It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On "White Male Privilege"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Living in Glasgow man I've seen it first hand , I have mixed race friends and black friends, asian friends , indian / pakistani
etc and there is institutional racism it's alive and well
The police do target minority races in the UK its proven fact !

racial profiling exists whether you want to accept it or not!

Sure it does, and we should fight to stop that wherever it occurs. The question is is it as bad as everyone says? As stated above, the numbers are staggering in how men are targeted by police in all countries. Being a man means you are far more likely to be stopped, arrested, given a longer sentence than being any minority. Should we pick up torches and chase the institutional sexists out of power? Can I blame all of my shortcomings on the fact I am unfairly targeted?

No one said anything about them not having the ability or drive to achieve anything in life there as you pointed out many black people or other racial backgrounds who are CEO's etc rich beyond their dreams

but I can guarantee you that each and everyone of the people on your list has suffered institutional racism either directly or indirectly to them or their families !

I again agree. Everyone, including white people, have experienced institutional racism.

Definition: Institutional racism is any system of inequality based on race. It can occur in institutions such as public government bodies, private business corporations (such as media outlets), and universities (public and private). The term was introduced by Black Power activists Stokely Carmichael and Charles V. Hamilton in the late 1960s.[1] The definition given by William Macpherson within the report looking into the death of Stephen Lawrence was "the collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin"
en.wikipedia.org...

So things like affirmative action would be government sanctioned institutional racism against whites.

You must be deluded to think that the US is not institutionally racist , considering it was founded by a racist empire , and exported mass racism in the form of founding a colony on racism alone by killing of indigenous peoples

that racism still exists and is fervent in the US !

Name one society that didn't conquer and kill or abuse people if it was able to. And based on this, you are saying what, the US will always be racist. So why even bother to ake changes. Even if magically racism were eliminated in the US today you would still say it was founded on racism and therefore is still racist. What would make you happy, the extermination of white people?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Living in Glasgow man I've seen it first hand , I have mixed race friends and black friends, asian friends , indian / pakistani
etc and there is institutional racism it's alive and well
The police do target minority races in the UK its proven fact !

racial profiling exists whether you want to accept it or not!

No one said anything about them not having the ability or drive to achieve anything in life there as you pointed out many black people or other racial backgrounds who are CEO's etc rich beyond their dreams

but I can guarantee you that each and everyone of the people on your list has suffered institutional racism either directly or indirectly to them or their families !

You must be deluded to think that the US is not institutionally racist , considering it was founded by a racist empire , and exported mass racism in the form of founding a colony on racism alone by killing of indigenous peoples

Oh freaking god about the history lesson already... give it a rest seriously. I'm over 1/2 Scottish and married to a Scot too, but sometimes the bleeding heart tripe that comes out of you lot is really pathetic.

You gonna go on preaching to a Japanese guy about the atrocities committed in WW2???

I dont care what who believed and said 200years before I was a dumb idea in a sperm cell. Do you get it??? I didn't exist. I dont give a CRAP.

Black people who hate the US can f**k right off to Africa since it's so much better, but oh wait, it's not. It's actually even worse. What good is being surrounded by like similar-skinned people and not having to deal with 'white-privilege' when there is no opportunity????

I was in Japan for a while, and guess what, there is racism against "Gaijin" there. Did it bother me? Not one bit. I was even planning to live there long term, and I expected to deal with certain things because members of my race and nationality frequently end up in the media over there for doing dumb things. Plenty of Japanese do dumb things too, but it's better news when it's a white guy.

If people of whatever race, nationality, skin color, or whatever are not happy where they are, then why not go to where that thing doesn't happen???? The easiest solution is usually to go where 'your people' came from. But the reality is that the UK is a FAR FAR better life and is 100% worth dealing with certain discrimination.

Do you ever ask yourself why the police profile, and 'target' certain people more than others???? They're not dumb, they deal with things every day and they start to get a feel for who commits certain crimes. I don't know specifics for UK, but last month whilst in Scotland I watched the TV show "Undercover benefits cheat", and it was overwhelmingly MINORITIES who were screwing people and screwing the system.

If I have to explan statistics to you, then it's a lost cause trying to talk logic with you, but here in the US, a certain group of people who make up 13% of the population, account for 50% of violent crime.

The FBI is incredibly successful at apprehending criminals via "profiling". Profiling means to take into account the history of which groups of people commit which crimes and why. It's amazing how close they usually get to nailing the sex, race, income level etc of the suspect. It's not 100%, but trust me, police 'target' certain people for VERY good reasons.

Would it get annoying after a while, yea probably. But what am I supposed to do, personally stop every GI in Japan from raping Japanese girls???

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There is a prominent while male privilege if you want to focus on that. But will it benefit you? What is the purpose of focus on something that twists your heart and closes up your throat? If you're upset by it, you're probably focusing on a thought that is not of service to you.

In college, my professor wanted to make it very clear to us that white males are obviously privileged in society. We had to write a ten page paper on our particular background in comparison. Being a white Cuban female, I wrote about how I disagree with his opinion. I became so passionate in focusing on my advantages, that I didn't care about my grade anymore. The point of my paper turned into "I am more privileged than any white man because of my mindset and attitude. You're looking at the wrong thing."
I got a D. He didn't get it.
But I did. And I hope you do too.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

edit on 30-9-2015 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Sure it does, and we should fight to stop that wherever it occurs. The question is is it as bad as everyone says? As stated above, the numbers are staggering in how men are targeted by police in all countries. Being a man means you are far more likely to be stopped, arrested, given a longer sentence than being any minority. Should we pick up torches and chase the institutional sexists out of power? Can I blame all of my shortcomings on the fact I am unfairly targeted?

Ok men are targeted everyone agrees but when you take that another step and say black men or middle eastern men are specifically targeted then that's where it gets even worse and that is a problem.
if we all know it happens then why do we allow it to happen to these minorities ?

originally posted by: GramblerI again agree. Everyone, including white people, have experienced institutional racism.
So things like affirmative action would be government sanctioned institutional racism against whites.

Growing up in the UK i've only once experience racism as a child, I have slightly sallow skin and a darker complexion than most white kids due to my grandparents ancestry coming from Spain to the British isles with the Spanish Armada way back when- both my parents are white and my grandparents and their grandparents all come from Scotland.
Some kids at school would call me names like , paki or chink or 'n-word' , even an old man one day called me a paki because I was playing near a WW2 war memorial that my grandfathers name is on in our small town of Grangemouth he told me to get away from it.

The ones in school who called me names their parents were loyalist protestants and of the orange order ( no surprise there that they would indoctrinate their kids to be racist) They were the same kids who regularly started fights with the Scottish born Pakistani or Indian kids in our school.

This was the only time I have ever experience racism growing up, its never happened again.

originally posted by: GramblerName one society that didn't conquer and kill or abuse people if it was able to. And based on this, you are saying what, the US will always be racist. So why even bother to ake changes. Even if magically racism were eliminated in the US today you would still say it was founded on racism and therefore is still racist. What would make you happy, the extermination of white people?

I can't hence why I said racism is institutionilised on a globlal scale it exists in every aspect of human society.
I did not say that the US will always be racist you did! If we eliminated racism today the world would be a better place and we could divert our time and energy to doing things that actually matter. The extermination of any people is crazy and it was you who suggested it not me. Genocide is wrong.
edit on 30-9-2015 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join