It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What this woman says sends a chill down my bone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Cool, I didn't make it first, talk to seeker.

And majority doesn't rule in our nation so who gives a crap who the majority is.

Funny how majority rule is always championed in that case.

This is not a christian nation, it is a nation with christianity being the majority religion.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: seeker1963

That isn't an excuse seeker, if you are going to respond please do so with knowing what I said and not your twisted interpretation.

You say they need to go home, I said America is most likely their home, where is the excuse?

If it was a Christian asking for something that I didn't like I wouldn't say they need to 'go home', would you say that about one?

Don't answer, I am sure it will be an off topic rant based in fantasy land.

Anyone living in the United States that DID NOT abide by our laws and Constitution? HELL YEA!! Go HOME OR FIND A NEW ONE!

SATISFIED?

As much as I hate some of our laws? I have to abide by them! So sorry if I hurt your feelings yet again!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

No no my friend. You are mistaken and I'll tell you why. She says "we are no longer a minority" then says "we will be the majority soon" Those are two statements for two different subjects. If they are no longer a minority (school board) then they are already the majority. So then there would be no need to repeat "we will be the majority soon"

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

This is not a christian nation, it is a nation with christianity being the majority religion.

If Christianity is the majority religion, then that makes US a christian nation. Not that complicated

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I don't let ignornace hurt my feelings,so again you did not.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Ok, so what FlySolo says must be the fact of the matter. Good deal.

Agree to disagree on this and the christian nation.
Have fun with all that fear guys!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

a reply to: queenofswords

She looks angry...
Do you know what she said?

Because I sure as heck couldn't make it out.

Perhaps she was speaking with her accent of Farsi, the language of her home.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Ok, so what FlySolo says must be the fact of the matter. Good deal.

Agree to disagree on this and the christian nation.
Have fun with all that fear guys!

Wow, typical Obamabot expression

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Our country just filled every moment for a week with all things to do with and for the Catholic Pope. 1/6th of citizens in the USA are Catholic. Where is the representation for the other religions in the USA? By rights, the 5 other major relIgions should have same airtime.

It was obvious the Obama team had the Pope in their pockets.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
We have one really pissed off idiot at a school board meeting (you will find them in every color and religion in the nation at such meetings) and suddenly it is ominous and evil? The video wasn't complete. I am sure Jewish students have long had legal absence excuses for Rosh Hashanah. I know they do in the county I live in in NY.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It is becoming a battle of religions. A good reason to keep them separate from state.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I fully support this parent's right to speak at the school board meeting, and I wish all parents (and citizens) took such an active interest!

I happen to disagree with putting a religious holiday on the school calendar however. For any religion. One, schools are publicly funded here, and to recognize one religious holiday would mean allowing for all, and there aren't enough calendar days in a year to account for that and still have 200 instructional days per year.

I was a kid a long time ago, and every once in a while, something in our religious calendar would conflict with a school or extracurricular activity, and it was a choice we had to make, which "statement" to make with our actions. Generally, the conversation with the principal or coach or whatever went something like this...

Us: We have a family conflict with (...whatever it was...), it's religious in nature, and need to know what the consequences are if we miss.

Principal/coach: It will be an unexcused absence, your daughter will sit the bench for a game, yadda yadda.

And we made our decision from there.

And no, our Pastor never said anything like "Wow, you'll go to Hell for missing or disregarding..." whatever it was. And yes, there were times we chose the school/extracurricular over church. (With all the attendant gossip from certain church members that went along with it). And times we chose church over the secular. And we took whatever the consequences were, because the observance was more important to us.

My parents always had the choice whether or not to send me to a religious school, and we discussed it as a family many times. If I'm not mistaken, the state would have had to credit the religious school for a portion of the taxes my family paid in, since public schools are funded by property taxes in these parts.

I don't really get why it should be any different these days... especially in America. We are many things, but a theocracy is not one of them.

edit on 3-10-2015 by CantStandIt because: typo

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Which bone is that? You have 206 of them.

eta: I have to say what it is, too many are missing it. At 35 seconds a woman says "We are not the minority here by the turn out, and soon we will all be the majority"

That is most certainly not what she said. What she actually said was,"We're no longer the minority. That's clear from tonight. We're gonna be the majority soon." And she was referring to the different ethnic groups that attended the meeting. Why is that even remotely chill-inducing? It is always a good idea to refrain from misquoting someone, because it tends to alter the original message and make it into something that it is not.

I agree that they should not demand such a schedule change with such short notice. However, they are American citizens and as such, have every right to petition their local school boards just like everyone else. I feel that the concession being made by assuring that missed school days due to religious reasons will not be counted against the students is fair, albeit not a new concession. They don't give specific religious holidays to anyone, but they are prohibited by law from penalizing a student for missing school for religious reasons, and that has been in effect for a very long time.

I can understand why they are thinking that they are being singled out or discriminated against. Hyperbole such as your OP directly reflects that. It would have been helpful to have seen the meeting in its entirety so that we could get the whole picture instead of just one cherry-picked facet of it, but of course that would not serve the same purpose, would it?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Justaposter

What I want to know, why wasn't Jewish holidays addressed?

We don't know that they weren't. All we've got is essentially a snapshot of what actually transpired.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Whats the problem with these students sending a note that they missed school because of religious holiday? sounds reasonable to me.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on such short notice and made to be more of a demand then a suggestion to the school board

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Yea, a bunch of people walking out angry because they didn't get what the want

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

That is most certainly not what she said. What she actually said was,"We're no longer the minority. That's clear from tonight. We're gonna be the majority soon."

I was paraphrasing.

And she was referring to the different ethnic groups that attended the meeting

Ethnicity isn't the issue. This was a Muslim holiday/school board thing. The majority she is referring to is a Muslim majority, not an ethnic one. That's the chilly part.

It would have been helpful to have seen the meeting in its entirety so that we could get the whole picture instead of just one cherry-picked facet of it, but of course that would not serve the same purpose, would it?

My gripe isn't focused on the board meeting, it was the candid comment that caught my attention. So, I haven't cherry picked anything.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

No no my friend, she meant everywhere. 90% of communication is non verbal. Just look at her facial expression while she says it. She looks back at her Muslim community for support on her comments, not because they're there.

That is your interpretation. Not anything based in fact. You couldn't even get your quote right, so that speaks volumes about the veracity of your assertions from here on out. We're supposed to be denying ignorance here, not perpetuating it. Her facial expression reflected anger, same as it does on any angry face. I don't know if you've ever attended a school board or city council meeting, but they get pretty heated. Each person is given a certain number of minutes in which to make their case, and typically it is one person speaking for the group as a whole.

Here, you get three minutes to speak, but other people can forfeit their minutes and give them to another speaker and that is what we usually do; pick one spokesperson for our group and he or she represents everyone who is petitioning for the same thing. She looked back at the others because she was including them in her speech. I do the same at council meetings, as a sign of respect and inclusion of the people upon whose behalf I am speaking, to show solidarity, and because I do not want to appear to be grandstanding...that's a good way to lose your petition and the interest of your audience. It is something that is taught in Public Speech classes.

That woman did not need to look back at her counterparts for "support". She already had their support...they were all sitting right behind her, showing that support as she spoke for them. She also did not waver in her speech nor falter. That is very likely the exact reason she was chosen to be the one to speak, rather than another person in her group.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Yea, a bunch of people walking out angry because they didn't get what the want

Just like angry people of every race, color and creed, everywhere.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

That is most certainly not what she said. What she actually said was,"We're no longer the minority. That's clear from tonight. We're gonna be the majority soon." And she was referring to the different ethnic groups that attended the meeting. Why is that even remotely chill-inducing? It is always a good idea to refrain from misquoting someone, because it tends to alter the original message and make it into something that it is not.

I get that it's in vogue for minorities to stick together, but honestly, do you think these people would treat a transgender well? They would just as soon hang you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join