It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger.
I don't understand why it has to be wrong for people to seek help for their medical issues. If not eating wheat helps someone feel better than what does it hurt?

I do appreciate your posts around here. I am simply trying to show you that sometimes things have a bleed over effect in real life. Joe blow will be quicker to remember a post about someone's opinion quicker than he will bother to look up any kind of study about this disease. So when I walk into a restaurant and he gets a ticket come into the kitchen, is he going to take the added steps of removing cross contamination, or is he more often going to blow it off because it doesn't make most people sick?

It's not scientific at all. It's dealing with real people in the real world and so often people just don't care, especially if it makes more work for them. If the entire concept was taken a bit more seriously then maybe I could walk into a restaurant and have a romantic meal with my husband. As it stands, I can't. Unfortunately too many people gloss over because they just don't care. I had a server at a gluten free restaurant give me a blank stare when I mentioned gluten. I can't trust the masses to hear what I have to say since I'm only one voice. Why not allow those myriad of other voices to add to the volume a bit. Then those of us who really do suffer can possibly benefit too. It worked in the grocery store. The more people who buy those specialty foods the better, it makes it cheaper and easier for me to feed my family.

You do have a very valid point about waiting behind people who may not need the medical help as much, but that's why I have an awesome doctor! He's even willing to call me from cancer conferences in Vegas to help me. So I am an anomaly when it comes to healthcare. I do not envy those in other situations as far as that goes.

I'm only trying to help people see this from another perspective. A perspective that would quite frankly make my life easier, so it's a bit selfish. Thanks for not blowing it off! Too many people do.

edit on 9-9-2015 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

OATS!!
They are the magic glue for meat loafs and hamburgers!!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Tomorrow's Dinner...

Spinach Swiss Pie

4-8 oz mushrooms, sauteed in butter or coconut oil
10 oz spinach, thawed and squeezed
1/4 cup bacon bits
1/4 cup onion
8 oz Swiss cheese
4 large egg, extra large, beaten
3/4 cup half and half
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Saute mushrooms and onions and allow to cool slightly. Put spinach, and cheese in large bowl. Mix in cooled mushrooms and onion. Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl. Put the spinach mixture in the buttered pie pan; pour the eggs and milk over it. Sprinkle the parmesan.
Bake for 35-45 minutes.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Quick or regular?
Do you have to grind them up some?

The recipe calls for taking the fresh bread crumbs and adding to milk, letting that sit to absorb....would you still do that with the oats??

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I use thick old fashioned rolled oats from bobs red mill whole and don't add fluid believe it or not. They disappear easier than you would guess, but if you don't want the texture, I would suggest grinding them a bit.

It might help though, I was just remembering my first burgers with them, hahaha. You may want to grind them a touch and add less milk than to the bread crumbs. Use less of them than you would the bread crumbs too.
edit on 9-9-2015 by woodsmom because: Just remembered haha

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Cool...I'll do some figuring and adjusting....and post the recipe later.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

That sounds wonderful! What would you substitute for coconut flour and how much?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

LOL...I'm wondering how you could do it sans the apples.....

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hahaha! You could always put it in cupcake liners, my husband got two that way and they worked out great.
You could probably use any GF flour or mix, I like the coconut for the amount of moisture it absorbs. You may want to increase any other flour sub to 3/4 - 1 cup instead. Make sure the batter is of a thicker consistency.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Classic Meatloaf

1/2 cup rolled oats [3 slices white bread in original gluten-y recipe]
1/3 cup whole milk [start with 1/4 cup milk]
2 pound ground round
1/2 cup colby cheese, grated
1/2 cup onion, grated
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 large egg, extra large
1/2 cup ketchup [Or a bit more]
Coarse salt and ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place oats in food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in milk. Set aside, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[NOTE: I usually put the salt, pepper and garlic in the bowl with the oats and add that way to the meatloaf]

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add oats-milk mixture, and mix very gently with a fork (do not overmix).

3. Place meat mixture on prepared baking sheet, and form into a loaf about 9 inches long and 4 to 5 inches wide.

4. Bake, brushing twice with remaining 1/4 cup ketchup during baking, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees, 45 to 55 minutes. Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

edit on Sun Sep 13 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Just made a beautiful coconut flour chocolate brownie. Gluten free dairy free.

Read carefully as there are some sneaky measurements I never heard before.

1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil.
1/4 cup cocoa powder.
3 large eggs room temp. I used 6 small eggs, maybe try 5 small instead next time.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, I used maple syrup instead cos had no vanilla.
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons agave nectar or honey, I used soft brown sugar.
1/2 cup minus 1 Tablespoon Coconut flour.
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips.
1/3 cup chopped nuts, was gonna use pecans but my daughter didn't like them so used no nuts.

Preheat oven 150 degrees Celsius or 300 degrees Fahrenheit if ya roll that way.
Line 8x8 I guess inches as I think this was an American site I saw it on, I just used whatever size pan, oh yeah they said use a glass oven pan.
Line pan with baking paper and lightly grease. Leave some paper hang over on two edges for easy removal and cutting.
Melt coconut oil and combine in large mixing bowl with cocoa and the eggs and sweet stuff sugar or gave nectar and beat until combined. Add coconut flour and salt plus vanilla extract, mix again until combined throughly. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
Spread evenly in lined pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife is clean when poked in middle of pan. Cool on wire rack. Then cut.

Hope that helps the sweet tooth.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

That sounds wonderful!!!!

Assuming it's not eaten at once....did you store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator???

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I think can chill it. It's still sitting on my bench tho. Will Prob get eaten today as a few people here.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
They're called Buckwheat GROATS....a reply to: Cloudbuster

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Side note, to the point about it being a North American thing and eating bread in Europe.

In the U.S. there is a chemical used to speed up the effect of yeast. It reacts poorly with the gluten. When bread is made in the old fashioned way or using historical techniques and recipes as well as organic ingredients, it's tastier and causes less GI disturbance.

We eat sprouted grain breads like Ezekiel and other similar products or at least only organic, non-GMO bread. They're all tastier and more filling than processed brands so one piece will do.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
Geez, and remember when we all thought "Better living through Chemistry!" was always going to be a good thing.

I have heard at least one ATSer say they could eat bread in Europe without ill effects....and I believe there is a bakery in the SF, CA area that sells bread make with European flours.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Hi all.
hey I'm not in the states and I'm only guessing most of you in this thread are from there and some of you may have seen this but...... I just saw on pintrest a list of completely gluten free restaurants and cafes in each state. Anyways........ keep the yummy recipes coming and could one of you please give me the basic ingrediants and hopefilly amounts of the flours that make bobs red mill flour.
Thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I do not have their flour blend on hand at the moment, just rice flour and tapioca. If I may though, extend your request to their cornbread mix as will, I would love to have the amounts of the different ingredients so I can make it myself.

I am making the Pot Pie recipe off the Pamela's site tomorrow. Wish me luck as I have not pie crust yet.
www.pamelasproducts.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

We don't eat out all that often.....and since I'm new to eating GF.....never thought much about it...but there is a site in the US to find eateries
www.findmeglutenfree.com...

Thanks for the idea!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Does anyone have a really good quick bread recipe?
Maybe banana, but anything will work.

Also looking for a good bread recipe to toast, prefer a "white" bread.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join