It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the closest you've been to death?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

I almost drown once too, i was caught in a riptide but I believe I was just to weak at that point. I've been a driver in some pretty bad wrecks and had guns pulled on me. Would you tell us about the tornado? My Dad lived in Kalamazoo Michigan his whole childhood. They lived in a trailer that was flipped by a tornado when he was in it. Was it that close?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I've been swept away in a strong, turbulent river current and nearly drowned.
I was unable to get air. I struggled in a panic for what seemed like a lot longer than it probably was.
At some point I just gave up and came to terms with the fact that this was the end.
It was actually a very peaceful thing at that point.
Next thing I know the current spit me out onto some rocks.
That was no doubt the best gasp of air I have ever taken.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: redchad

F that. you are lucky to be alive. God bless you.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Well Damn, that is about ND as a gun to the head. BTW, did you now that person?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Why no girls in here?? Any bulemics almost throw up a lung?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I had a guy try to commit suicide by jumping off of an eight story balcony.

As he vaulted over I was able to grab and hang on to him.

While trying to pull him back over he kept trying to pull out from my grasp which almost caused both of us to go over.

Luckily he only weighed about 150lbs, as I am 240lbs and have decent strength so I was able to eventually pull him to safety.

Also, luckily, it happened at a new and very expensive condominium so the railing was newer and of higher quality.

If it was some el cheapo building my weight combined with his may have broken it and I wouldn't be typing this.

I never had a fear of heights, but now I don't like to go near a balcony.

edit on 28-8-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Proper respect given to a HERO!! So happy you saved that bastard didn't die.

I've done scaffolding 60' but never 80. I had a job putting them up and tearing them down and never had a fear of heights. I've done 30' roof tearout with no safety. Made me hate heights but thats my job.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

Well Damn, that is about ND as a gun to the head. BTW, did you now that person?

Nope. Didn't know them and didn't know I could run that fast.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I have piss poor eyesight that didn't get corrected til middle school. When I was about eight years old [snipped] I was crossing a main road. I didn't hear this car coming and had to peddle like a madman. I hit the curb, flipped over and bit over half my tongue off. It was right in front of [snipped] a public library. My sister who was in front of me was freaking out. We went inside and I probably soaked 50 paper towels. I thoought I was bleeding out but I didn't. I was awake with no anesthesia for the stitches in my tongue though.
edit on Fri Aug 28 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Adrenaline is a powerful drug. There was a gun so I take it you reside in the U.S.?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Maybe some inner city folks want to chime in? Pretty much anyone or I call me the winner.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

I was going to post something relevant....

But I got distracted.

You go ahead and take the win though.... Sweet lord above.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I've had a few accidents, and concussions; punches to the head, fallen off a ladder, fainted and fallen on to hard surfaces, stuff like that but I wouldn't call them near death, although I could have died. I suppose my most serious of where I should have died was a massive stroke I had five years ago. I was on the floor for two days and vomited while laying on my back, choked on it. Didn't die though and I really had no idea what was going on so I was not scared at all. I think I fell a few times since they counted 17 bruises. I'm paralyzed but I deal with it.

The only times I seriously though ok this is it I'm gonna die was bad choking attack, couldn'breathe or talk. That was scary. I had. no idea when you are choking you cannot talk or summon help. All I could do was punch my fist to say hey I'm choking over here. Was still ignored. I've choked since then as well. Common after a stroke with paralyzed throat.

Oh yeah and I almost drowned once. I'm surprised I survived that one. I really thought this is it as I was being swept out to sea and I'm quite sure there's bulk sharks in that sea.

Hsd a burst appendix too

Basically I'm Indestructible!

Never had an NDE.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Interesting Topic. OK, Let me share mine.

1st up was when I almost died from choking. It happened suddenly when I was eating while watching TV. True story.
It was a rare kind of choke. I almost died from it.

2nd was I almost died from Tuberculosis. Never knew I had it.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Not sharing this with any intent to be all macho or anything...as I'm far from that...

How close have I been to death?

Well...close enough I could smell his stank breath...dude needs a tic-tac or something...

Been clinically dead four times in my life.
Shot once. Drowned into unconsciousness once. Stabbed twice.
Deflected a knife blade juuuust as it scraped against my jugular.
Crashed a car into a motorway median barrier and ended up with sharp metal reinforcing rods from the concrete literally touching my forehead...few inches more and it would have pierced my skull an right into my brain...
Had a loaded shotgun held to my head and threatened...called their bluff...still living...
Still have the 30.06 bullet with a pierced primer that didn't actually fire when I tried to take my own life...

...lived a crazy-a$$ life for sure...but now I'm old, slow, settled...and just appreciating every blessing in every day...

Chances are I'll die from some weak shyte like choking on a peanut...

Can see it now...passing over to spirit...meeting up with my ancestors once more around the campfire...warriors the lot of them, and them asking me how I died...

"Umm. Choked on a peanut"

*silence*

"Yeah. Okay bro. Sit at the far end of the log okay...."

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: alien

Welp.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I've had a gun pointed at my head. When the trigger was pulled it just went "click."
That was pretty damn close.

Exactly the same thing happend to me.

Except I was the person pulling the trigger to my own head.
I shudder thinking about it

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

Just wanna acknowledge this...

Been there.
Aint your time.
Still got work to do.

Our call home comes when it comes...until then...keep on working...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I was last in line. I was ten or eleven. The little boy in front of me was killed with an elbow to the side of the head, just like that. That was way too close.

Nuns, the Catholic Church and the Police cover-up.

You have no idea how that can wreck your entire life.

P

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Apart from nearly dying as a baby a few times - one of the severest was after a regime of vaccinations that made me anorexic for a few more years and installed a middle ear infection at eight months, the most interesting brush with death I had when I was sightseeing in the Utah desert in '96 with my then seven-year-old daughter and her mom.

On our way out, as an August storm was gathering in the middle of the hot desert, I said hello to a Chinese-looking guy trailed by his desperate and alienated looking girlfriend or wife. I was jokingly asking if they had brought an umbrella to the desert because it was going to rain.
My daughter told us exactly when it was starting to rain or when we had to flee, she was in a psychic mood. The landscape looked like we were crossing a huge pebble ripped in two in the middle with small pine-trees growing in the gap.

A couple of minutes later there were giant deafening blasts and hail then a man came running up to me asking if I was a doctor then saying that someone had been hit by lightning on that very trail. I asked how he looked - I meant if he was halfway burnt or totally. The man misunderstood my question and started to describe that it was an Asian-American looking male in his late twenties, accompanied by his girlfriend...

Already on that very same trip I nearly fell into a chasm together with my daughter as we were climbing up since there was no railing and no way back. Plus we were out of water and we miraculously found a whole bottle of water thrown away by another tourist. Then my daughter told us to leave immediately as a storm was going to hit the giant pebble and that lightning in such places was dangerous. I didn't fully believe her but decided to proceed to leave just in case.

A few minutes later I saw the Chinese-American guy who was not carrying an umbrella.
Perhaps he knew that he was going to rendezvous death a few hundred yards from where I was walking with my family.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join