It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Threat at Savannah River Site Nuclear Facility in South Carolina

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor
a reply to: Rocker2013

We may have differing views on other threads, but I really appreciate your quite rational theory here.

Lets up that's all this is, a mis-communication and hyper response.

I'm the king of rationality

In all probability this is a false alarm, and in all probability the response is in an abundance of caution.
Given what I know about security checks, there are a number of things on a vehicle a dog unfamiliar with a specific scent might pick up on from a cleaning product used to something the vehicle rolled through two hours before. In all likelihood it's something incredibly boring and banal causing an alert.

But hey, at least that shows that these systems are working.
We would all rather there be false alarms than no alarm when one is needed, right?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I am on vacation not far away on Hilton Head Island. Hopefully this is nothing but if it isn't I will have a front row seat for a few seconds at least......
edit on 17-8-2015 by CalibratedZeus because: Autocorrect fail.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Also important to consider that if this were a deliberate act intending to cause an explosion, the perpetrator would either be in the vehicle or would be watching it to act at the right time.

Given that the vehicle has been stopped, that person would have done their intended already and we wouldn't be talking about an alert, we would be talking about an explosion having happened already at the perimeter of this site.

Unless the supposed "device" failed, this would appear to be a false alarm, otherwise the responsible party would have acted already.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

We may have differing views on other threads, but I really appreciate your quite rational theory here.

Is there any reason for explosive residue to ever be on a vending machine truck?
Cannot think of any.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Is there any reason for explosive residue to ever be on a vending machine truck?
Cannot think of any.

It depends what the dog is trained to sniff out.
Twenty years ago a dog might only be trained to seek traditional explosives, but more and more are being trained to sniff out and recognize the component and chemical compounds used to make an explosive.

It's the same way Airports have learned to adapt their screening methods, preventing people from taking in bottles which could contain just one component, to then be combined with another someone else is carrying. On their own they might seem to be innocent, but combined they can be used in a different way.

There's a good chance this dog has been trained to recognize various components for a Nuclear site like that, so it seems entirely reasonable that it might pick up a scent for a cleaning fluid which COULD be used in such a way.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There might also be a little artistic license being used in the reporting too, lets not forget the poor standards of journalism we so commonly see in the US these days.

It might not have been a "residue" at all, that could just be what the "journalists" are calling it because they're too ignorant to know better, or willfully want to exaggerate the story for attention.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Now that I think about it,
maybe it's just a test, or a drill...

~*~*~*~*~*~

(o_o ')

*Code-Red*

edit on 17-8-2015 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: iunlimited491
Now that I think about it,
maybe it's just a test, or a drill...

~*~*~*~*~*~

(o_o ')

*Code-Red*

Like the millions of drills that take place all around the world every year without anything happening you mean?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Cannot think of any.

Sure. The truck transported some sort of explosive element and wasn't cleaned afterwards.

Where I used to work, there was a pretty big government installation. Any time their mail facility or dogs detected any amount of explosive material or certain chemical/biological agents, they locked down the gates. Depending on what secondary testing showed, they locked down the entire facility and started moving people out.

Could be something, could be something completely innocuous.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

FYI - Latest tweet / facebook post by the Savannah River Site is an all-clear given. Good news - this time around!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
3 miles from where I live.

My ex-wife works there. I called. Her reply: smh. I'll get home late.

If anything bad happens I'll post here.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Glad to hear she's okay and getting home though!!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No biggy.

The way they guard the place, they tend to shoot first, ask later. And to get in, you've got to drive for quite a while, IF you get past the security gates.

All the reactors are shut down there since the 80's.

The Bomb Factory, as our locals call it, do have quite a bit of radioactive waste there though.

But with the trigger happy Wackenhut security guys, I've never been too worried.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

That's Wackenhut for ya!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
AT least it wasnt the hartsville plant. Just for giggles they have a klaxxon system set up if the plant ever goes up into a 10 million degree fireball. you can hear it for 50 miles when they set them off. They say if you hear them going off if you are within 50 miles kiss your butt goodbye in the case of a wildcat explosion.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I have spent a lot of time there, that's where my mother's side hails from. I have a cousin that works there also.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I blame China for this.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Cannot think of any.

Depends on what the dog is trained to sniff for. Hexamine smells a lot like C4 to a pooch, I'd imagine.

Maybe the driver's into reloading, and is using double base powder, there's a bark bark right there.

Or, hm, if I wanted to cause an issue, I might spray a vendor's truck with Eau De PETN every few days. The trucks are easily gotten to during the week, enough false alarms and maybe they stop paying attention. Or I might do it to see if you would notice me bringing in a wad of PETN or RDX or whatever I had lying about.
edit on 18-8-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Sent a chill down my back too. I live in SC!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

I love Hilton Head. I have a place in ShipYard. Have fun!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join