It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard searching for missing cargo ship-El Faro October 2015

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I'm wondering if they were caught below decks trying to deal with the flooding, and engine problems, and she went under too fast for them to get to the lifeboats.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Former Coast Guard here, they would have automatic lifeboats and beacons if it went under. Lifeboats would be floating with beacons whether people onboard deployed them not. On deck beacons would release when submerged also. Chance of some getting tangled but I doubt all. Been many years but I would guess it should have 3-4 automatics at least.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
In the conditions they were in, it would have been likely difficult to even walk around. From what I have gathered, they were in the eye wall of the storm when contact was loss.

Hurricane conditions at sea are a nightmare. With the spray from the wind and waves, they probably had close to zero visibility on deck. Just trying to find a lifeboat would have been difficult for the crew.

This is tragic.

While this storm developed quickly, I can't help but wonder if the captain was a bit negligent for not changing their course before the conditions got out of control. My understanding is that did not loose power until after they were in the storm.
edit on 4-10-2015 by jrod because: cell error

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

They had to have seen the forecasts calling for it to strengthen quickly. I'm not sure what they were thinking, or if they were thinking at all.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The Coast Guard said they found one of two lifeboats, but there were no people or signs of life.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A submerged wreck described as consistent with the El Faro has been found three miles down near the Bahamas. A Navy salvage team will be sending an ROV to examine the wreck.

mobile.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
60 minutes had a report on the investigation.

The ship found at 15000 foot depth. The top two decks were missing from the ship and found quite a distance from the wreck. The voyage recorder is missing from the top desk. NTSB man speculated the decks sheered off during the storm before sinking. Will probably never be known for sure.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Were all hands lost?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Were all hands lost?

It appears as so. Quite sad for the families.

TOTE claims they had not directed the course, it was the captains decision. They didn't mention if ship was required to continue the voyage toward the destination.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The 60 minutes page

Link to 60 Minutes

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

What are the Salvage laws nowadays? Can anyone claim it ?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

No.
The company owns it.
Once a claim is settled, the insurance company (probably Lloyd's) owns it

edit on 1/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
They showed video from the Curv vehicle that investigated the wreck. Only two container were left on the deck. Contents of some containers were littered on the floor, a micro wave oven and a car were shown. A tank type container was partially crushed. The windows on the lower decks were broken out.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

When did Admiralty law change? if someone salvages a wreck they lay claim to it but can contractually split it with the former owner, or lay claim to it fully in court, thats how it use to work, must admit I have read anything on it for a while.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
They are entitled to a reward from the owner. If a claim has been settled, that would be the insurer.
The reward would be based on the value of the salvaged material but the owner maintains ownership. The salvor cannot sell it.

Side note; the owner also is responsible for removing any hazard to navigation or other disposal which may be required by law.

edit on 1/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Wiki on Marine salvage

Echos what Phage posted

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Looks like there are different rules. Thx for the update

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Looks like there are different rules. Thx for the update

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't know when, or actually if, it changed.
But I have a reason to know what it currently is.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Pirate? You're a very interesting character, is this related to work?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join