It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Threat at Savannah River Site Nuclear Facility in South Carolina

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW) -- According to the Savannah River site, a potential security threat is in progress that has caused emergency response. SRS says site barricades are closed to incoming traffic. According to SRS, there is no indication of any threat outside of the SRS boundaries.

Lockdown in place at Savannah River Site Nuclear Facility in South Carolina

Very little details so far at the moment time but there is a potential security threat at this nuclear facility in South Carolina and the facility is on lockdown per reports.

Link to Aiken Standard for more information.

www.aikenstandard.com...

Will have to keep an eye on this story for more details for this breaking story for sure.
edit on 17-8-2015 by usaman1983 because: Title Change and addend link to Aiken Standard newspaper

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: usaman1983

Star and flag there's always reason to be concerned when a potential security breach occurs at a nuclear facility.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Crashed bogie.
Give them 24 hours for cleaning procedure.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I asked a close family member about this (they work in nuclear defense, etc.), will let y'all know what I hear.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Thread title sent a cold chill down my back...

those words should not ever be in the same sentence.

Early days yet, before I panic, I want to know if there's a reason to.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

FYI - so far they haven't heard anything major yet (or that they could tell me about). Was reminded that most bases or secured sites have standard emergency procedure to shut down all the gates, even if it is just some alarm that ran out of batteries and is going off somewhere.

Keep an eye on this, but don't panic, yet.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Well that is certainly a bit disconcerting. I am not a fan of nuclear plant emergencies....especially when they won't say what it was....

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Thanks for starting thread so we can track.

Not enough info to be concerned yet.
Could just as likely be a false positive on any one of a million things as it could be a legit security threat.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You have people working there, or just in the industry?

If the former, hope they're safe.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
They said there's nothing outside so that means an internal issue. Probably an employee fight or something stupid. We have 2 local plants and I know people that work security at them. A while back they had a woman who refused to remove her ear rings and she knew better and continued to argue, so they hit the button when she got mouthy again and suddenly she's in an explosion proof room waiting for the state Police. Never to work in the nuke field again anywhere.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Turn out it's just some poor sap that wanted an application for janitorial work. Didn't see any guards and went to find the office.

thats not really what it is but I could see that happening.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

They actually work in the bowels of the Pentagon... but this is the kind of thing they would know about pretty quickly.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Completely agree, the terms security threat and nuclear are just...well...not inspiring.
Hopefully it is all down to some Homer Simpson type error and has no repercussions.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

"The Aiken Standard, quoting a source on the site, reported it involved a bomb sniffing dog alerting on a vehicle. Other local media said the dog alerted on a truck coming in to restock vending machines and bomb squads had been called to the scene as a precaution."

MSM Coverage

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

damn I think , I like my reason better. I didn't see the other link untill you posted that reply.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I'm getting a little more nervous, because I can usually hear back from my family member via email pretty quickly. I am still hoping this is a false alarm of some sort.

Although the whole vending machine thing has my imagination thinking back to the Sum of All Fears novel...

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I prefer yours, too. Though that opens up a wonderchest of issues too, though less immediate.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just went over to Broadcastify to check scanners for Aiken County,
Both Sheriffs Dispatch, and Public Safety, initially appeared as 'online'
- Now they're both offline.

www.broadcastify.com...

I'm just throwing it out there. S&F.

Also:

News Release #2

For more information call: (803) 952-8060
Date: August 17, 2015Time: 17:00

AIKEN, S.C.—
This is an update to the emergency declaration at the Savannah River Site.

The event was declared after electronic and canine scans of a vendor delivery truck indicated a possibility of explosive residue on the truck. Law enforcement agencies from South Carolina and Georgia were called and are on the scene to assist Centerra, the site security contractor. More information will be provided as it becomes available.

8/17/2015 NR#2
www.facebook.com...
edit on 17-8-2015 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Theory...

Vending company adds new product to the line containing Almonds.
Dog trained to sniff out explosives recognizes the scent of Almonds as being a threat, gives a false signal, bomb squad called over a new Almond snack because people don't talk to each other or have basic common sense

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

We may have differing views on other threads, but I really appreciate your quite rational theory here.

Lets up that's all this is, a mis-communication and hyper response.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join