It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS are you ok fella ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
So uhm. Who are the people I replied to on isitdown?

me i was the first to reply to you

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services. We picked PhoenixNap for their stated ability to isolate us from attacks, and build highly customized servers. The transition wasn't cheap.

PhoenixNap let us down. I and our outsourced support team have been arguing with them all day. Long story short (for those who know this crap): they tried to claim the DNS server (BIND) on our server was the cause of a flood of outbound traffic that filled up our pipe. This after their support team said they don't do DDoS protection... but... um... securedservers.com... -- or, that they only do null-routes, or, that not all DDoS protection is reliable, or, that sometimes it can be tricky.

Here's the problem, we're not running DNS/bind on our server. They seem to be completely clueless.

So I had to spring for another big chunk of cash to initiate a high-tier of DDoS protection from a third party provider -- essentially everything PhoenixNAP said they would provide for us... and are currently charging us for it.

More as I know it.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

No worries Overlord , are you guys in need of donations again?

if so I have no issues donating ! Just let us know!

Kap

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I saw you both...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

That sucks, sorry to hear, but running a site like you already know is a learning process. Good luck to you and thank you for such an awesome experience for almost a decade for myself.

Also please stay away from Cloudflare, it's just going to let you down as well.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Testing...testing 1, 2 ...

Now I feel like I need to drop some freestyle...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Cloudflare is not something I'd ever consider.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

There's a legal term for that. It's called "false advertising." So what services DID they provide? Just validate that the attackers have a legit ISP? Seriously.

Give them the old fashioned Bill-Hellfire. Scared the crap out of plenty of others in the past.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, SO! I was worried when I saw it happening again. Now at least its a lot clearer what is going on...

I appreciate you posting the link to this thread in the other Board Business one, as I had not seen this yet!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm getting a surge of euphoria and great relief, just by clicking on the myATS link, its actually getting me somewhere now.

I'm lovin it.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'd be ticked if DDOS wasn't covered as advertised, but am used to a hosting provider saying one thing then folding into a bunch of nonsense when it comes down to a real world need of a service. You pay big monies for top notch managed service, and I've never been willing to dish it out. If you were, then I'd be raising hell cause that's the whole point of paying so much, to have rapid response, few issues, and genuine answers for faults.

A decent sys admin should be able to do some things for free, thou. A basic network monitoring tool can identify the port being flooded and the source IP. From there you can shut the port, else blacklist the IP. If it was even an issue with bind then it would be port 53, might want to call their bluff and ask for the details of the attack, which port it was on.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
All I can say is that I'm glad to see ATS working again. I barely post, but I still need to check the threads daily. Today wasn't an easy day for us...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

It was a UDP flood in excess of 1Gbps... from hundreds of different IPs.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Charlieeeeeeeeeee!!!! I was wondering why Hi Charlie was there lol. Now I know! It was you buddy ol' pal!

I wish I could donate, I really do - but finances are tight until February... even then... oyyy.

That company that said they'd provide the service and then didn't and then say that they don't... well... karma
is all I will say. Meanie heads.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

That sounds like the IPs were spoofed else a botnet. Ouch.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I never realised how much I pop in to the recent topics list until I couldn't. Felt like a bit of a junkie when I couldn't for awhile there!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bkaust

I know, right?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
So... a few months back we utilized a good portion of the PayPal donations to research and fund a rather significant redeployment of the entire ATS infrastructure to a hosting provider that offered a well-rounded list of integrated DDoS protection services. We picked PhoenixNap for their stated ability to isolate us from attacks, and build highly customized servers. The transition wasn't cheap.

PhoenixNap let us down. I and our outsourced support team have been arguing with them all day. Long story short (for those who know this crap): they tried to claim the DNS server (BIND) on our server was the cause of a flood of outbound traffic that filled up our pipe. This after their support team said they don't do DDoS protection... but... um... securedservers.com... -- or, that they only do null-routes, or, that not all DDoS protection is reliable, or, that sometimes it can be tricky.

Here's the problem, we're not running DNS/bind on our server. They seem to be completely clueless.

So I had to spring for another big chunk of cash to initiate a high-tier of DDoS protection from a third party provider -- essentially everything PhoenixNAP said they would provide for us... and are currently charging us for it.

More as I know it.

There are always alternatives.

I use BL and they are the real deal.

www.blacklotus.net...

edit on 6-8-2015 by Digital_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Glad to see ATS is back up!
The last couple of times I managed to get onto a page and try to respond, I could get as far as the reply button but once I hit it, it would time out.

*hits reply button*

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Do you know where the attacks are coming from? Is this government or another country or just hackers or what?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join