It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With all the talk of firearms, what about other arms? Guns, swords, long knives, spears, ect?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

In all references to "arms", there are no descriptive qualifiers or limitations.

Arms are just that, arms.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-James Madison
edit on 1-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

And yet the second amendment seems to never apply to non guns

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

And yet the second amendment seems to never apply to non guns

It isn't widely understood but, it is constitutional law.

Any state or local ordinances which infringe upon that right are by definition unconstitutional.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Yet they get away with it anyway, and no one cares enough to fight it, cause it's all about them guns.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I think we do fight it and Kansas and Maine passing concealed carry without permit is an indication to me that the tide is shifting.

Once people get the concept of defense of person and property, they don't forget so we just have to remind people.

Thanks for your contribution!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Right but that applies to guns, not other weapons. Guns are still the exception while everything else is prohibited basically period.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

And you are fighting along with the rest of us.

If you want, you can work within your own sphere of influence to fight new legislation or even legally challenge unconstitutional laws that you see.

I actually tend to believe that these micro-managing bureaucratic feel good/ass covering anti-defense ordinances push the issue into the minds of those who otherwise mightn't normally be directly affected by 2nd amendment infringement.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Mugly

Yeah it's an odd hypocrisy the laws we have. I don't care for guns myself. Too easy for accidents to occur in my opinion.

I've been around guns since I was 6 years old.

I've cut myself plenty of times by accident with knives, machetes, scissors, tuna can lids, etc. but I've never had an accident with a firearm.

You are greatly overestimating the accident risk. Nearly all "accidents" with firearms are due to negligence. Only in extremely rare circumstances do they "just go off."
edit on 8/1/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've never been comfortable with a gun. It doesn't feel like an extension of the self, even a purse feels more comfortable to me than a gun, or a bow. Crossbows are in a lot of ways in the gun category to me as well. It's the triggering mechanism, too much chance of misfire for my tastes.

Whereas bows and melee weapons act as actual extensions of ones own body. I'd rather a chair leg then a gun, or even throwing a lamp, or grabbing a frying pan. I like control, and for me guns feel a bit uncontrolled, not to mention very impersonal. Is so easy to just point and click and bam, somebodies dead.

That said, I'm not anti-guns myself personally, I just don't like that, if I want a real weapon for self defense, if I'm not willing to use a gun, I'm mostly regulated to whatever happens to be around me, as I can't legally carry anything else.

Well I'm not comfortable with a gun, and mace is a joke, and a taser is like a lesser gun, and like the mace, often ineffective, and making a lot of noise is ineffective in a world where people look away and mind their own business.

I know the idea of a girl with a bow, or a sword or spear sounds kind of silly, but you'd be surprised how effective these things can be... ultimately, don't like guns is all... Yes am aware guns are usually deadlier/more effective til you get in melee range, but one needs to be comfortable with the weapon they put their life in the hands of.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

My fear is accidentally killing someone else, not cutting myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Very true, if someone attacks me, for example I plan on stabbing them in the eye with one of the many ecigs I always have on me (if I get the chance) and I have a couple mods that would work very well as a club too

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I knew of a Dojo Master who shoved a tiny Nerf ball into some guys windpipe when challenged with the "harmless toy". The foam ball cut off the dudes oxygen supply long enough for the Master to make his point. He then gave the guy the Heimlich Maneuver and sent him embarrassed back to the sidelines for further instruction without being interrupted.

It's not a game out there for some folks.

Read this and I laughed n laughed ! Made me wonder if I could of choked my idiot brother with a little green army man years ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
personally I think its because it's too easy to simply walk around with a knife or stick and hurt people. with a gun at least there is some degree or safety. background checks, ammo availability ect... anybody can pick up a stick or knife and go on a pretty devastating rampage. it's the last thing the powers that be want the population to realize. that there are powerful tools at their disposal. get people to not even think along those lines and you have a more manageable population thats easier to control.

if people want to understand and get competent with a traditional weapon look no further than a inch thick, 20-26 inch long simple wooden or cane stick.

it's the ultimate weapon out if the traditional weapons in my opinion. first its pretty versatile in both its applications to the degree of force that you can project with it. plus its got a pretty decent range. a stick can be used like a third jujitsu arm and restrain, lock up or choke an opponent. it can be used to disarm an opponent. it can be used to break bones. I don't think people realize just how much force a stick can generate on impact. plently to kill on impact if struck in the head. sticks are also very, very fast. faster than a boxers jab could ever hope to be.

but all of those above reasons are crap to the real reason a stick is the ultimate traditional weapon. it's a gateway weapon.

because the stick basically teaches you proper grip, wrist and elbow articulation, body ergonomics, angles of attack and defense, and foot work (most importatant).

a stick is a placeholder for any weapon that you use with a single hand. if you can learn to use a stick well then you have ready learned how to use a short sword, rapier, machete, dagger, knife, and much more and just don't know it yet. practice a basic routine to develop your carenza (flow and weapon handeling) for a stick for about a month. put down stick and pick up machete (a balanced one) or a short sword whether it be a gladius, a Spanish sword, or a talibong and do the exact same moves and be amazed as you realize you can out swashbuckle any pirate in any Hollywood movie scene.

when you realize the connection between the stick and the sword you begin to understand all the little details of a sword and what the various parts are intended to be there for. why is there a bit of sharp end or blade on the back side of a short swords tip? it's not there to make stabbing easier but to open up an entire range or techniques that focus on utilizing the back hand motion of the wrist (like when you throw a frisbee). takes a wrist articulation and disposition of a weapon that's primarily used as a defensive warding motion and weaponizes it.

wanna get a universal understanding of most traditional weapons learn the stick first.

for those Interested in basic traditional weapons handeling look no further than south east asian systems. primarily philippino martial arts of escrina, arnis, kali or the indo malay arts of silat/silek.

a good system that's systematic and well organized that teaches a good overview of swords and sticks and knives is Docepares.
DocePares started when several grandmasters of philippino martial arts got together and created a hybrid of all there systems. some masters where experts at European swordfighting from the Spanish colony days. others of Chinese sword systems from the local traders residing in the port towns. another an expert on the indigenous knife and machete techniques of the inhabitants of the local jungles of the Philippines and indonesia. others had family systems handed down from when ancient India controlled the region. some even had Persian sword technique represented. they put em all together and created a system.

when I look at say their very first routine or Kata I see Spanish sword techniques being drilled. primarily arco, and media. and basic advance and retreat footwork. it may look silly but these are fundamental single hand sword techniques drilled via stick.

m.youtube.com...

shortened version of same beginners routine

m.youtube.com...

this is the video to watch if you have any serious interest in traditional weapons.
extremely interesting and informative demonstration at the Smithsonian on traditional philippino weapons by Danny inosanto. seriously impressive demostration.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: man auto correct can really butcher written language

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I have been having problems with my knee lately... Maybe I need a good cane

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: cprnicus

yeah sounds like something master Ken would teach.

hilarious guest instruction given by master ken of the ameri do te system

m.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Just lean on it occasionally.

I've a friend who has the niftiest little sword-cane, he made himself. He's got mad skills as a wood carver. The blade is about fifteen inches long (more a cane-knife, I guess.), and slightly beyond merely sharp.

The cane itself is wax-wood. It's actually very cool looking, I'm after him to make me one...I remain hopeful.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

a cane can be your best friend and an assailants worst nightmare. I say learn to give it a good swing.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I have a waxwood staff. waxwood is excellent because its flexible, dense and very resiliant. yet its a soft comfortable to work with wood when in your hands.

waxwood supplies so much torque and whip like energy at the end of its delivery. can be deveststing. plus your buddies comes with a dagger in it. pretty versatile.

same systems espada y dagga. sword and dagger routine.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think that if you title them as follows, they can be outlawed:

Assault spear
Assault Rock
Assault Dagger
Assault Sword
Assault Spiked Flail
Assault Boot Knife
Assault Lead Pipe
Assault Candle Stick
Assault Rope
Assault Fist

.......I think that will get them banned almost immediately or at the very least it will get a outrage cry on Twitter or some other Social Media Disaster App

Almost forgot....add a rebel flag picture to them as well and you will surely save the country and the world.
edit on 1-8-2015 by wdkirk because: had to add "rebel flag"

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Sword cane sounds neat!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join