It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolly Mammoth discovered by farmers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Not sure if in the right place...I did the usual searches and so on and so forth...I'm a bit of an "elephant" nerd...

So two farmers were digging in their field and brought up what they thought was part of an old fence!
It was the rib of a woolly mammoth.

Now, something that I found interesting is that there have been 300 or so mastodon sites found over the years in Michigan and only 10 mammoth sites.
This is a rare find indeed!
Michigan Live

Humans from that time would butcher the mammoth, take what they need, and submerge the rest in a pond to come back for later when needed...The hide from a mammoth could keep an entire family warm...

Another interesting thing to me is that they may be able to "clone" a mammoth. I know! I know! Cloning is controversial to say the least!

Because Woolly Mammoths went extinct relatively recently, and were closely related to modern elephants, scientists may be able to harvest the DNA of Mammuthus primigenius and incubate a fetus in a living pachyderm (a process known as "de-extinction").

From the link below...

Education

I am a fan of the Elephant Sanctuary here in my state: Elephant Sanctuary
The mammoth is the closest relative to the Asian elephants.
My personal favorite has always been Delhi. You may remember Delhi from the news when she was rescued.
Delhi

She lived to the ripe old age of 62!

I can't imagine being able to "see" woolly mammoths from days of old right here in the present!

Also from the Education link:

Update: a team of researchers recently announced that they have decoded the near-complete genomes of two 40,000-year-old Woolly Mammoth specimens.

Now, I won't pretend to make a "moral" judgement on the right or wrong of cloning but, with the Ivory trade such an issue in the world and the future of the Asian elephant in trouble (extinction wise)...maybe we would be wise to do SOMETHING to carry on the species if they WERE to become extinct...

From the briefing room:

Wildlife Trafficking- The United States and China, recognizing the importance and urgency of combating wildlife trafficking, commit to take positive measures to address this global challenge. The United States and China commit to enact nearly complete bans on ivory import and export, including significant and timely restrictions on the import of ivory as hunting trophies, and to take significant and timely steps to halt the domestic commercial trade of ivory. The two sides decided to further cooperate in joint training, technical exchanges, information sharing, and public education on combating wildlife trafficking, and enhance international law enforcement cooperation in this field. The United States and China decided to cooperate with other nations in a comprehensive effort to combat wildlife trafficking.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
great thread!
if they ever do clone mammoths i would think they would have to live in the far north.
all that "woolly" might overheat them anywhere else.
edit on 3-10-2015 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Clones.
To bring back long extinct animals might be a good idea. What fun it would be to see a herd of T-Rex's stampeding through the halls of governments

Also, me, I think a herd of me would be good for the world

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That is fantastic, discovery, I am glad that the scientist are completing the DNA sequence I will not mind see this impressive animals comeback to life.

The capabilities for cloning are there, but the problems is that the animal will have to be kept in captivity for life in order to ensure that it lives in an environment as closes as his ancestors as possible.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

THAT certainly would ruin MY dreams of living out my life in a balmy environment as I would just have to be around or a part somehow!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Yes!
Clones of you?
That must would be interesting !

I think we may already have T-Rex's in the governments of most of the world already!
LOL

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I would hope (fingers crossed) if this ever came to pass that they could be "homed" in a place like the sanctuary...

As close to "normal" as possible until the time to be released...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with cloning just people's silly outdated opinions of it, now git off mah lawn!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
cloning eh....Not for me as I wouldn't want to experience the 4 of us fighting at one time .....really .....

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
I think we may already have T-Rex's in the governments of most of the world already!LOL

Considering the numerous eyewitness sightings of live pterodactyls, I wouldn'nt be one bit surprised...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Once these magnificent beasts roamed the whole world-the bits that weren't covered in mile thick ice at the time.
Did you know the Mammoth Ivory trade is a massive industry in Russia,even today?
More Mammoth Ivory is sold than elephant ivory-that is a good thing,as we don't have to kill the mammoths to get the ivory.
Its all buried in the permafrost..

I wish China would only accept mammoth ivory,and stop the genocidal horror of supporting the elephant ivory trade.

mammoth-ivory.org...

Mammoth ivory for the gun modification enthusiast?
www.gungrip.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Thanks for posting ,
I saw this on another site, and lagged.
S and aF

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Technically it wouldn't be a clone since it would also be part asian elephant, but it would be a very similar looking hybrid.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If they actually found intact Mammoth DNA and injected it in a denucleated Elephant egg then stimiulated division, the resulting embryo woud be 100% mammoth and 0% genetically elephant, no?

The hard part of course is ACTUALLY finding viable mammoth DNA.. Japanese scientists were purported having found some like several years ago but so far no baby mammoths to show for it

top topics

join