It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost City Discovered in the Honduran Rain Forest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL
a reply to: DeviantMortal

Here's something to make you more jealous. When we arrived at the main site, there was a building for tourist guides, and we were planning to just go walk around ourselves [wife and I]. But a Mayan guide introduced himself, and we decided to ask him to show us around. It turned out he was raised in a small Mayan village in the mountains, where his grandfather taught him the ancient Mayan history that his grandfather had taught him.

You were taken in.

No Mayan guide can translate Mayan glyphs. If he could, he wouldn't be a guide.

Very few people can translate Mayan glyphs - the language was only (mostly) deciphered in the 1980's. If Mayans were running around reading Mayan glyphs, that wouldn't be the case.

Harte

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

I wonder if its possible it was already translated and instead of translating on the spot he was repeating a translation? But either way I'm still jealous :p

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeviantMortal

I wonder if its possible it was already translated and instead of translating on the spot he was repeating a translation? But either way I'm still jealous :p

That's what I'm thinking.

But I wouldn't expect to get a straight story from some tour guide dude hanging around depending on tourist dollars like Brian Foerster or someone.

Harte

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I studied art history and have lived in several places around the world. When I visited Chitzen Itza, I 'saw' Asian artistic influences (several years later, Gavin Menzies published his book, "1427", about Chinese pre-columbus global voyages to the Americas) and I felt a powerful energy with a decidedly negative flavor. The abundant death icons gave the complex, for me, a feeling of mental derangement and disassociation from healthy living. Since my trip there I've read in some depth about the habitual use of halucogens for rites and 'festivities' before and during the mass executions of thousands of captured enemies at a time. That was a rotting culture about to die. I see similar signs here in America in our media's obsession with killing, torture, explosions, and violence.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Here's something to make you more jealous. When we arrived at the main site, there was a building for tourist guides, and we were planning to just go walk around ourselves [wife and I]. But a Mayan guide introduced himself, and we decided to ask him to show us around. It turned out he was raised in a small Mayan village in the mountains, where his grandfather taught him the ancient Mayan history that his grandfather had taught him.

You were taken in.

Very few people can translate Mayan glyphs - the language was only (mostly) deciphered in the 1980's. If Mayans were running around reading Mayan glyphs, that wouldn't be the case.

Harte

What really

anyone can be taught the Mayan language

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

anyhow ,

you do realize there is Classes young Adults can take in High Schools in Mexico , and Else where,
and back in the 1980s, just as soon as it was discovered of cracking the code , it was taught to local villages of where there is ruins, There Documentary showing this

The importance of Maya culture is attracting more and more attention. The Mayan language is now being taught in schools and modern science is recognizing the value of traditional medicinal plants for their healing power and their potential in finding cures for diseases like cancer, diabetes, and AIDS.

www.marc.ucsb.edu...

Mayan Language Teaching Tools Distributed in Rural and Urban Elementary Schools
www.theyucatantimes.com...

READ!!

Department of Indigenous Education will distribute this school year about 38,100 books written in Mayan and Spanish, benefiting 33,000 students in 612 elementary schools in 26 municipalities in Yucatan, seven are reissued editions and three are new.

No Mayan guide can translate Mayan glyph's. If he could, he wouldn't be a guide. Very few people can translate Mayan glyphs -

yeah ..... OK...

Hell, even my Indigenous language Iroquois Mohawk, is Taught in local Schools!
and you don't have to be Native American to learn the class.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Pretty cool info, I had no idea languages like that were taught outside of specialized colleges. And I just figured some of them meant you had to do the research yourself to learn them.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz

You were taken in.

Harte

What really

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

anyhow ,

you do realize there is Classes young Adults can take in High Schools in Mexico , and Else where,
and back in the 1980s, just as soon as it was discovered of cracking the code , it was taught to local villages of where there is ruins, There Documentary showing this

The importance of Maya culture is attracting more and more attention. The Mayan language is now being taught in schools and modern science is recognizing the value of traditional medicinal plants for their healing power and their potential in finding cures for diseases like cancer, diabetes, and AIDS.

www.marc.ucsb.edu...

READ!!

Department of Indigenous Education will distribute this school year about 38,100 books written in Mayan and Spanish, benefiting 33,000 students in 612 elementary schools in 26 municipalities in Yucatan, seven are reissued editions and three are new.

No Mayan guide can translate Mayan glyph's. If he could, he wouldn't be a guide. Very few people can translate Mayan glyphs -

yeah ..... OK...

Rocks don't talk.

Linda Schele (30 October 1942 – 18 April 1998) was an expert in the field of Maya epigraphy and iconography. She played an invaluable role in the decipherment of much of the Maya hieroglyphics. She produced a massive volume of drawings of stelae and inscriptions, which, following her wishes, are free for use to scholars. In 1978, she founded the annual Maya Meetings at The University of Texas at Austin.
Wiki
Note I said "reading," not "speaking."

Harte
edit on 8/20/2015 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You were taken in.

Harte

What really

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

anyhow ,

www.marc.ucsb.edu...

READ!!

yeah ..... OK...

Rocks don't talk.

Linda Schele (30 October 1942 – 18 April 1998) was an expert in the field of Maya epigraphy and iconography. She played an invaluable role in the decipherment of much of the Maya hieroglyphics. She produced a massive volume of drawings of stelae and inscriptions, which, following her wishes, are free for use to scholars. In 1978, she founded the annual Maya Meetings at The University of Texas at Austin.
Wiki

Harte

Do ever Fricken Read Links !!

Complete Fail!!

let try this Again from the same site

Pool Martinez explained that after 20 years of the ratification of the Maya alphabet in 1984, and based in peninsular level meetings sponsored by the Education Department of the State Government, the normalization the Mayan writing was achieved. Therefore the criteria was unified, allowing the establishment of the language in schools, strengthening in its content activities as listen and repeat, look and express, read and point, as well as strengthening the Mayan mathematics recovering weights and measures used by the indigenous people.

for people of a under Level, besides children

Be sure to look at the links in the Page ...

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

Ignorance runs strong in this one ..

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You were taken in.

Harte

What really

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

anyhow ,

www.marc.ucsb.edu...

READ!!

yeah ..... OK...

Rocks don't talk.

Wiki

Harte

Do you ever Fricken Read Links !!

Complete Fail!!

Pool Martinez explained that after 20 years of the ratification of the Maya alphabet in 1984, and based in peninsular level meetings sponsored by the Education Department of the State Government, the normalization the Mayan writing was achieved. Therefore the criteria was unified, allowing the establishment of the language in schools, strengthening in its content activities as listen and repeat, look and express, read and point, as well as strengthening the Mayan mathematics recovering weights and measures used by the indigenous people.

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Copan is amazing. Considered one of the more artistic centers of the Mayan civilization. I went there in 2006 when I was studying in Guatemala. Loved it.

One of my favorite memories was hiking miles into the mountains surrounding the valley and coming across a Mayan site deep in the forest which had giant stone toads, that were Mayan symbols of fertility and child bearing. It was said that women would hike there during pregnancy and sometimes give birth upon the toads.

There were no fences nor people there. It was just us, the jungle, and the giant toads..

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That doesn't answer the guide's claims. To my knowledge, the glyphs were deciphered a while back. It is extremely doubtful that he or she was "the one" who deciphered the glyphs for archaeologists.

Having a basic knowledge of Mayan glyphs is not enough to decipher 1000 year old entire cities, such as Copan.

Moreover, there are over 24 modern Mayan languages. Which one are they teaching?

I too had my Honduran guide at Copan. Fortunately he didn't claim all of that. He just told us the history and later went out for beers with us
. He also liked house music.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

Not written in glyphs. Superfail.

They use the same alphabet as we use to write the language using phonetics.

Such ignorance on ATS. Hard to believe.

Harte

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Maya Empire for Kids
System of Writing
mayas.mrdonn.org...

Not written in glyphs. Superfail.

They use the same alphabet as we use to write the language using phonetics.

Such ignorance on ATS. Hard to believe.

Harte

Yeah ! hard to Believe

that why ATS is So great ,
it will teach, encourage or Direct people of not in the know to know .

Do I know how to read Mayan gyphs , Nope ,
can i reconize Mayan Glyphs yes I can,

Pool Martinez explained that after 20 years of the ratification of the Maya alphabet in 1984,

hmm Mayan Alphabet

I was assuming the glyph's on that site aka the Page ..
as when you type Mayan Alphabet it shows the majority as Glyphs
anyway ..

Here is a Video segment , assuming from the History Channel .

See at the Around the 7.40 mark showing the Glyphs are being taught in schools

www.youtube.com...

edit on 52015FridayfAmerica/Chicago8232 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It's nice that they have provided a few workshops to teach this.

If you think that will allow a tour guide to read glyphs at an ancient site, well, you can believe what you want.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

We went to the giant toad site on horseback. It was nice, but it was not clear from those I talked to that it really was a birthing site 1500 years ago. That was a guess made recently after it was discovered.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14
Somebody had to provide the original translation. Maybe it was deciphered by an archeologist or two, or maybe the knowledge was handed down by people living near the site. Mayan culture in the Mayan days was a two or multi-tiered hierarchy, with an aristocracy/theocracy and the peasants, plus some ancillary specialists like stone carvers. The aristocracy maintained knowledge of translating the glyphs. The Mayan tradition was for one generation to pass down their knowledge to their children. Mayan culture, once they evacuated the cities and moved into small villages, didn't change much over centuries, so it is not hard to believe someone day could have inherited it. When the evacuation of Copan happened, the aristocracy was driven away from the peasant villages, so they had to maintain their own, where perhaps the translating ability was preserved. The Mayan guide had a lot of other information about his life that made sense, in a consistent way.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz
The glyphs on the stellae are not written in an alphabet, they are like hieroglyphics, with one symbol for one object. Each king in the dynastic lineage had his own symbol. The Mayan alphabet is something wholly different, and is like alphabets for other languages, phonological or approximately. Translating the glyphs means knowing what the different symbols represented. There was no Mayan alphabet during ancient Mayan times.

Also, there are not many things on the stellae, they are almost all histories of the major events in the history of the city.

No doubt each city has its own set of symbology, as they each had their own dynastic lineages and histories. My guide knew the ones in the city he grew up next to, and stated to me that he learned it from his grandfather. Seemed reasonable at the time and still does.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Copan has the largest collection of glyphs of any Mayan site so far uncovered, and I could have learned to read them in a week. There aren't that many symbols.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

its another "ancient" animal worshipping site, here its the monkeys, other places its the Bull or Cat that is top dog etc

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It's nice that they have provided a few workshops to teach this.

If you think that will allow a tour guide to read glyphs at an ancient site, well, you can believe what you want.

Harte

Yeah it is nice teaching back the Mayans their Lost Written "glyphed " Language

why is it Doubtful to you, that you think they would not allow that to Happen ?
where the Tourist could of have experience of reading and understanding the Mayan
, Aztec, Glyph's with out anyone knowledge,

But one thing that is rare , is the Sumerian Writing, that should focus on more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join