It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With all the talk of firearms, what about other arms? Guns, swords, long knives, spears, ect?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

what about "a salt shaker?" is the phonetics enough for banning?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That's the reason he made it. He's been a martial artist since he was a child in Hong Kong. He knew Ip Man, didn't study with him, but knew him when he was a child.

I can't remember which of the chinese martial arts he's studied, two or three. He loves his cane, and you should see him train with it...blows my mind every time. His wife is even better--good thing she's utterly gentle, 'cause she's like mercury on speed...lethal.

It's unfortunate that they don't teach. All that skill, and knowledge...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah would love to learn. I'm pretty natural with how to use things as weapons. I never forget that every body part is a potential weapon, nor my surroundings.

Like knife fighters, a bad knife fighter gets a knife and forgets his body, a good knife fighter knows that the knife is just as effective as a distraction for the rest of his body as it is an actual weapon itself.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: wdkirk

what about "a salt shaker?" is the phonetics enough for banning?

An Assault Salt Shaker would clearly be banned however the innocent a salt shaker would pass inspection.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

very good and accurate point.

once you understand how a knife works or a stick your hands doing the exact same movements as they would but empty handed work exceptionally well. best part is,the empty hand is both ergononic, anatomically superior and natural all working off of natural human responses and flinches. easy to learn natural to use

this guy is a little intense but here's Tim waid teaching philippino recon marines and attached US special forces ODA the same principle that the techniques for a knife are exactly the same as the empty hand. the hand its self acts like the blade.

fastforward to the 4:40 mark.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

uh... link?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

could have been a family systen or hybrid.

Hong Kong and the pearl river area of southern China has a massive diversity of arts represented. the area was a trade hub for merchants in the south seas. so they recieved/ exchanged south east asian weapons arts from the traders/sailors at the ports.

hakka arts handed down from the remenants of the Ming dynasty elite warriors. their techniques are heavily influenced from Indian and Persian arts. they recieved traditional shaolin arts that originated from the yellow river basin around Xian. so could be any one of those three or a mixture of all of them.
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

sorry bout that.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

So I've learned over the years...

The hard way, unfortunately. It only takes a few slices, and stabs to learn though...

Pain, as they say, is a wonderful teacher.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Thanks, neat!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

a little more detailed video from the same guy on the subject of empty hands

m.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

very true. my old teacher would bitch slap me in the face every time I dropped my hands in sparring with him. I learned real quick no matter how tired or distracted I'm to never compromise your guard, never let your hands drop or allow your shoulders to sprawl and decompress the scapula.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Could very well be.

It's the right region, anyway. I've never been able to learn why neither of them will teach anyone. They didn't have any children, which in and of itself is a shame, 'cause they're such wonderful people. Wicked good cooks...oh, my.

They moved here when I was still in school, Jr. High, I think... This town was, unfortunately, rather unkind to strangers, especially strangers whose command of English wasn't the greatest. I met them after word began to circulate that these were not people to mess with...and you shouldn't anyway because they're really nice folks. I was their paper-boy.

She's an ardent Buddhist. He's, shall we say, not. It's an odd mix, but they make it work. Wonderful people.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I understand why they may not want to teach the art. it's fairly common. not because they are being secretive but because Iuts not a major focus in their life and even though they arecskilked at it doesn't mean they want to take the time to teach it or explain it to others. teaching whether it be martial arts or school children math is exhausting. may not be what they signed up for in life.

since you like the stick/sword and dagger your friend has. here's the same guy showing application and drills for espada y dagga.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm not a hundred percent sure everyone fully understood what I meant by forget your body. I meant that bad knife fighters people become like a dog once they get a knife in their hand. They stop having a full body of weapons, and only think of their knife. Another mistake is, when fighting a skilled knife fighter is to see only the knife and forget the rest of their body.

If you notice an opponent focusing too much on your knife, it will function very well for you as a distraction for the rest of your body to strike than as a weapon itself.

Another mistake people make is, if they or their opponent drop the knife, to spend their time trying to get it. Don't. Ignore it. Keep track of it of course, but forget about trying to get it. If your opponent is dumb enough to drop everything to try and get it, go pure offensive cause the opening you just gained is huge, and you can quite possibly end the fight right now.

Main point is always focus on attack/defense, be aware of your surroundings, how they might be used, and never be distracted by anything to inconvenient to access. No matter what you or your opponents weapon, remember, it's only one of a world and body of tools around.

Another trick I've learned, never be afraid to look crazy, do unpredictable things, act a bit nuts. If your opponent doesn't know what to make of you, then it will be harder for them to predict you, as well as be certain of themselves. Half a fight is psychological. If you can throw your opponent off their game, even if they're a superior fighter by skill, it still might be enough to turn the fight in your favor.

Well that's how I look at combat anyway.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

also I once studied martial arts under a Buddhist shaolin and he very rarely taught application of the techniques. was more interested in teaching us chi gong and meditation to heal and better ourselves. he did teach us traditional shaolin chuan fa but would only teach applications to ibdindividuals once he got a real good feel for their personality. the guy could see right through you and figure you out in two seconds. no applications until he trusted you.

the applications wherever demonstrated where brutal and vicious btw. but due to his Buddhist vows he wasn't going to teach them to just anybody. you'd learn the movement's and get super healthy doing them like yoga all the while being ignorant of the true nature and applications of the movements. I always thought that was pretty classy.

but i still fell in love with the no nonsense of the south east asian arts and switched to kali/silat Instead after a while.
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

You're probably right. They prefer to do their gardening, and cooking. They owned a really small restaurant for many years before they retired...as I said, wicked good cooks/chefs. She always thought I was too skinny.

I'm remembering some conversations that took place a long time ago... I suspect that your hypothesis of a family system may be the right one...not positive, 'cause I'm not knowledgeable enough to make the connections.

His is, anyway. Hers is, I'm virtually positive, Wing Chun. But, again, I'm not knowledgable enough to be 100% positive.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

They stop having a full body of weapons, and only think of their knife. Another mistake is, when fighting a skilled knife fighter is to see only the knife and forget the rest of their body.

Too true. I was, notice the tense I use, guilty of that once. Got twenty stitches as a direct result of forgetting his off hand with the knucks attached. To this day, I'm amazed I walked away from that one...I was so overmatched.

Never made that mistake again, let me tell you...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

what made you think her art is wing chun? it's likely as its a common art over in Hong kong. they knew yip man and it works really well fir women.

however wi g chun has parent arts it evolved out of. so several of her movement's coukd have been from several arts in that area. possibly bak mei, lung ying, chu gar, southern mantis, li gar, mok gar. maybe even some white crane family system hybrids. all of the above arts stem from the same DNA pool wing chun came from.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ahh ok, got you now. There was some info missing in your post that confused me is all.

I'm weird I think a lot about this stuff. Like dealing with animal attacks, ect. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or have a dark violent side hidden... I'm a pretty peaceful person, I hate actual violence. I'm very much a forgive and forget kind of person.

Yet this stuff has a strange fascination for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join