It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$200k homes on offer in every US state: which would you pick?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well, the one we choose was a 190 000 dollar miracle house, 1/3 acre, and we chose it for the property, the house was older and small, looked like a grannies house really.

The US has more deals, and amongst the pics on that site, there was 1 I found charming, but not sure its big enough for my family, though if it had a full basement, and daylight full spectrum lights, with large greenhouse windows, big enough to escape from, then the basement would be fully usable and could be made attractive. Otherwise just make it slightly larger, but this style appeals to me very much. However, still would choose yard over house. I like nature and we have a bit of a bird sanctuary going on.

In a scarsity system, people's wishes and dreams are often underveloped unless they're healthy, high energy, work a holics who sacrifice families to get ahead, and its not worth it, its dark side success in this world. I'd rather be light side poor. So you never get your wishes, and your dreams and talents are undeveloped on earth, due to who is mismanaging it.

To truly reflect what style of home I like, and if I won 500 000, and had a team who could build it inexpensively, just pitched in to help so not alot had to be hired out, these earthship homes which recycle water and run on solar/wind, (I'd create friction heaters and cavitation devices too), with their own aquaponics greenhouses attched to the homes, would be my choice.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I liked that choice also...

and the earthship ones are so AWESOME!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Here's another article:
The Most Expensive Homes in Every State

I'll flip through and find my favorite there, too....
I guess this one:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For 1 million (I'd do it for less by buying land and building home and planting the trees), an orchard/vineyard in the Okanagan, from Oliver to Kelowna/Vernon, Summerland would be ideal. Again the house wouldn't matter anywhere near as much as the property.

www.orchardandvine.net...

We have a big family, ideally a house would be 2000-2400 square feet, prefer one level and it could be smaller with a teenage cottage, and a full usable updated basement with large greenhouse windows, or walk out one one side for guests, music, and looms/wheels and business. 4-5 good sized bedrooms.

But huge mansions, I'd turn them into apartments and contact ministry and put troubled teens in foster care who can't keep foster homes, in them, independent living style.

For that kind of money a vineyard in Summerland or Westbank would be the goal though.

media-cdn.tripadvisor.com...

Or sell the mansion and buy several organic cheap farmlands in smilkameen and have multihomes for many people, and kind of eco farms, or land trusts.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Yeah, I wouldn't really want a "mansion" anymore - unless it was a hotel.

SW England - Fawlty Towers.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Holy crap thats so cheap compared to the uk.
I can't click on the link but does it say what 200k will get you in detroit? A 20 bed castle?.

Very close. You would get a Addams Family style stone house with turret bedrooms.

www.zillow.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Bah, I can tell you now those are all going to be too large. There are only three of us. Total waste of space.

Interior wise, I want a good kitchen with plenty of room to work. I would also like a room lined with bookshelves. 1.) I have that many books and 2.) It's practical. Books are good insulators.

I can envision that room with a open space and a loft style upper floor with the master bedroom built above it and a spiral staircase to get to it. The bookshelves wouldn't necessarily be an office space, just a library. The actual office would open off the library/shelf space and be open plan, lined with windows to let in plenty of natural light that could be controlled with drapes/blinds. Natural lighting is best for my migraines.

Location-wise, it would be out far enough from the city that we could have a decent yard for the kiddo to play in and explore without having to worry about over-anxious neighbor nannies and predators stalking every street. I also want good distance between me and my neighbors. If I happen to get into the shower some nights without taking in my clothing ... I don't want to have to worry about flashing the whole neighborhood if I walk naked back to my dresser in the bedroom.

I guess maybe I spend more time envisioning the interior of my perfect space than worrying about the exterior. But then that's my life. What's on the inside is way more important than what's on the outside.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wow that's mega cheap. Where I live you would be lucky to get a two bedroom unit for under 500 thousand. 3 years ago we bought a 3 bedroom for 279 thousand , the last house under 300 thousand it's a run down 100 yr old house that needs heaps of work. A year ago it's cv was 340 thousand but a house here always sells for twice it's cv. We were extremely lucky that my dad and his wife helped us out with a deposit otherwise we would never have been able to do it. Even with mortgage and rates and all the insurances we are still paying less than if we were renting. But I can't say I would sell up and move to the states.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Interior wise, I want a good kitchen with plenty of room to work. I would also like a room lined with bookshelves. 1.) I have that many books and 2.) It's practical. Books are good insulators.

I have both of those.

Only 1300 square feet.
1/3 acre.
Charming stone cottage set in the Loes Hills deciduous forest.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

On the opposite side, in Vancouver we have a running joke.

Crack Shack or Mansion

Our housing market is out of control. $200,000 (might) get you a studio condo.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Holy COW!!! I just tried part 1. Unbelievable. Wow......

I got 6 out of 16. wow.

Is it real, though????? Says so on the site when I finished.....
edit on 8/9/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Where are you??? I'd be delighted to live in the Scottish Highlands, or Ireland or Iceland......

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Would love to find a decent home in Hawaii for $200,000. The median price is $700,000!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: boymonkey74

Probably half the town and enough guns to defend it probably

200k around here would be a decent 4-5 bed with a bit of room so long as you didn't head into certain areas where prices go a little loco

Maxatoria are you in Old Blighty?

I've been there once and love it. The people were awesome. The countryside was stunningly beautiful. I knew I could be very happy there.

d

edit on 9-8-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Location, location, location.

In most major urban cities with good schools and high wage professional jobs, $200k will barely get a 1 bedroom condo. If one didn't mind living out in Podunk and could figure out how to support themselves, it would certainly make sense. However, if want to be in a major city, it is going to cost you.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

Do you count this as "decent"? (I would - if I could live in Hawaii):
The pic is what you can have....

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If one didn't mind living out in Podunk and could figure out how to support themselves, it would certainly make sense.

Telecommuting.
It's everywhere.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Thank you, I saw that. First thing I thought was that house is in the lava zone path, thus why it cost so little. Or another reason, like it's 50 miles from town, which would not be reasonable to me.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

50 miles....doesn't seem that far. Takes me about an hour to drive that far.....
how much lower would your property taxes be, though? And "lava zone" - is there insurance coverage you can buy for that? In my are "flood zone" insurance is extra....but I live on top of a hill, so flooding isn't a problem.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

50 miles is ok if you just have to drive to work and back but since I have two children and take care of my grandma i need to make multiple trips to town daily so that wouldnt work for me. Lava insurance is extra but are only issued to certain zones. A lava scare happened a few months ago, the insurance company decided to put a moratorium on new coverages. Smart for them but bad for homeowners. Should they have gotten insurance initially, yes. But this was the first time the lava started flowing north instead of South.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join