It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise: Iran Says Finds Unexpectedly High Uranium Reserve

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
How nice is this for Iran?
Things are really looking up for Irans' nuclear program. What a fabulous coincidence, that this was announced just one day after
Obama's Iran deal was secured. And to think that western assessments have been saying Iran's uranium supply was so low that they'd have to import uranium...something that could be monitored and regulated to help assure us that they couldn't build a bomb.

Also, wonderful news for Iran, as Obama has just removed sanctions against Iranian minining companies.
Way to completely 'snooker' the moronic U.S. President, The Secretary of State...and the U.S. government, Iran.
Credit where credit is due!

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran has discovered an unexpectedly high reserve of uranium and will soon begin extracting the radioactive element at a new mine, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation said on Saturday.

The comments cast doubt on previous assessments from some Western analysts who said the country had a low supply and would sooner or later would need to import uranium, the raw material needed for its nuclear program.

Any indication Iran could become more self-sufficient will be closely watched by world powers, which reached a landmark deal with Tehran in July over its program. They had feared the nuclear activities were aimed at acquiring the capability to produce atomic weapons - something denied by Tehran.

"I cannot announce (the level of) Iran's uranium mine reserves. The important thing is that before aerial prospecting for uranium ores we were not too optimistic, but the new discoveries have made us confident about our reserves," Iranian nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi was quoted as saying by state news agency IRNA.

Salehi said uranium exploration had covered almost two-thirds of Iran and would be complete in the next four years.
Uranium can be used for civilian power production and scientific purposes, but is also a key ingredient in nuclear weapons.

The July deal between Iran and world powers will lift international sanctions on Iran in exchange for at least a decade of curbs on the
country's nuclear activity.

After decades of efforts, Iran - which has consistently said its program is for peaceful purposes - has achieved a full nuclear fuel cycle, ranging from the extraction of uranium ore to enrichment and production of fuel rods for nuclear reactors.

Sanctions on companies taking part in Iran's uranium mining industry will be lifted when the agreement is implemented.
Salehi said uranium extraction was set to begin at a new mine in the central province of Yazd, according to IRNA.

Some Western analysts have previously said that Iran was close to exhausting its supply of yellowcake - or raw uranium - and that mining it domestically was not cost-efficient.

A report published in 2013 by U.S. think-tanks Carnegie Endowment and the Federation of American Scientists said the scarcity and low quality of Iran's uranium resources compelled it "to rely on external sources of natural and processed uranium".

It added: "Despite the Iranian leadership's assertions to the contrary, Iran's estimated uranium endowments are nowhere near sufficient to supply its planned nuclear program."

Iran has repeatedly denied overseas media reports that it has tried to import uranium from countries like Kazakhstan and Zimbabwe.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Who would have thunk it eh? Another boogieman to drive fear and keep consciousness at a minimum. But it is just like Iraq and wmds, if these asclowns in thinktanks are almost always wrong, why does any listen to them, especially goverments? That was a rhetorical question lol.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/12.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Iran already had the right to mine the uranium even with out the deal with the other nations so whats the problem? If anything this just makes those so called think tanks look like they don't know as much as they think they do.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Iran apparently has the right to mine uranium, make nuclear weapons, make biological weapons, make chemical weapons and the west should never do anything about it because Iran is a sovereign nation and the west should mind it's own business!

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Oh My God. Now they might really get a bomb. I cry WMD…

sanctions, regime change and for the love of humanity… Intervention.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Doesn't change the fact that the US Government are global war pigs working for military-industrial interests.

Australia has more Uranium than Iran.

Perspective.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"Self sufficient"...
They say...

And yet that's a problem...
Supposedly...

I wonder why...
No I don't...

No ones damn business what they do...
But alas, it apparently is...

Bleeuuurrgh

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well what comes around...BP's fault in the establishment of "modern" Iran.

BP and Iran

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

May be it's because tension is going down an now the politics is more open. It's may be a good sign in fact. The country could have hidden that fact and work under the radar. With this kind of declaration they invite regular investigation in their country.

It's called trust, they play open hand now.
edit on 12-9-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think every country on Earth is entitled to nuclear weapons. Let's pass them out like candy.

The first country that decides to use one will become a radioactive wasteland and that'll be a great lesson to the rest.

Maybe we can finally have world peace if everyone is scared of mutually assured destruction.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Could be a good idea but:
Not all country have a good control on their militairy, population or even their futur.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

How on earth, unless you go drill etc can you know what exactly is under the ground anywhere. Sure you can make an educated guess, but Iran is a big country so why shouldn't it have uranium? I dare say it has other things also under its soil were it to do a full survey of its land. Same for every other country in the world.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Australia has more Uranium than Iran.

Quantity doesn't really matter from the big scheme of things perspective.

I only give a flying f*ck about enough Uranium to make ONE bomb.

That's all I care about.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
Quantity doesn't really matter from the big scheme of things perspective.

I only give a flying f*ck about enough Uranium to make ONE bomb.

That's all I care about.

Than you should be very worried about every country on Earth, that has a nuclear physics program. They would all have enough Uranium to make 'a bomb'. As well as plutonium, and a couple other choice elements for a modern weapon.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

It would appear that snarkiness is your goal, because in your effort, you overlooked the fact that I didn't mention any one country.

Now, do I *really* have to spell my point out for you?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
Now, do I *really* have to spell my point out for you?

Since you don't actually have anything past propaganda based fear, I find that unnecessary.

I am no more concerned about Iran finding a high quality uranium deposit than I am of Canada finding another one. Both have the capability to produce weapons, yet neither have. Giving them more of a resource they already under utilize isn't going to change that.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I didn't mention anything about any countries, threats, or possibilities...

Other than the fact, that enough uranium to make one bomb, is all it takes to concern me.

Iran. Israel. Russia. U.S.A. U.K. Canada.

I don't care who has it. They're stupid enough to be screwing with it in the first place.

Once back around 2000 some friends and I were talking about the former Soviet Union, and the threat their nuclear stockpile held. They said to me "Doesn't matter...their technology is so old and out dated most of them probably won't work at all!". I said "All it takes is ONE to work as intended, and the planet is screwed."

Now, finish up with your assumptions and move along.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: PersonneX
a reply to: Answer

Could be a good idea but:
Not all country have a good control on their militairy, population or even their futur.

Which goes back to my statement: "the first country who uses one will become a radioactive wasteland."

It doesn't matter if it was the military or some rebel faction... if a nuke goes boom, the country ceases to exist.

That sort of guarantee would change a lot of things.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Matters little.

They still have to refine it first to use in Nuclear weapons and the whole treaty restricted the refining process.

The uranium supply has never been the bottle neck, its the refining that has and that is still the case.
edit on 12-9-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Don't worry. Iran will have the bomb, and then they can hold that part of the world hostage on a yearly basis just like North Korea does.

We will declare war ... unless you pay us off ...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join