It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama responds to Virginia shooting, reporter tweets about it, hilarity ensues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
A Philly reporter was interviewing President Obama today and of course the topic turned to the shooting deaths of two Virginia news crew members.

Obama took the opportunity to say incidents like these break his heart and gun violence dwarfs terrorism in the U.S.

A reporter took offense to that and tweeted about it.

The responding tweets touch on a number of things ranging from "don't you have a fundraiser to get to?" to "did he mean Chicago?" to "what about 9/11" and so on.

I say he was taking the opportunity to promote an agenda, but it was still somewhat undertoned. Then again I haven't read a full transcript nor did I see the interview. What does ATS think?

Link - twitchy.com...

Mods, if this belongs in the mud pit or something, sorry. It may go nowhere or may get ugly.
edit on 26-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Forgot link

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Maybe the mud pit would be a good idea. Judging from the earlier thread on the shootings I can see it maybe getting ugly.

That said, I don't think the man ever passes up a chance to push an agenda. Then again, I don't think any of them do.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Agreed on both accounts. A politician passing on a chance to push an agenda isn't new I wouldn't think. Should be expected at this point?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

www.politifact.com...

Maybe there is something to the comment.
Something like 200K+ deaths since ~2001.

• Legal shootings: 1,999 between 2002 and 2007

If it was a pro gun comment do we think the same people would angry?

Or is that not pushing an agenda anymore.
edit on thWed, 26 Aug 2015 18:13:27 -0500America/Chicago820152780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I think it should be expected. They are prostitutes, in a way. The thing is that we the people aren't the Johns. This leads to the question of just who's agendas are getting pushed.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The same people? No.

Different people? Absolutely.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hell, show me *one* current event thread on ATS that doesn't turn into apolitical "my politics are better than yours" mud fest on issues ranging from the topic of the OP to the Virginia shooting to everything in between (guns/gays/god/etc).

That's the problem, and ATS is a microcosm of the larger issue: everything becomes partisan. Maybe there are active instigators, I dunno.

Other than that, yeah, currently, everything is Obama's fault. Probably the shooting too. Oh yeah, they're both black. Definitely Obama's fault.

Give me a break.
edit on 26-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
A Philly reporter was interviewing President Obama today and of course the topic turned to the shooting deaths of two Virginia news crew members.

Obama took the opportunity to say incidents like these break his heart and gun violence dwarfs terrorism in the U.S.

The responding tweets touch on a number of things ranging from "don't you have a fundraiser to get to?" to "did he mean Chicago?" to "what about 9/11" and so on.

I say he was taking the opportunity to promote an agenda, but it was still somewhat undertoned. Then again I haven't read a full transcript nor did I see the interview. What does ATS think?

Link - twitchy.com...

Mods, if this belongs in the mud pit or something, sorry. It may go nowhere or may get ugly.

I think he was taking the opportunity to comment on a specific incident and coment on his own idea of gun violence in America. That is pretty much ehat I would have said and without agenda.
edit on 26-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

He was asked a question. He didn't set up a press conference to throw out an agenda.
edit on 26-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm disappointed hilarity did not ensue.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

This is why all politicians are scum....at every opportunity they will push their agenda. He can't just shut up and comment on the actual tragedy and maybe extend his condolences to their families and remain in that moment - Ohh no, - he has to go beyond the event and introduce words like "terrorism" and "gun-related incidents" and draw his bias (and predictable) conclusion.

This moron of a POTUS fails to realize that the "shooter" had motive - so the gun is irrelevant because if the gun was not available the "shooter" would have still killed his targets - he would simply have used another method to dish out death.

Do you understand that Mr President? or are you that shallow and insecure with your own ability to address anything that you press your repeat button and continue with your pathetic gun-grab mentality?

A prize idiot Mr Obama is, he really should just quit, and leave the janitor in charge - maybe then we will see positive action and logic prevail.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Good point.

The counterpoint would be that he didn't need to set anything up, because the interview was already scheduled.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I'm disappointed hilarity did not ensue.

yes, I missed the hilarity ensuing.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The reporter should have done a little checking because if he had then he would have seen that Obama was right. Since 9/11 over 270K Americans have died due to gun violence.
Doonesbury strip says 270,000 Americans have been killed by guns since 9/11

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Good point.

The counterpoint would be that he didn't need to set anything up, because the interview was already scheduled.

There was no agenda there. He really thinks that. If he wanted a massive agenda 'out there' it wouldn;t be to just a random Philly reporter.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I find wildly partisan commentary on both sides to be pretty damned hysterical.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I am a little surprised at you, doing an autopsy on a mouse, I would call it.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Agreed. Which makes his response to the line all the more interesting to me. Even adding the number of deaths from OIF and OEF to the total dead from terror attacks against or in the U.S. the numbers are lopsided.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
What's funny about gun violence and terrorism?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I find the whole damn thing funny. Obama makes a comment on gun violence and a reporter runs to the ends of the earth with it. And tweets abound.

If you don't see the humor in that degree of partisanship, feel free to hit that "X" up in the top right corner and see yourself out. I really have no interest in this turning into a discussion on why I find hardline partisan politics entertaining.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

This moron of a POTUS fails to realize that the "shooter" had motive

Terrorist don't have motives? Anyone that murders another person always have a motive.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join