It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Those losers can actually afford to purchase one of the services my small business provides now or get some work done on their car or house helping out the local economy mode.

What nonsense.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

dont know.
i dont have those answers but i do know it is never going to happen.

small percentages of people will go out and gain some skills and try to do better.
the majority will sit back and bitch and complain and just collect what is given to them.

that has been shown.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Before we colonize space, we have to be able to manufacture spacecraft in orbit.

That said, we need space stations and space docks that are manufacturing capable. That would be an incredible job source that would never dry up.

To have those things we need a space elevator, so then larger loads can be orbited for a fraction of the price .

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
not gonna post a bunch of links cause people wont read them but i just went on baltimore craigslist at random.
looked at general labor and manufacturing jobs.

lots of stuff available.
one of the first fee listings was for warehouse work.
fast paced. must pass drug test.
1st and 2nd shift.
12.90 an hour.

lots of other stuff.

last week i looked at a city in kansas at random. all kinds of jobs available.

the work is there...
so, if the work is there why are people not employed?

let me guess. lots of reasons and none of them are about personal responsibility?

keep in with the drama

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Mawiss

Why don't you want your waitress to make more money?

Quite simple really, how much do you want your average college graduate with a BS degree make?

www.payscale.com...=Bachelor's_Degree/Salary

Look at that chart, and tell me you are not crazy for asking that question.

We have Engineers, Operation Managers making $50k to $100k a year. You want a table buster to make $80,000/annually?

Why in the ass would anyone, ever take a 8 year college/university course to become an Engineer in the future? What is the freaking point? Why not just all go work for your local fast food chain and make a comfortable $80k a year?

Unless they raise EVERYONE's pay rates, put the tiers back in, this is simply absurd.

Let me repeat this back to you, so I can make sure we are all on the same page here. What you want to see, is for a person with a High School Diploma or an GED, to make the same amount of money or even more, than an Engineer or C Level executive that busted their ass in school?

Am I taking drugs or something, or is this society going straight to the #ters?

Um....
$15 an hour 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year is $30,000.

You can't do simple math, but think you deserve more than folks that can count?

That is the funniest thing I have seen all week.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

this is the real world. not some fantasy.

And I always thought the world was what we make of it...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

originally posted by: Punisher75
a reply to: EternalSolace

Correct it would basically be like walking into Walmart with a handful of gravel and saying, what can I get for this.

yeah, i guess.
i cant buy as much at wal mart for $100 than i could 20 years ago.
thing is, i have more $100's than i did 20 years ago so i really feel no sting.

But the majority of folks don't.

In fact buying power has declined dramatically over the last 4 decades.

In 1970, a guy working full time at McDonalds could buy a home, could buy a new car, and could support his family without welfare.

See the difference?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: Punisher75

i think it would be worth $100
i dont understand

Purchasing power does not equal face value. Look beyond money alone and view it in terms of tangible goods. A STRONG dollar benefitting from a degree of scarcity can purchase 10 gumballs. Now instead of printing 1,000,000 dollar bills, the Fed opts to print 2.5 million to boost inflation (the government, in it's infinite wisdom, has dubbed robust inflation as a measure of a good economy) assuming the supply of gumballs remains stagnant, the price of the gumballs will go up because the dollar's purchasing power has gone down (there's 2 and half times as many dollars as there should be). Your $1 is now worth only 4 gumballs!!!

This is where the insanity of the government kicks in the propaganda machine... Rather than stating the purchasing power of the dollar has gone down, the government will state that the price/value of the gumballs has gone up! Yay! GROWTH! In reality it just gobsmacked anyone not wealthy enough to hold their wealth in tangible assets, stocks, land, etc. Schlubs like you and I, who have our money in savings accounts or live paycheck to paycheck see zero benefit and only have to deal with a weekly grocery bill that keeps going higher and higher to cover the inflationary loss in the dollar's purchasing power.

Spot on, this is the exact problem, and the QE3 printing from the fed has dramatically cut value from even 2008 standards.

Only the wealthy profit from the fed printing money

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
lol this thread got huge. Greedu people suck. that is all/

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah, that's my fault. :-/ I kind of cut loose a bit.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

the work is there...

Because you forgot one very important factor...

For every job that's posted there's at least 100 job applicants fighting for it.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Boom!

lol

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

That's what people don't seem to understand. The actual job market is shrinking at an exponential rate. The jobs that once held up the middle class thirty years ago aren't there. Couple that with the rise in automation, and even more job are poised to be lost in the next thirty years. Our current way of doing things is not going to work forever.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

There was a job in Kansas everyone is fine.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

I'm about to go off topic from my OP, but I think we're already so far off topic, it doesn't matter at this point.

When I hear about how one person is worth so much more than someone else, and one person shouldn't have to work as hard as this person, and I do this and this and that person only does this I should make more, it makes me sick.

That entire argument boils down to vanity, greed, and sheer apathy towards others.

I don't care whether you're a Mcdonalds fry cook, or the world's best neurosurgeon, you're still a human. And every damn one of us should be afforded the means to own property and a home, and put enough food in it to take care of a family.

No, we all don't need 55" curved LED TV's, or five million dollar yachts, or a $500,000 dollar home, or a $30,000 dollar car. If you want all that stuff, sure be a doctor or an engineer, or a machinest.

But come on people, are we really that full of ourselves to where people have to make the choice to pay rent or buy food, or let the electricity get cut off?

We're past that point as a civilization. What we aren't past, is our damn incessant need to have more than everyone else.

I couldn't agree more, every one of these jobs are essential to society as a whole.

Yes a doctor should make more than a gas station attendant , but the gas station attendant should still be able to live a decent life, because without him, the doctor couldn't even make it to work in the first place.

All these jobs are cogs in the machine that is civilization.

Sure some are not as important as others, but the whole thing breaks down without them performing their role.

This isn't even that hard to understand, and yet.....

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Those losers can actually afford to purchase one of the services my small business provides now or get some work done on their car or house helping out the local economy mode.

What nonsense.

I agree, it isn't like more people having disposable income makes an economy grow, I mean economies are always best when the fewest people possible control all the money.....

Oh wait, that is called feudalism, and is has been proven to suck a lot, all the time, in every instance it was used.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

edit on 7/31/2015 by EternalSolace because: removed for being too crass

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I didn't thhink Id agree with you ever... ha.

So true!

Lowest on the totem pole holds everyone else up...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

the work is there...

Because you forgot one very important factor...

For every job that's posted there's at least 100 job applicants fighting for it.

I am not an advocate for raising the minimum wage, for reasons I already mentioned, but this is true. Me and my family are are currently in the middle of moving from Florida to Pennsylvania so that I can find work.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

There was a job in Kansas everyone is fine.

more drama.
there were 2 jobs

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join