It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seizure Alert Dog Gives Her Owner Warning. Owner Posts 'Embarrassing Video' to Share.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This could go in Medical or pets. I chose pets because...Well I just wanted to.

Epileptic Woman Struggled With Posting This Video Because ‘It’s Incredibly Embarrassing,’ but Just Watch What Her Dog Does to Help

www.theblaze.com...
At its worst, Shannon Locke’s epilepsy caused her to suffer up to 20 seizures a day, becoming so debilitating that she dropped out of school, lost friends and rarely left her house. “It was a terribly dark time,” the 21-year-old U.K. woman told the Belfast Telegraph. Eventually coming to terms with her condition and learning to better manage her epilepsy, Locke moved out of her parents house, but got a golden Labrador retriever puppy she named Poppy as company.

Then she started noticing Poppy’s strange behavior.

Poppy gives a 15 minute warning and that allows her owner to get comfortable, safe to ride it out.

Warning: The vid may be unnerving to some.

Poppy helps in other ways as well:

The four-minute video shows Poppy paw at Locke, who was on her bed, and stare intently at her. One minute and 35 seconds into the video, Locke starts to experience a seizure, her arms and legs shaking. Less than 30 seconds later, Poppy is licking her face, which the video explained helps reduce saliva around Locke’s mouth that could cause her to choke and also helps bring her back around.

“At first, she would sit and stare at me, then sometimes she would pant and pace around,” Locke told the Telegraph back in July. “I didn’t make a connection straight away, and took her to the vet as I thought there was something wrong with her.” There wasn’t anything wrong with Poppy though. Her behavior was apparently associated with the onset of Locke’s seizures.

So, 3 things here:

1. YAY Poppy!

2. What a brave thing to do. Bare all for the World to see when you are at your most vulnerable.

3. It may be embarrassing to her but she needn't feel that way. Many might go and get a new friend because of this.

And apparently Poppy also retrieves her meds for her.

Jude

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is why I love dogs. They have that instinct and are so loving! This is why a lot of people care more about their pets than other humans. It's the unconditional love your dog will give you no matter what you have done. I have lost my dog of 10 years 2 months ago and I still miss him everyday. I grew up with a dog, went about 6 years without one & then got Jack (pug). So it's been hard adjusting to not having one.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

There's a reason why they say dog's are man's best friend.

Dogs can be very protective of their owners. I really think dogs can feel when people are sick or depressed. I know our golden retriever knows when I'm sick or depressed. She will always come by rest her head, cuddle and lick my face.

I love dogs, they really can give you a lot of comfort, and plenty of laughs. Who doesn't need that in their life?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
This is why I love dogs. They have that instinct and are so loving! This is why a lot of people care more about their pets than other humans. It's the unconditional love your dog will give you no matter what you have done. I have lost my dog of 10 years 2 months ago and I still miss him everyday. I grew up with a dog, went about 6 years without one & then got Jack (pug). So it's been hard adjusting to not having one.

Dogs are capable of loving even the most vile human being. I speak from experience.

Jude

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Very heartwarming story. Gives me the warm and fuzzies. I've always wanted a dog but Little Jonzie is allergic.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Dogs are great to have around. I honestly don't understand people that don't like them. I mean, they're so helpful and if you're feeling low they always try to make things better. What's not to love?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Our daughter suffers from narcolepsy, and battles every day with the help of meds(both holistic and traditional), and lotsa support from those around her. The best investment we ever maid was to procure her service dog, Butters. Yes, I said Butters--he is the canine equivalent of the SP character. Butters has been trained to alert my daughter to impending attacks, and to take preventative measures to reduce injuries.

He has been a godsend in her effort to cope with this maligned disorder, and a loving but security conscious companion. Bosco, my namesake had some initial issues in meeting Butters, but fell to a secondary role as her protector. We are fortunate to have both in our lives, but the change in confidence to my daughter is a direct result of Butter's involvement. Love 'em both, I do.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

Our daughter suffers from narcolepsy, and battles every day with the help of meds(both holistic and traditional), and lotsa support from those around her. The best investment we ever maid was to procure her service dog, Butters. Yes, I said Butters--he is the canine equivalent of the SP character. Butters has been trained to alert my daughter to impending attacks, and to take preventative measures to reduce injuries.

He has been a godsend in her effort to cope with this maligned disorder, and a loving but security conscious companion. Bosco, my namesake had some initial issues in meeting Butters, but fell to a secondary role as her protector. We are fortunate to have both in our lives, but the change in confidence to my daughter is a direct result of Butter's involvement. Love 'em both, I do.

Glad you found butters. Great name.

Jude

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So how do the dogs know a seizure is imminent? Does the person's smell change? Do they detect a different electrical charge from the person? Do they see what we call auras? Would be good if there could be some sort of device worn like a watch that could detect a coming seizure, then the person could always get to a safe spot before it happens, no matter where they are.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Good doggie!

a reply to: CthulhuMythos

I would think they smell a chemical or electrical change. After a seizure, my mouth and my skin feel and my mouth tastes different.
edit on 8/27/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos
So how do the dogs know a seizure is imminent? Does the person's smell change? Do they detect a different electrical charge from the person? Do they see what we call auras? Would be good if there could be some sort of device worn like a watch that could detect a coming seizure, then the person could always get to a safe spot before it happens, no matter where they are.

If seizure service dogs are similar to my daughters(see above post), they are trained to be key on subtle body emanations exhibited by the afflicted. Dogs senses are much more attuned to their surroundings, and chemical precursors and changes to a persons physical status initiate their trained responses. My daughter's dog(Butters) has been trained and tailored to pick up on pre-episode manifestations, and alert her to take actions that limit damage from her attacks.

According to her doctor, chemical "triggers" are sensed by her service dog, and he acts accordingly. I imagine the dog featured by the OP is similar.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I find service dogs amazing! I'm sure your daughter and Butters have special bond.

My kids grew up with our pet Golden Retriever named Ginger. She lived her life until my oldest graduated from college. My kids had such a bond with her it was heartbreaking to see my kids say their last goodbyes. My wife and I couldn't live without a dog in the house so 6 months later we found another Golden Retriever and named her Pina. My daughter had a really hard time accepting another dog taking the place of her Ginger. She finally came around and has now accepted her.

Growing up with a dog has a lot of emotional benefits for kids. Since both our kids are now starting a life of their own, Pina has helped both my wife and I cope with an empty nest. Boy is she spoiled.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I find service dogs amazing! I'm sure your daughter and Butters have special bond.

My kids grew up with our pet Golden Retriever named Ginger. She lived her life until my oldest graduated from college. My kids had such a bond with her it was heartbreaking to see my kids say their last goodbyes. My wife and I couldn't live without a dog in the house so 6 months later we found another Golden Retriever and named her Pina. My daughter had a really hard time accepting another dog taking the place of her Ginger. She finally came around and has now accepted her.

Growing up with a dog has a lot of emotional benefits for kids. Since both our kids are now starting a life of their own, Pina has helped both my wife and I cope with an empty nest. Boy is she spoiled.

We have lived with(you don't own a Golden as much as they allow you to live with them as long as they are able to shower you with unconditional love!) a Golden for the last 22 years, both rescues, and both an integral part of our family. Our first, Sandy slept at the foot of our bed since the day we got her from PAWS. One night shortly after our firstborn's birth, I couldn't locate Sandy. The last place I searched was where she lay down--under our infant's bassinet, alert and guarding our son without being instructed to do so. Sandy later returned to our room at night, but repeated the same behavior when our daughter was born. Such the life of Sandy till she passed at the age of 14.

Bosco, my avatar's namesake, is now 7 years old, and while never viewed as a replacement for our original Golden, he holds a special place in our family's heart. He is the real life version of Doug, and his usual reply to my queries is: "Because I love you!". What a friend I have in my Bosco, and we both open our hearts to the newest family member, my daughter's Butters.

top topics

join