It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS are you ok fella ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

how much do we need to keep it from happening skeptic?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I just sat around for hours say'n theres no place like home.

[yvid]
[/yvid]

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Right ! the old saying goes , you never know what you have until you loose it !

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

Thanks for the support my man.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Bumping for the Overlord !

So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services. We picked PhoenixNap for their stated ability to isolate us from attacks, and build highly customized servers. The transition wasn't cheap. PhoenixNap let us down. I and our outsourced support team have been arguing with them all day. Long story short (for those who know this crap): they tried to claim the DNS server (BIND) on our server was the cause of a flood of outbound traffic that filled up our pipe. This after their support team said they don't do DDoS protection... but... um... securedservers.com... -- or, that they only do null-routes, or, that not all DDoS protection is reliable, or, that sometimes it can be tricky. Here's the problem, we're not running DNS/bind on our server. They seem to be completely clueless. So I had to spring for another big chunk of cash to initiate a high-tier of DDoS protection from a third party provider -- essentially everything PhoenixNAP said they would provide for us... and are currently charging us for it. More as I know it.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

First I was confused.

Then I got all bent and started have'n fits.

The Wife the boy n the dogs were all cowering in one corner
of the house.

Then I started cry'n and our lil puppy was look'n at me and
he started crawl'n towards me and whimpering.

I think I went thru just about every emotion there is.

All of a sudden Bamm, it was on and the smiles returned to everyones faces
the lights started strobbing, ticker tape was fly'n and now

I'm go'in to bed. I'm frick'in beat!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

F5f5f5f5f5f5 that was me all day .....

Sleep well !

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

dbl post

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I wouldn't want your job here. I'd have screaming fits with those people lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I wouldn't want your job here. I'd have screaming fits with those people lol.

Look , The Overlord has a secret weapon that he uses to keep his cool...

Pugs.... yes Pugs... Don't ask me how but the little critters work for him ....

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Man I slept through the whole thing...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Yep. He has those pugs. Also the death ray. Okay, maybe not the death ray but it would be cool.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I wrote in the would you rather thread..

Would you rather ATS be gone forever, or
No more movies ever get made..

the answer was no more movies ever get made..
I hope I wasn't tempting fate.
In the absence I again realized how much ATS means to me..
I would seriously go through depression if this site wasn't coming back.

It means a lot to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

It does to me, too. I think I'd go nuts from boredom.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services.

It's quite impossible to protect yourself against a DDoS attack. So, I'm not sure what you were buying from your provider, but if they told you they could protect you against a DDoS attack they were lying. They could have some mitigating tactics in place, e.g. a smart load balancer or an IDS, but even these only offer limited protection against such attacks. In some cases I've seen succesful defeats of a simple TCP SYN attack - but If your attacker mimics regular http traffic and uses a botnet that runs on thousands of (mostly Windows) PC's you can't possibly tell the difference between 'regular' and attacker traffic. Overprovisioning (enormeous bandwidths) may help but if you're being attacked by a huge botnet, they can fill up your bandwidth nevertheless. Another solution is the combination of firewalls and client IP registration, but you'd need a pretty big pipe and a pretty big IDS. Also, many of your regulars may use WiFi networks everywhere, so their IP addresses may change from session to session. Which also may happen spontaneously, as some ISP's don't use per-client static IP addresses.

Bind does not spontaneously generate floods of answers to non-existing queries, to the best of my knowledge, so even if you had a bind server on your server I can't imagine it caused this without being provoked. And - might I add - the ISP would have noticed the stream of data originating from your server and would have warned you to shut down your (presumable "illegal") DNS service.

All in all, they were good in at least ONE thing: stealing your money. Sorry mate, you're being screwed.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services. We picked PhoenixNap for their stated ability to isolate us from attacks, and build highly customized servers. The transition wasn't cheap.

PhoenixNap let us down. I and our outsourced support team have been arguing with them all day. Long story short (for those who know this crap): they tried to claim the DNS server (BIND) on our server was the cause of a flood of outbound traffic that filled up our pipe. This after their support team said they don't do DDoS protection... but... um... securedservers.com... -- or, that they only do null-routes, or, that not all DDoS protection is reliable, or, that sometimes it can be tricky.

Here's the problem, we're not running DNS/bind on our server. They seem to be completely clueless.

So I had to spring for another big chunk of cash to initiate a high-tier of DDoS protection from a third party provider -- essentially everything PhoenixNAP said they would provide for us... and are currently charging us for it.

More as I know it.

lol, talk about next level B.S.

You should sue them.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I'm not saying I was one of those people..... But, it's aliens.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Good Lord it was AWEFUL!!!

......altho got a lot of chores done I'd been putting off....
HATE when that happens.....I was news blind! AUGH!!!!!
resisted the urge to beat my F5 key & keyboard, but DAMN!

Glad ATS is back and I'm no longer going thru withdrawals....

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Thanks for the support my man.

Glad I could (sorta) help you!
It's not like I knew much, but at least we stuck together.

originally posted by: chelsdh

I'm not saying I was one of those people..... But, it's aliens.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Mongrel is an apt descriptor for these dweebs.

Springer can some of your pals at the CIA track down these jerkwads ya know for a training exercise? Or is that SO's forte? Im sure it would be good practice lol.

And tall need to sue the provider for lying to you and make them pay for a move.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join