It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Straight Outta Compton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Saw it last night. It's not going to appeal to everybody but I really liked it despite it's apparent flaws. There were some powerful scenes especially pertaining to the LA riots and the film had a lot to say without being too blatant. They also packed a huge amount into it while managing to make the first 2/3 of the film quite fast paced although it did fall off a bit towards the end.

Would definitely recommend it for anybody that's interested in the subject matter.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I saw the movie on Friday night with my 18 year old son. Ironically, I was about his age when NWA first came out. He likes current main stream rap although I have introduced him to old school rap, and he was listening to muscis from this era all weekend. I thought it was a good movie, but wonder how accurate it was. Since Dr. Dre and Ice Cube were involved in the production, I'd like to think that the movie was fairly close to reality.

The one thing that struck me was the vulnerability that people who become wealthy really fast face. Whether it's Mike Tyson blowing through hundreds of millions of dollars, MC Hammer being broke due to supporting family and friends, or countless musical artists getting screwed over by their business manager or financial advisers. Put some of that money away because it's not going to last forever!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Yeah I think they took some creative liberties and maybe whitewashed it a bit to make the protagonists especially Dre seem like nicer human beings than they actually were.

I would've been just as happy seeing a movie solely about Cube tbh as he was always the most politically conscious and outspoken member of the group but still liked it for what it was.

Was crazy how bad they got scammed and used by everybody that just saw them as a mealticket, never knew just how deep that was!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's 80% accurate due to easy E's wife having the rights to all of NWAs music. He is portrayed much better in the movie than he is in music videos. The timeline at the end was played with by about two years.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470
Bone Thugs also went on the radio saying Easy E was healthy and was given full blown Aids. Then Suge Knight went on a talk show saying he didn't need to shoot people, he would just give a person Aids.

That's something I had forgotten until I was reading about what was left out of the movie a few days ago.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I want to see it just for the inside perspective. I met Ice Cube when I used to live in LA. Really cool guy!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Don't need to see it.. I lived it. Yep was a white boy from So Cal.... and I saw them in concert. My momma didn't want me seeing van halen or megadeth in concert... so I saw NWA , public enemy ... she very quickly allowed me to see VAN HALEN AND METALLICA.. also.. norco does not look the same since then... Mira loma has changed..

Edit... remember when the Raiders and Rams were an L.A. franchise!?
edit on 18-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Saw it loved it, however I was never a big fan of gangsta rap although I liked some of NWA's stuff I preferred the east coast stuff conscious Rap like P.E Boogie Down Productions KRS-One, D-Nice, and DJ Scott La Rock.
edit on 30-8-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeah I'm with you on that. Didn't really take much notice of the west coast stuff until Ras Kass came out. A movie about PE would be awesome!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Saw it today and loved it.. the soundtrack was banging and the movie was great.
Obviously there's artistic licence and you're never going to get the whole uncensored story but I thought it was really good.

Took me back for sure.

new topics

top topics

join