It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic State Beheads Syrian Scholar Who Spent Life Guarding Ancient Artifacts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Islamic State militants beheaded a leading Syrian antiquities scholar who spent most of his life looking after the ancient ruins of Palmyra. The militants then hung his body from a pole in a main square of the historic town, Syrian activists and the scholar's relatives said Wednesday.

The killing of 81-year-old Khaled al-Asaad was the latest atrocity perpetrated by the militant group, which has captured a third of both Syria and neighboring Iraq and declared a self-styled "caliphate" on the territory it controls.

Since IS overran Palmyra in May, there have been fears the extremists, who have destroyed famed archaeological sites in Iraq, would demolish the 2,000-year-old Roman-era city at the edge of the town — a UNESCO world heritage site and one of the Mideast's most spectacular archaeological sites.

The Sunni extremist group, which has imposed a violent interpretation of Islamic law, or Shariah, believes ancient relics promote idolatry. IS militants claim they are destroying ancient artifacts and archaeological treasures as part of their purge of paganism. The destruction IS has wreaked adds to the wider, extensive damage it has inflicted on ancient sites, including mosques and churches across Syria and Iraq.
talkingpointsmemo.com... twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So they murdered this guy because as they claimed he was "director of idols," represented Syria "at infidel conferences" and visited Shiite powerhouse Iran, look these thugs are at their murderous best they are in some ways worse than Pol Pot as they at least leave something of the past behind, these guys are hell bent on killing everything including our collective history..for those of you that visited those sites as Palmyra consider yourselves privileged to have visited them before their destruction.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Which artifacts?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: yulka

Palmyra.

Essentially, the entire site is an artifact.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

This is a horrible story indeed

Thoughts and prayers to this mans family.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yes, yes they did.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I have to concede to your post first as it was hrs before mine.. Mods do your thing and close this one pls.
Thanks Shamrock6.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
barbarians

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Hey no worries man I was honestly surprised it hasn't already been posted. I thought it was heartbreaking and sickening, myself. Glad to see others are just as hit by it.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Tears could fill an ocean

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Please continue in the related thread.

Link.

top topics

join