It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Home of the free, land of the victim? Yep...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So, I do like Stossel regardless of what others have to say about him. He has a way of seeing things in a bit more insightful way than other reporters on some matters. I personally really like this article and feel it is very accurate as to American culture right now. Everyone is the victim. It has been going on for years and is becoming more and more rampant in the culture. Everyone seems to want something for getting their feelings hurt or whatever....personally I am sick of it.

Anywho....great read this one:

Source

The world has enough real problems without declaring everyone a “victim.”

Bill Clinton says Hillary is a victim of a right-wing conspiracy.

Lindsay Lohan, when jailed for driving drunk and breaking parole, says she’s a victim of cruel and unusual punishment.

Michael Sam says his NFL career would have gone better had he not come out as gay.

We change people’s character by teaching them that “victimhood” is a way to get attention and moral status.

A Philadelphia dentist caught groping his patients’ breasts said he is a victim of frotteurism, a disease that compels you to fondle breasts. Really.

People benefit by playing the victim.

Activists look for people they can declare victims, to bring attention to their causes.

It makes me wonder about those well-intended government programs meant to help the disabled. Social Security disability money used to go to blind people, people in wheelchairs, people clearly disabled.

But now billions go to people who say they’re disabled by things like headaches and back pain. Disability payments have increased so much that the program will soon go broke.

But the increase in payments makes no sense.

Medicine improved since 1990. People do less hard manual labor. There should be fewer disabled people. Why are there more?

Perhaps it’s jurosomatic pain? Or government-handout-omatic pain?

I view this as a major social issue that is causing much of the civil unrest in the US at this point. Sure there really are victims in this world, but there are plenty that are not and are feeling butthurt because feelings.....
edit on 9/30/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Anyone paying attention (and not latching on to the victimhood teat) has known this for years, but it certainly has been worsening and worsening over the last three or four years, for sure.

Disappointingly, I'm quite certain that it will continue through the next term of the next president before there is a rebounding mentality in this country--and that's putting it optimistically.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Yes, I too am a fan of the Stossel, perhaps primarily because he is a well known figure in popular media that has openly disavowed his formerly statist leanings. He is a true thinker and is clearly not afraid to listen to both his instinct and his intellect.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that he has abridged his consumer advocacy in any way during the entire process.

Johnson/Stossel 2016!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Being that the source is Fox news I get the feeling that they probably left out the group that is currently screaming "Victimization" the loudest. Christianity. If there is a more obvious example of false Victimization here in America besides the Christian Persecution Complex I'd like to see it.

They claim to be victims of persecution and are being silenced yet there is a church on every street corner which is tax exempt. Kim Davis goes to jail for directly opposing an order by the supreme court and has two presidential candidates show up to celebrate her actions. They openly deny equal rights to others and are rewarded with praise for it. etc.

With those kinds of results going to the "Victim" it makes me wish someone would come victimize me so I could cash in on it like all these so called martyrs are doing.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Isn't Stossel the same guy that pulled that stunt where he dressed as a homeless person and then demonized the people that gave him money because he wasn't actually homeless? If I'm not mistaken, he did it several times.

Anyway, I don't think victimization is on the rise or worse than it's ever been in the past. The reason we here more about lately is because it's gone political. Both sides play the victim card and blame the other for victimizing them.

So I think it's more that it's being publicized, not that it's on the rise.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

This all stems from greed. When you have a society that makes money off of medicine, it is in the best financial interest of the medical community to keep people sick, thereby buying more medicine. The rich stay healthy and the sick stay poor.

The medicines are not meant to make you better and stay that way. They are made to be a temporsry relief from the symptoms that get you sick. Read any random box of allergy relief.........relief...... medicine.

That's just one example out of thousands..

Add to that the ever growing number of "diseases" thst are psychologically based, and you will start to see how the U.S. really is a sick country.

It's funny how the F.D.A. regulates the drugs that are made to treat sicknesses, but they have no say in the validity of new "diseases" that the pharmaceutical companies and doctors say they need drugs to help with.

Greed is a sickness. There's your proof.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

A Philadelphia dentist caught groping his patients’ breasts said he is a victim of frotteurism, a disease that compels you to fondle breasts. Really.

I knew I had a disease! Now if I can only find a treatment center that can help me taper off.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
it's the "new" thing.
some of us have been pointing this out for a few years, even other members of this site, i've been vocal about it on social media whenever i can.
What's even worse is that it's not just an american problem any more.
Why is it so?
i guess you will find a bunch of different thoughts on that.
my personal take is that we are replacing reason with sensitivity.
We are not asked what we THINK about something, we are being asked how we feel.
And the great thing about that is that other people can fight my logic, but not my feelings, because they can't know what i feel inside. And that makes it a perfect tool to manipulate people. it's becoming an attempt at "diplomatic immunity"
And of course some people, like in the examples listed, will see how far they can take it, what they can get away with (the frotteurism one was absolute gold)
Do i blame them? not really, these kind of vultures have always existed, and always will.
what i feel (eheheh) is that we need to put a bit of a stop to this PC culture that is all the rage right now.
In this mindset of "beware of feelings" you inevitably enable people to be victims of one thing or the other.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Isn't Stossel the same guy that pulled that stunt where he dressed as a homeless person and then demonized the people that gave him money because he wasn't actually homeless? If I'm not mistaken, he did it several times.

Anyway, I don't think victimization is on the rise or worse than it's ever been in the past. The reason we here more about lately is because it's gone political. Both sides play the victim card and blame the other for victimizing them.

Yah that was him. Although I don't remember him demonizing the people who gave him money. He did demonize the homeless though by claiming how "good" they have it by raking in so much cash by begging for it like he was pretending to do. Because clearly homeless beggars do have it so nice living on easy street and all.

But I think it was only the poor and homeless he demonized.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

To play devil's advocate, if we are hearing about it more then it is bound to rise.

I think it has been on the rise for a while, but mostly because of personal experiences growing up and changes that were made because of them.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Frotteurism is a mental disorder.
Frotteurism is a paraphilic interest in rubbing, usually one's pelvic area or erect penis, against a non-consenting person for sexual pleasure. It may involve touching any part of the body, including the genital area.
So he may want to get his medical degree before passing judgment off on people.

But now billions go to people who say they’re disabled by things like headaches and back pain. Disability payments have increased so much that the program will soon go broke.

Again passing judgment on things he knows nothing about. If he actually worked a job that required physical labor instead of sitting on his ass he might know something about back pain. The reason why SS might go broke is because an idiot tapped into the trust fund to pay for two wars that he started.

So the Fox Business man knows nothing about cost of living increases and inflation. Good thing he works for FOX where actually knowing anything about your job isn't a requirement.

Medicine improved since 1990.

But can everyone afford it? Nope

People do less hard manual labor. There should be fewer disabled people. Why are there more?

People are working longer hours for less pay. When a person doesn't have the money to properly take care of themselves then their body starts to break down.
Stossel has always been nothing but a self righteous prick and this article just proves that point.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

I knew I had a disease! Now if I can only find a treatment center that can help me taper off.

Ya. You and me both buddy. I'm riddled with it. I'm code red with frotteursim.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Another good example is the Affluenza kid. Poor poor victim of being too rich and disconnected from normal reality to understand the rules of society. Basically a victim of having it too good and too easy in life. Meanwhile he gets drunk and drives killing three people and injuring a couple more including his own friend but He's the victim???

Pretty sick and twisted world we have going here.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

So I am guessing you disagree that the US is becoming more and more the land of the victim? All you seem to care about is Stossel.

As far as your claims, the Doctor from that case himself said he was a diagnosed frotteur.

The increase in payments part, you clearly misunderstood. He was saying the increase in payments, meaning payout for disability, has increased and it makes no sense because medicine has improved and people do less manual labor than ever.

As far as everyone being able to afford it....isn't that what ACA/Obamacare is all about? Can't have it BOTH ways here.

Nobody is working longer hours for less pay. Inflation has occurred so they are having to pay more for what they want. Longer hours would mean more money....overtime is required pay in the US, so how does your argument work out here? Here is a link for your perusal... Overtime

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We have raised an whole generation of entitled people. We had obstacles to success when we were growing up, but our parents told us to toughen up and find a solution and that is what we did to survive. Now they just give up or cry victim at the slightest inconvenience the world throws at them.

It's sad and I am glad my parents didn't allow me to think like that growing up.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Frotteurism is a mental disorder.
Frotteurism is a paraphilic interest in rubbing, usually one's pelvic area or erect penis, against a non-consenting person for sexual pleasure. It may involve touching any part of the body, including the genital area.
So he may want to get his medical degree before passing judgment off on people.

Again passing judgment on things he knows nothing about. If he actually worked a job that required physical labor instead of sitting on his ass he might know something about back pain. The reason why SS might go broke is because an idiot tapped into the trust fund to pay for two wars that he started.

So the Fox Business man knows nothing about cost of living increases and inflation. Good thing he works for FOX where actually knowing anything about your job isn't a requirement.

Medicine improved since 1990.

But can everyone afford it? Nope

People do less hard manual labor. There should be fewer disabled people. Why are there more?

People are working longer hours for less pay. When a person doesn't have the money to properly take care of themselves then their body starts to break down.
Stossel has always been nothing but a self righteous prick and this article just proves that point.

I gotta hand it to you Buster, you take the Pepsi challenge every time, no low hanging fruit for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I'll just say that in days gone by, if someone was struggling with a certain subject in school or a certain sport, an individual would ask, "What am I doing wrong? I've got to figure this out."

Nowadays if someone is struggling with a certain subject in school or a certain sport, they ask, "Since it's not me, who's fault is it?"

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I completely disagree.

The world and our cultures have evolved pretty rapidly and this new generation of people we are raising are dealing with different obstacles than you or I had to deal with. I still think the majority of parents are doing whats best to teach their children that you have to take some knocks in life to get where you want to go.

The reason we think that victimization is on the rise is because those people are the ones that draw attention. People in politics and the media would fall in to that category.

You also have to consider that the "victim card" is talked about quite a bit in certain media outlets. Perhaps your perception in this case is skewed by the media and information you ingest.
edit on 30-9-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

top topics

join