hole High School News

A piece of the homecoming planning included JHHS student council representatives creating a Spirit Day school wide student survey
The results of the survey are as follows:
1 Toga/Pajama Day
2 Lumberjack Day
3 America Day
4 School Spirit day (orange and black)
5 College Day
6 Decades Day
7 Cowboy Day 8 Sports Day.

The JHHS student council and JHHS administration selected days to ensure support of TCSD’s goal of ensuring everyone has a safe, caring, and healthy environment. America Day had many personal student comments about why that day was uncomfortable for some students. In an effort to compromise on the title of a day, and to meet district goals, a conversation with JHHS student council leaders and JHHS administration discussed alternative ways to name the day “Patriot Day” or “Heritage Day” to be inclusive. Both of these days were declined by JHHS Student Council leaders. This was a great learning opportunity for students to hear the opinions of others, to voice their own opinion and to learn about how to dissent appropriately. We will continue to provide and participate in civil, constructive, and problem solving discourse at JHHS in both the classroom and school activities.

I think this was a great exercise in civics and I can't find anything wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

In all fairness though that's a pretty weird list of days that high school kids would choose to theme.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

My guess is Buster follows every code contained here, or is not patriotic and doesn't care about the flag at all:

I follow every one of them. I was taught how to respect the flag way back when I was in the scouts. So is there any other idiotic comment you want to aim in my direction?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Well I guess that means that Black History month and Latino History Months are going away too.

All those white kids are going to feel sad and left out.

It's the typical leftist SJW mentality. Only criminals and degenerate third-worlders have the honor of preserving their "culture".

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I follow every one of them. I was taught how to respect the flag way back when I was in the scouts. So is there any other idiotic comment you want to aim in my direction?

Hmmm.....not seeing how my comment was idiotic, only seeing that it touched a nerve somewhere along the line now. Apparently one of my two guesses was correct.

I was simply pointing out how convenient it is to use arguments like that when it fits an agenda, such as to ridicule someone being supportive of the US by wanting to display the flag regardless of manner. I believe you have argued numerous times about the intentions of someone versus the knowledge of someone being a key part in how the issue is interpreted.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
In all fairness though that's a pretty weird list of days that high school kids would choose to theme.

In Jackson Hole WY? I don't think so. Toga day doesn't appeal to me, but I'm not in high school in Wyoming. I don't think it's weird.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Okay I'll give you toga day because at least I've heard of something similar before. But college day? What are they gonna do- pretend to be a few years older and experiment with homosexuality?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join