It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the closest you've been to death?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The T&C disallows me to discuss the specifics but there was several years that motorcycles and LEGAL pharmaceuticals made for extremely dangerous situations.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Hopefully lessons learned.
Albiet it sounds like the hard way.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

Hopefully lessons learned.
Albiet it sounds like the hard way.

I shouldn't be here. I got lucky. Yes though. Lessons learned. That was the 80's and 90's.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Gads,... the 80's and 90's...

I dont ever want to do those years again. Something about too much energy and not enough fully thought out motions.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I dont ever want to do those years again. Something about too much energy and not enough fully thought out motions.

And then A Flock of Seagulls. No wonder we were so accidentally suicidal.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Those were wild times for me, too. Back before cell phones were everywhere and a teenager could get away with a lot more.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes, and thank god no youtube yet.
I am sure I would have been on a few failblog videos.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

I hear that...

...pretty sure my prior younger life antics would at least make a few cameo appearances on any 'Stoopid Sh1t You Really Shouldn't Do' youtube vidz...

So many to mention...and why? Well...just coz...

Recall one time a few of my friends and I driving out in the middle of nowhere in my truck...accelerator cable snapped. Try as we might we couldn't rig up any speaker-wire or anything to the throttle-linkage to create any hand operated way of working the throttle/gas...only option left - remove the hood, toss that in the back of the truck, climb into the enginebay and operate the linkage by hand...all the while trying not to fall off the front of the damn thing or toast yourself on the engine...

...made for an interesting drive home...

Hahahaha

Tons of other absolutely mindless crap that - being a father of three - I'd now beat the ass off my kids for if they so much as even thought about doing...

Used to be heavily involved in the modified car/street racing scene decades ago.
Groups of us used to just fang about at ridiculous speeds doing ridiculous things.

One of our favourite games was Midnight Motorway Madness...
Essentially the game consisted of driving in the middle of the night, down the motorway, a 2-laned motorway...four cars abreast...lights off...full throttle, top gear, well in excess of twice the speed limit...first person to turn on their lights or button off lost...

Dear lord I have NO idea how we didn't crash (though occasionally the odd wing-mirror got collected and broken through cars contacting) and wipe ourselves all out...

Scary to think of it now...

edit on 31-8-2015 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Let's see...At 18 months I slipped in the bathtub and split my upper lip open. Lucky for me I didn't drown. At 3 yrs of age I decided to go out exploring. A stranger found me about a mile away from home on the major north-south route prior to I-95 being laid down. At age 4 I got pushed into the deep end of a pool on an Army base. I remember going in, but not coming out. I woke up on the grass. At age 5 I decided to take my "girlfriend's" hand and walk her home with me. Picture 2 five year old caucasian kids walking by themselves for 1-2 miles in Taipei, Taiwan by a 6 lane road. I was told a sizable portion of the US Army on the island went looking for us. On a walking trip into the countryside there in Taiwan on another day, with family and friends, we had only to cross that 6 lane road to get to our little American community. I decided that I could do it by myself and took off running. Almost cleared the 6th lane but got nailed by a local on a bicycle. I went flying and landed on my forehead. I got up unaided and not crying. My mother wanted to take me to the hospital and I didn't want to go. They tell me it took 6 soldiers to hold me on the way to the hospital. During one of a number of typhoons we experienced there I had a window blow in on top of me. Before I left Taiwan we stayed in a 6 story hotel. Of course I had to go exploring. My mother found me on the roof looking over the edge.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When I was like 8 or 9 I fell out of a tree from over 30 feet, bashed my head, bled out of my temples, and was unconscious for a number of days. They said that if my temples would have bled for a very minuscule amount of time more I would have died.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

And then A Flock of Seagulls. No wonder we were so accidentally suicidal.

Still trying to get over the images that conjured up of that band. Wish you hadnt said that.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Aaaaand I raaaaa aaan... I ran so far awaaaa aaa aaay...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Wow ... I read your near drowning experience, and it is worse than my own.

We both have amphibians in our avatars, and both almost drowned as kids (you worse).

Coincidence? Does that kind of thing make a person put photos of amphibians in their avatars?

Hah ... just had to reply considering this bizarre coincidence.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: alien

Thats it. Complaint filed to Skeptic. TAC clearly says you cant post offensive lyrics.
edit on 1-9-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join