It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Body, My Organs: If Planned Parenthood Can Sell Body Parts, Why Can’t I?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I found the premise of this article to be quite fascinating.

Even if you don't like where the article came from, it has some legitimate thoughts in the opinion piece.

Wouldn’t the my-body-my-choice motto that abortion activists like to chant be more accurate when it comes to supplying your own body parts, not someone else’s? Who are you to prevent others from profiting off their willingness to help people waiting for organs? Unless organ suppliers are daring enough to venture in to the world’s thriving black market for human body parts, they do not receive the going rates for what their body parts are worth. Currently, a kidney is worth about $10,000. Wouldn’t people be more willing to supply a kidney right now if they or their families could profit from such a transaction?

The ordinary organ suppliers are capable of providing only one organ while they are alive, or they wait until they die and then have their organs harvested and turned over to help individuals on the transplant waiting lists. What is ethical about demanding people hand over their organs for free when they are interested in supplying them? No one would be forced to take money, but undoubtedly most organ suppliers or their families could also be helped by profiting financially. In 2008, National Geographic produced an enlightening documentary on the booming underground industry of human body parts trafficking. If the commerce were made legal, American capitalism would make it more transparent and safer.

Like everything else, human body parts are all about supply and demand. Currently the worldwide demand far exceeds the supply — driving up the black market costs for organs. In the United States alone there are more than 120,000 people on organ transplant waiting lists. Every day nearly 21 people die because the supply of organs is insufficient. This problem would be significantly reduced if our politicians would simply remove the barriers for selling body parts. The same liberals who think Planned Parenthood has done nothing wrong would probably argue that rich people on these waiting lists would have an “unfair” advantage if we put body parts in a free market. But rich people already have an advantage. If they are willing to break the law, they can already buy body parts on the black market.

Furthermore, preventing people from selling their organs does nothing to make poor people less poor or better off in any way. It does, however, kill the people who need an organ today. Meanwhile, the poor on the transplant waiting lists would likely benefit because the price of organs would be more affordable enabling the government, charities, or religious organization to provide for them.

I'm not sure what to think, but found this extremely fascinating.
And the author poses an excellent question for people to ponder.

www.theblaze.com...

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
1 person was caught trying to sell body parts, body parts and abortion arent on the same level of medical treatments needed.

Oh and its an opinion piece not facts, and yes your biased opinion shows.

Thanks for coming out.

Abortion is between a women and her doctor, not that hard to understand.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

You can sell your organs.

Why you would want to...?
edit on 27-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Goodie. We can ALL get Lamborghinis!

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

If you want to sell your organs, you won't see me putting up any barriers to stop you.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

You can sell your organs.

Why you would want to...?

It is illegal in the US to sell your organs or to sell the organs of any human being, except aborted fetuses. They can be donated, but not sold after birth and the first breath.

I just found the article fascinating and interesting.

I said quite clearly I wasn't certain what I think about it, just that it was an interesting premise.
edit on 1Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:18:42 -0500pm72707pmk271 by grandmakdw because: addition

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It is illegal in the U.S. to sell organs of any kind.

What Planned Parenthood was doing wasn't selling organs. The payments they accepted was purely for the safe/sterile transport of tissue to another research institution. The tissue itself was donated, the costs were pure administrative.

That being said, nobody is stopping you from DONATING your organs. If you're a match with a perfect stranger who needs a kidney, you can freely give one to them. However, U.S. law prevents you from SELLING that kidney.

You can also opt-in to organ donation on your ID/Driver License in the event of your death.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
1 person was caught trying to sell body parts, body parts and abortion arent on the same level of medical treatments needed.

Oh and its an opinion piece not facts, and yes your biased opinion shows.

Thanks for coming out.

Abortion is between a women and her doctor, not that hard to understand.

Ok, why then is not selling an organ between the patient and doctor?
It is currently illegal in the US and in most countries.
That is an interesting question if one believes that a person has the right to do whatever they wish with their body.

I actually agree with the author on the point that allowing people to sell the organs of their brain and heart dead relatives would increase the number of available organs and not just benefit the hospital brokers who get rich off of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

lol

10 grand for a kidney

you know markets are always a better price then shops

especially if they are black

I got 15 grand for mine

AND a cookie and sprite .,how good was that

now I am growing my other half of my liver back
I was stupid I lost it to Mr. Drink but soon ... can't wait to go shopping again

edit on 27-7-2015 by refined because: crazies

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Have you seen Repo Men? I feel like you should watch it since you are discussing the idea of legalized selling of body parts.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

It is illegal in the U.S. to sell organs of any kind.

What Planned Parenthood was doing wasn't selling organs. The payments they accepted was purely for the safe/sterile transport of tissue to another research institution. The tissue itself was donated, the costs were pure administrative.

That being said, nobody is stopping you from DONATING your organs. If you're a match with a perfect stranger who needs a kidney, you can freely give one to them. However, U.S. law prevents you from SELLING that kidney.

You can also opt-in to organ donation on your ID/Driver License in the event of your death.

The PP was not for profit? That's not how one purchases a Lamborgini.

Anyway,
if people have the right to their own body to remove tissue at will
then why not make it legal to remove organs and sell them? Making
the sale of tissue removed from one's body between the person
and their doctor, or the person's representative and their doctor.
That is an excellent question.

Another excellent point was that donation falls very short of
the supply needed, would not allowing relatives to sell the organs
themselves rather than a broker who gets rich off the ($10,000 for a kidney)
"cost" of donation. Would that not increase the supply and help end shortages?

I am kind of playing devil's advocate, but at the same time not.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Have you seen Repo Men? I feel like you should watch it since you are discussing the idea of legalized selling of body parts.
I preferred "Repo: The Genetic Opera" to "Repo Men".

Same premise, but in The Genetic Opera you get to see Paris Hilton's face fall off.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Since when has something being illegal stopped someone?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Well THAT is certainly a plus.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Actually, come to think of it, yes I have seen it.
All human activities are perverted by humans in the most obscene ways by fringe elements of society.
Sex, sex slavery which is alive and well, just google it.
Drugs, used to involuntarily sedate people so they can be physically assaulted or robbed
Name the human activity that is legal, and somewhere someone is twisting it obscenely.
So I find this movie to be simply a work of entertainment that may or may not
reflect what might happen. We do not base our laws on movie suggestions I would hope.

But how is the argument that abortion is just a lump of tissue
that one can remove at will,
any different from the argument that organ removal, which is a
lump of tissue in reality, at will be worse than abortion?
The two are equal. Both remove live tissue and both
have the possibility of ending a life. There is no difference morally
that I see between the two, after the 16 week mark of gestation.

How is one, any less moral or objectionable than the other?

Right now in China, there are horrible abuses going on with
abortion, much worse than in the movie about organ selling.
So should we use what is happening in China to say that
abortion can be morally twisted into something heinous
so it can not be allowed in the US. I do not think you would
make that argument. What is happening in China is real
not a movie.

I still am not decided how I feel about it, but find the
discussion to be valid and perhaps important due to the
undersupply of human organs available for transplant.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm just going to redirect you to my original comment in the thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What if it WAS legal. Imagine you owe 50k or a 100k or he'll maybe 10k.. The credit card company could say Mr. 6pack a man need that kidney.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
If Planned Parenthood Can Sell Body Parts, Why Can’t I?

Planned Parenthood doesn't sell body parts. If they did, it would be illegal, just as it is for anyone else.

That's not how one purchases a Lamborgini.

No. They did not purchase a Lamborghini.

I am kind of playing devil's advocate, but at the same time not.

You either are or you're not. If, after everything you've had access to, you still believe that PP sells body parts, then own up to it...

And I'm with Krazysh0t. If you want to sell your body, it's YOUR body. I'm not going to stop you.
edit on 7/27/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You can.

It's called being an organ/tissue donor. Usually you can set that up at the DMV when you renew your ID/driver's license.

You can't "sell" your body parts while you're alive though -- that's against the law. If you are pronounced brain dead, you can though.

A fetus that has no brain activity is no different than a coma patient with no electrical brain activity. In both instances the body parts and tissues can be used for medical research.

So if you're against abortion, you should logically be against allowing for a brain dead person to be taken off of breathing machines and their tissues and organs donated.

And if you're a conservative who believes that -- who's going to keep paying for that brain dead person in the hospital? How are we going to fit all these people?
edit on 27-7-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Let us take a look at our neighbors to the south.

Cartel member accused of kidnapping children to harvest their organs is captured in Mexico

I wonder if the fact that abortion being illegal there has anything to do with how the children get treated. It almost looks like they are trying to get rid of them by sending them across the borders to the US or using them as a commodity.

And here I thought people said countries that ban abortion were of higher moral fiber.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join