It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11: Just 14 Years Later and College Kids Have No Idea the Reasons it Occurred.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Funny. I discuss this with my daughter very often.

She was two then. And we are German.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
What would you teach the children? The official story, evidence based theories or the conspirasist version in schools? Might be the reason why no one knows ( not all of course)

Good question,

I would teach them to use their freakin' brains, source all the info, come to an actual conclusion (right or wrong) and then tell us how they came to that point.

In other words, have an original thought on something that changed the World only a few years ago.

"um" doesn't cut it for me.

Jude

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
"They hate us for our freedoms"

Ponder that, the de-facto official "reason" 9/11 occurred. Then take a look at these college students. Anyone who was still a child when 9/11 happened probably hasn't noticed the changes in the country in relation to freedom and it's gradual destruction that those of us even slightly older have certainly seen. If you were in your early 20s or older on that day, you'd experienced a country free from:
The TSA
NSA wiretapping
The Patriot Act
"Terrorism" in America's daily lexicon
"Terrorist" being a frequent accusation to sling against one with a differing political ethos
Homeland Security
Having to show a passport to get back into your home country, America
Stop & frisk
Persecution and scrutiny based on association
The abdication of "privacy" as a right
Imprisonment without charges
Denial of legal counsel
The politics of division that have so permeated America

Essentially, if you're 20 years old, you don't understand the reason America was attacked on 9/11 because most of those reasons have been stripped away. America is becoming more and more like the draconian hell the terrorist nations already are, be it due to appeasement, cowardice, or never letting an opportunity go to waste, the America of September 10, 2001 is as alien a concept to these kids as the pre-Great Depression America would be to anyone under the age of 90 today.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
"They hate us for our freedoms"

Ponder that, the de-facto official "reason" 9/11 occurred. Then take a look at these college students. Anyone who was still a child when 9/11 happened probably hasn't noticed the changes in the country in relation to freedom and it's gradual destruction that those of us even slightly older have certainly seen. If you were in your early 20s or older on that day, you'd experienced a country free from:
The TSA
NSA wiretapping
The Patriot Act
"Terrorism" in America's daily lexicon
"Terrorist" being a frequent accusation to sling against one with a differing political ethos
Homeland Security
Having to show a passport to get back into your home country, America
Stop & frisk
Persecution and scrutiny based on association
The abdication of "privacy" as a right
Imprisonment without charges
Denial of legal counsel
The politics of division that have so permeated America

Essentially, if you're 20 years old, you don't understand the reason America was attacked on 9/11 because most of those reasons have been stripped away. America is becoming more and more like the draconian hell the terrorist nations already are, be it due to appeasement, cowardice, or never letting an opportunity go to waste, the America of September 10, 2001 is as alien a concept to these kids as the pre-Great Depression America would be to anyone under the age of 90 today.

Agreed.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm curious to know what Rush's actual wording was. "Three generations to forget Pearl Harbor." Forget what, that it happened? Or why it happened? Those are two vastly different questions.

Just like asking somebody "do you remember 9/11" is vastly different than "do you know why 9/11 happened?"

I think your average American college freshman would've been hard pressed to give an answer aside from "those damn dirty japs," or words to that effect, in 1955.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thank you!!! I was in 3rd grade that day. My life revolved around riding bike and childish endevours. I knew nothing of the current American freedoms that were in place and i knew nothing of things that were about to go away. I didnt know what spying was, etc etc.

I am college aged now. Mostly my entire remembered life is post 9/11. Certainly by the time i started caring about these freedoms they were already gone.

People love blaming my generation for everything. Another member said it, I am an UN-generation member here. You older folks ever consider you may have simply failed at informing the new generation well enough? Because that is what happened. We were given no instruction nor warning.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

And that, in a nutshell, explains so much.

"It's not our fault we don't know anything, it's yours."

Please.

edit on 11-9-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Rush Limbaugh said that it took about 3 generations for people to forget Pearl Harbor.

I wonder how many would of been able to answer the why about Pearl Harbor.

I think the why question would still be up for debate on 9/11.

We forced japans hand in ww2, our sanctions were working, their dreams of empire were dying....

911....hell there are at least a million right and wrong answers to the cause for it.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

People havent noticed the changes in the country in relation to freedom and it's gradual destruction

then george bush has been vindicated, since our freedoms have been gradually phased out there hasnt been a major terrorist attack inside the US.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowChatter

People havent noticed the changes in the country in relation to freedom and it's gradual destruction

then george bush has been vindicated, since our freedoms have been gradually phased out there hasnt been a major terrorist attack inside the US.

LOL, i starred you, just because the irony alone was worth the time it took to read your post

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowChatter

I hope you are not serious...

Correlation does not mean causation.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think it is a loaded question, at least to a point. It would be very difficult to get a huge majority of people to agree on what the exact reason for the attack was - if there was 'one'. The nebulous nature of the cause does not preclude at least a brief snap-shot answer. An individual may pick a few of what they consider the key causes to draw attention to. The next person might pick a few different ones. But anyone who can claim the event to be within living memory really has no excuse for at least a basic understanding of it. And no, I don't mean everything that happened in any country on earth within living memory should be easily recollected by everyone. I mean any event within living memory of such magnitude that occurred within your own country.

It doesn't surprise me at all though. I saw a video clip on tv not too long ago. They had a camera crew on a beach during spring break asking college students some VERY basic history questions, and very, very few could answer any of them. These are college students who couldn't answer questions like: Who won the civil war? Who won the revolutionary war? They asked one girl how many people there were in the senate. She said, "What....right now?" I don't know what college she was attending but she should get her money back.

It was more than embarrassing. It was actually painful to watch.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Corrupt AMERICAN politicians hiding their dirty tracks and control over natural resources is why 9/11 happened.

edit on 11-9-2015 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
To be fair, even the so-called "official story" version of events does not make a "reason" clear. I've long considered this to be the biggest 9/11 mystery.

There are so many other "amazing coincidences". The buildings were scheduled to be demolished anyway - since they were full of asbestos. Dismantling would cost more than the actual reconstruction. There were so many groups in building 7 that had ongoing investigations.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
We were given no instruction nor warning.

I've got about 16 years on you and I can tell you my generation didn't receive any warning or instruction on this, either.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

There is of course the "conspiracy theorists are nuts" angle.
Those students may be wary of giving answers, they too have the internet.
Just because they are unsure of answering doesn't mean they don't know what happened.

If i thought certain answers seen by certain people would affect my career and other opportunities in life i would perhaps fudge a few answers as well.

Given the governments recent stance on conspiracy theorists, maybe they're doing themselves a favor.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I think it is a loaded question, at least to a point. It would be very difficult to get a huge majority of people to agree on what the exact reason for the attack was - if there was 'one'. The nebulous nature of the cause does not preclude at least a brief snap-shot answer. An individual may pick a few of what they consider the key causes to draw attention to. The next person might pick a few different ones. But anyone who can claim the event to be within living memory really has no excuse for at least a basic understanding of it. And no, I don't mean everything that happened in any country on earth within living memory should be easily recollected by everyone. I mean any event within living memory of such magnitude that occurred within your own country.

It doesn't surprise me at all though. I saw a video clip on tv not too long ago. They had a camera crew on a beach during spring break asking college students some VERY basic history questions, and very, very few could answer any of them. These are college students who couldn't answer questions like: Who won the civil war? Who won the revolutionary war? They asked one girl how many people there were in the senate. She said, "What....right now?" I don't know what college she was attending but she should get her money back.

It was more than embarrassing. It was actually painful to watch.

Ah but these kids ARE paying, lots and lots.......

YT is full of these videos you speak of. There are a lot of folk out there a sandwich short of a picnic.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: lightedhype
We were given no instruction nor warning.

I've got about 16 years on you and I can tell you my generation didn't receive any warning or instruction on this, either.

Exactly. The current crop of school aged people isn't the first one in history to have to figure some stuff out for themselves. Pretty sure every damn generation has done that.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I was 20 years old waking up for work and watched the 2nd plane fly into the tower live. Still remember clear as day the news saying "it appears there was an explosion in the south tower" and thinking to myself it wasn't an explosion it was a freaking plane!

Honestly if I were asked that question I couldn't give you one singular pin-point answer. There were several things all tying together to lead up to an eventual attack somewhere in the US.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Well, let's face it. Millennials are a fairly complacent lump. If the Gov't won't pay for their expenses, Mom & Dad will.

Hell, they still live in the basement at Mom & Dads.

Also, don't forget...the government and media as well as the ignorant sheeple are far too busy constructing and swaddling themselves in a nice warm comfortable blanky of "truth".....So why bother telling the millennials anything their poor little minds can't really handle? Life is just hard all on it's own!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join