It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M1 Carbine for Home Defense?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
What do you guys think? I don't have a family that I have to worry about, nor do I live in a bad part of town..but sometime in the future wouldn't mind having something to defend myself in case someone decides to barge in in the middle of the night.

While I am in favor of more comprehensive background checks, I do believe that every American has the right to own a firearm for the protection of their home and family.

Now, the M1 Carbine fires a .30 round, some people say this round is ineffective at long range and lacks penetration power. But I'm talking about home defense here, and I think the .30 would be an optimal round for this situation.

The M1 seems like a fun gun to use, and light..stick a red dot and a foregrip on it and to me it sounds like a very good rifle for home defense...what do you more experienced guys think?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
What do you guys think? I don't have a family that I have to worry about, nor do I live in a bad part of town..but sometime in the future wouldn't mind having something to defend myself in case someone decides to barge in in the middle of the night.

While I am in favor of more comprehensive background checks, I do believe that every American has the right to own a firearm for the protection of their home and family.

Now, the M1 Carbine fires a .30 round, some people say this round is ineffective at long range and lacks penetration power. But I'm talking about home defense here, and I think the .30 would be an optimal round for this situation.

The M1 seems like a fun gun to use, and light..stick a red dot and a foregrip on it and to me it sounds like a very good rifle for home defense...what do you more experienced guys think?
who do u think is gonna burgle u that u need a gun to defend ur home use a bat less messy..

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Ammo for that is expensive. The rifle is very expensive if you do not already own it.

For tight quarters, Pistol or a short carbine that uses pistol rounds would be easiest and cheaper or of course a good old pump Shotgun.

It is nice to have a Glock 17 9mm and a Kel-Tec 9mm that use the same magazines.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hard to beat a 12 gauge for close range defense.
A rifle is going to have more penetration than you may need.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I would suggest a Remington model 870 12 gauge (pump) shotgun over the carbine.

*I own 2 WWII era M1s but the 870 would always be my choice for upclose quick response.

FYI, I compare the power of the .30 carbine round to the power of a .357 round. IMO.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Short barrel 12 ga.
Plenty of power, easy to use in tight spaces such as hallways, won't over penetrate [ Unless you're using slugs ] and it's pretty hard to miss with one.
Above all, as with any firearm - Safety First and Practice, Practice, Practice.

There was a thread about the .357 magnum, which is an excellent choice for home defense, but for an inexperienced shooter, in a highly stressful situation, I'd stick with the shotgun.
edit on 2-9-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I agree with others on the 12. I wouldn't want a round leaving my house and ending up in my neighbor's living room or worse I have a tactical turkey that is just right for the home. A 12 with 000 can't be beat maybe even slip a slug in every now and then.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: grubblesnert

I would suggest a Remington model 870 12 gauge (pump) shotgun over the carbine.

I keep mine loaded with a 7 12 round, a 00 if that's not good enough, and a slug for when it gets real.
In that order.
edit on 2-9-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I use an AK 47 as secondary home defense weapon. My primary go to is my Glock 19 G4 with nightsights and a Trijicon RMR reflex sight mounted to the slide. It works VERY well. And it's cheaper than a quality M1A.

Image just an example. This pistol is not mine.

I would recommend an M1A SOCOM 2.

A modernized version, easier to maneuver around household corners and rooms, and better options for expandability. I would also recommend a quality reflex sight instead of trying to use irons in the dark. It is also magazine fed in 10 and 20 rounders. Use soft point or frangible ammo to avoid over penetration.

You can also attach a flashlight to this weapon which I would HIGHLY recommend you do.

Getting positive ID on a potential threat is essential. Not doing so could land you in jail.
edit on pWed, 02 Sep 2015 21:35:30 -050020152America/Chicago2015-09-02T21:35:30-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The 30-06 round is actually quite accurate. It is also very good at longer ranges and has excellent penetration.

For self defense though, I would go with claymore mines...

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

Damn, man. I guess that would do the job. Kind of like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

LOL, Strap one to your helmet and face the enemy with a smile and say Now What?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And the wife could always throw around a couple of Frag grenades in the house also.
Don't be surprised if one lands in the Kitchen she wants remodeled though.

You don't pick a weapon for home defense based on if it's "fun to use".
If you want home defense don't even start with a gun.

Leave your house keys on the kitchen table and go lock yourself outside.
now ask "how do I break into my own house?"
Then look around and see where someone could be laying in wait for you when you come home.

Try to eliminate those spots or at least light them.
Do you have an alarm system? No the police won't get there in time, but it will scare the hell out of anyone coming in and give you time to reach your weapon. Which more than likely will be on the other side of the house when you need it.
Then ask yourself if someone did get in where would you most likely be. Living room, bed room etc.
Where would they approach from and where would your weapon be if you needed it.
Are there any obstacles between them and you? What could you do to slow them down before they even got into the room your in?
Then think about what type of weapon, how fast can you get to, load it, ID the target and fire.
Where will the round go if you did fire and miss?
Are you going to miss the bugler and shot ole' Misses Blue hair your kindly next door neighbor?
What position will you be firing from? Standing? if the burglar is armed they will most likely fire at anything chest high. But If you sitting on the ground with a shotgun at a 45 degree angle pointing at a door your a smaller unseen target and less likely to miss. And contrary to what people think a shot gun spread pattern is still fairly tight at close range.

If you really want a weapon for home defense keep it simple. Simple to get to, load and aim.
Something you can use when your half awake and disoriented.
And hopefully never ever use.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Personally for me the M1 Carbine is just a fun gun not something I would rely on for home defense or a SHTF situation. This falls down to the ammo, it is much harder to find these days and is getting way overpriced and is underperforming. You do not have the selection of defensive loads and the round has been left in the past by many ammo manufacturers. I say stick with primary calibers that will be everywhere in pretty much any situation 5.56, 7.62x51, 12 gauge etc. will always keep pace with bullet technology because of the sheer amount of weapons chambered in these go to rounds. Look how much .380acp has improved with modern defensive loads compared to what there was even 10 years ago and hence why the .380s have soared in popularity. You don't want to be stuck with such a waning cartridge as the .30 carbine, not mention you will curse it if you have to ever take a shot from over 100 yards.

You know what they say about opinions and sphincters, everyone has one and they all stink doubly so on the interwebs.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I have a gussied up SAIGA 12 for that job.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Or he could compromise, and get an M1 that takes 9mm beretta mags! Design he wants, most common cartridge in the world!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Man, you guys are screwed up in the US.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

A rifle is typically a poor choice for home defense. Carbine or not. Like many other posters have suggested a shotgun is a more defensible weapon. I would suggest smaller shot size than 00 if you are in close proximity to other dwellings due to the risk of wall penetration. I load mine with six shot and few giblets staggered in the magazine. Always be familiar with your line of fire. In other words. Practice a scenario where you are familiar with every firing position you can conceive of. Those who go looking for a fight rarely succeed against those who a prepared for a fight.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheridan91s

A rifle is typically a poor choice for home defense. Carbine or not. Like many other posters have suggested a shotgun is a more defensible weapon. I would suggest smaller shot size than 00 if you are in close proximity to other dwellings due to the risk of wall penetration. I load mine with six shot and few giblets staggered in the magazine. Always be familiar with your line of fire. In other words. Practice a scenario where you are familiar with every firing position you can conceive of. Those who go looking for a fight rarely succeed against those who a prepared for a fight.
Few giblets was autocorrected. Should have been frangible.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
M1911 Compact and gets the job done, 9mm belongs in a purse. (.45 ACP, like a 9mm for grownups)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join