It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the Chevy Corvette lost it's appeal?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Nice .. Can a girl with a mk4 gti get any love?

Corvette.. Nah, not for me. Audi, yes please.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SachaX

but when another guy with my car pulls up they all start pointing and stuff.

I don't believe this at all. They're a Dr. Wife car. I can't imagine anyone who owned a Corvette let alone a new corvette actually being jealous. The Corvette is better in pretty much every conceivable way except interior quality. It's only $10k more for a base model too.

The Corvette has turned into an amazing car. You can't get near the same performance for the price.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Best comment in the thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Top Gear covered the subject. I can come back to that later.

If I were given a new Vette, I'd trade it right in for something like a Cayman.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SachaX

No, it has not lost its appeal. Its a regional thing.

I live in Britain, and although we have plenty of Ford motor cars around, they are not of the gas guzzling, couldn't turn a corner for toffees type familiar to American roads. When we see a genuine American import around these parts, of any brand, we tend to look a little longer, because the only place we have seen that model would be on Top Gear (or used to be anyway) or in movies.

There are so many Audi TTs knocking around my area, that they are passé, not considered an event worth recollecting. The reason for that, is that they are European in origin, and therefore are more common the closer one is to their origin. Britain is pretty bloody close to mainland Europe!

When I see an old Mustang, or Corvette, or even a new one (although calling a car with a plastic bumper and no chrome work a car, is like calling a Kbar knife a sword in my estimation), its an event, a thing which happens rarely, and which I will remember more readily than the passage of a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi, despite their obvious popularity and sleekness.

For you, the opposite is true. Simple regional supply differences, causing folk to gush at a rare sight of a thing they do not often spot while out and about.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Nothing but a big engine, wrapped with fiberglass and plastic.

You've essentially described all super/hypercars.

I think its just that a Corvette is more easier to attain than say a Veyron, therefore you see a lot more of them.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainTwig

No one said it was faster than a P1. Circa 100,000 Vs. one million.

Add about 30K to the 100,000K, send it to Hennessy and you'll be a match for the P!, or the 918 or, or....get the picture?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Hardly. Which would you rather be in when crashed at 80 mph?

Lambo frame -

Corvette frame -

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I know some "Vette lover is gonna scream, but....they're junk and they're ugly. Nothing but a big engine, wrapped with fiberglass and plastic. Lately they've done a decent job on the handling, cornering, suspension and all that, but if you're going to spend that much, why not just get a Jag, Porsche, BMW or anything but a Corvette.

I'm not really a vette lover, but honestly German cars are extremely over rated, over priced, and overly complicated for an automobile. And don't get me started with Jags, up until recently Jags were garbage, all they made that was good were engines.

Back to the German cars tho, their design and style hasn't really changed for over 30 years, they have just slightly become more smooth and stream lined, soon they will all just look like eggs if they keep on that path.
Don't get me wrong they are good cars, but not the best.

As for the Corvette, recently they have become more of a super car than a sports car, they used to be modest, sleek looking sports cars that anyone could save up enough money to get one, now days good luck saving up the cash to buy a new one.
They are almost on par now with Dodge Vipers in price!

I think the last generation of good Corvettes were back when they dominated the Le-mans circuit a few years back with the C5-C6 Generation, Ron fellows behind the wheel in his CR5 GT.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Meh.

This is more my style:

And besides... what good is a plastic car for bugging out with when the zombie apocalypse gets here ??

Pfft.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You're talking about a $55k car vs. a $200K car.

This is a Corvette frame.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

thats me.

well...mines' a 2004. But still. I love my pickup.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Rexsblues did say it was faster, check again. And I get the picture, but he should've specified a tuned Z06. Stock for stock it would get destroyed.

ETA. Hennessey doesn't go beyond an HPE800 tune. The p1 has 903 hp. I'd still say the P1, 918, etc would outshine it. I'm still rooting for the modified car, but those hypercars are crazy fast.
www.hennesseyperformance.com...
edit on 8/24/2015 by CaptainTwig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
An analogy if I may ..

It's like dogs. Some people are very into Great Danes, some are very into Dachshunds, and some people love Labradors. To those people, nothing sways their mind as to the superiority of these breeds for whatever reasons and these breeds are perfect to them. Some people don't give a # about breeds at all.

That's how I look at this. People have their own quirks and preferences. For me, I can't stand muscle cars, they're loud and fast (well .. Some) but just not my style. I'd take an rs4 avant.. But muscle car people would die before being seen in one of those.

Different strokes and all that

edit on 24-8-2015 by Ashirah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

For me, the appeal certainly has died down. The older ones sure were things of beauty.
edit on 24-8-2015 by SachaX because: correct image size found

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
At some point, Corvettes morphed into a Firebird looking thing. They just no longer had that unique Corvette look.

Now money being no object, I'd definitely go with a '60 vette to park next to my replica '60 Shelby Cobra. Not that I have either, and even with unlimited money I'd go for a replica Cobra. The real thing is crazy expensive, and the replicas look just as cool.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Your dating of that is too soon. They have/had 1000PH for the ZR1. The lastest model the C7 Z06 is a work in progress. The higher ratings will come later....

Then there's the torque factor:

www.youtube.com...

This Lambo is lighter, has more horsepower and all wheel drive. ( Not to mention a lot more expensive.)

Yet the Vette is right there. A very, VERY broad band of turbo-charged torque...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

This was a while back....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's one of the models on my short list of winning the lottery cars. Reliable drivetrain and still a lot of performance. No lack of appeal in that regard.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Midlife crisis mobile.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join