It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS are you ok fella ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Remember went you paid for a service and they DIDN'T try to snake out of it, they JUST DID THEIR JOB?
You'd think someone from Anonymous would step up...
edit on 6-8-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Bumping for the Overlord again

SkepticOverlord

So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services. We picked PhoenixNap for their stated ability to isolate us from attacks, and build highly customized servers. The transition wasn't cheap. PhoenixNap let us down. I and our outsourced support team have been arguing with them all day. Long story short (for those who know this crap): they tried to claim the DNS server (BIND) on our server was the cause of a flood of outbound traffic that filled up our pipe. This after their support team said they don't do DDoS protection... but... um... securedservers.com... -- or, that they only do null-routes, or, that not all DDoS protection is reliable, or, that sometimes it can be tricky. Here's the problem, we're not running DNS/bind on our server. They seem to be completely clueless. So I had to spring for another big chunk of cash to initiate a high-tier of DDoS protection from a third party provider -- essentially everything PhoenixNAP said they would provide for us... and are currently charging us for it. More as I know it.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: LukeDAP

Thanks for the support my man.

Glad I could (sorta) help you!
It's not like I knew much, but at least we stuck together.

originally posted by: chelsdh
a reply to: LukeDAP

I'm not saying I was one of those people..... But, it's aliens.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: pl3bscheese

It was a UDP flood in excess of 1Gbps... from hundreds of different IPs.

Classical botnet attack. Heads up: your ISP does say it can protect you against that. As you have seen, they were lying. What can be done (and often is done) is drop UDP packets destined for a certain IP address, but untll dropped, the traffic still clogs the lines. Also, you'll need quite an impressive firewall that is capable of inspecting a lot of headers in (quasi) real time.

If you have a lot of money and keeping your site up is very important to you, you may choose to host your site using multiple providers, combined with round robin DNS, load balancers and packet inspecting firewalls or similar techniques. As some cracker-botnets consists of up to a few MILLION (!) clients you are never safe.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Would you be able to sue for breach of contract? I assume you have a written contract with PhoenixNap. If there were things in that contract they said they would do, it should be considered binding, and you should be able to file a lawsuit.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join