It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to move a 20 ton piece of debris from fuel pool at Fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
blogs.wsj.com...

The latest challenge at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is to remove a 20-ton piece of debris from a pool holding over 500 spent fuel rods.

Not much news comes out of Fukushima these days.

Here's fingers crossed that all goes well. All 17 of them...on one hand.
edit on R192015-07-27T09:19:54-05:00k197Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R452015-07-27T09:45:42-05:00k457Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

The object is what remains of a fuel handling machine originally located above the surface of the water. The debris is preventing Tepco from removing the spent fuel rods to a safer location. It is the largest object requiring removal inside the power plant’s reactor No. 3, according to the company.

Sounds like they're getting set to remove the old crane that moved fuel rods between the reactor and pool.

The biggest danger will be accidentally dropping it into the pool itself or causing a breach to the pool walls or gate that could result in reduction of water levels in the pool.

Then you have exposure of fuel rods, reheating, re-criticality…

careful guys…

Images of cranes, (the big green things)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Thanks for the update, Fukushima, the ocean killer. My personal belief is that it's the reason for the problems in the Pacific Ocean, the giant warm blob that won't go away.

This article was from last September, but we are again having unprecedented record breaking temperatures in the PNW.

optimalprediction.com...

More about Fukushima radiation, the gift that keeps on giving.

enenews.com... itude-greater-official-estimates-completely-picture-serious-public

I feel so sorry for the people of Japan, let alone us and the rest of the world. I guess people on the west coast are more aware of what is happening. Because we are starting to see what is happening to the Pacific Ocean first hand.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I find this situation with Fukushima very frightening. Sure hope they can remove the debris safely and not cause more trouble.

VB

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Do you suppose they think that those fuel racks are all nicely intact, separated as normal and not twisted and broken, having dropped most of their pulverized fuel material into the bottom? Surely, their aerial images should be quite clear about what awaits them in that pool

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Makes you wonder how many near extinction events humanity can survive in the coming years.. global warming, Fukushima...
Sea level is predicted to rise 10 feet in the next 50-100 years New York City underwater. No Californ-i-a, or food in the bread basket of the world. Californian populations moving east. Relocate tens of millions of coastal Atlantic refugees as well.
No North Pole, and gee, we are in the middle of the sixth largest mass extinction in Earths history. Is it just politics? or is it D-O-O-M ? Time to buy a bigger mercedes SUV and more guns n ammo, so you can go out with a bang, Bang! Bang!.
Greed and fear, what's not to love?
edit on 27-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

We will never know the full truth... Tepco isn't known for being very truthful.

To me, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is the vent stack behind units 1 & 2. That thing is very unstable, and it has some of the highest readings taken.... if it falls and releases what is inside it, it would irradiate the whole area around the plant (even more than it is now) making it deadly to go near.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Considering what they've done so far and how trustworthy they are

They will just dump whatever they pull out into the ocean

ShortN

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

My mom and little sister were in japan when it happened, Mother was stationed at massawa air base and alot of her unit was used to facilitate evacuations, she told me a lot of stuff that never made the news about that. I have no doubt it was way worse than we were told. What is it with japan and terrible luck with anything nuclear?
edit on 27-7-2015 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thank you for the thread. Fukushima is bad, and continues to get much worse. My heart breaks for those already suffering. Their numbers will grow.

Unit 3, already in core meltdown is scary. It was also the reactor loaded with MOX fuel, which has it's own unique Rap sheet of offenses it inflicts when it explodes...which it did.

Unit 3

Horrifying sight and the nuclear fire still rages.

MOX: The Fukushima Word of the Day and Why it’s Bad News
TIME link
The Unit 3 nuclear core also had the extremely high tech radiation sensing cameras from Magna pointed at it. This data and footage should be public.

security cameras installed by the Israeli Magna BSP company are recording events from inside the nuclear plant. 

Magna set up the security system about a year ago at the facility, which suffered extensive damage after the recent earthquake and tsunami. 

The system includes cameras and a warning system that allows the plant's security staff to monitor anyone attempting to trespass onto the site or damage the perimeter fence. 

But Magna's head, Haim Siboni, said the thermal cameras also have the ability to detect the presence of radioactive clouds in the air. "Using these special cameras, we can also identify radioactive clouds, due to the spectrum that our cameras can sense," Magna CEO Haim Siboni told The Jerusalem Post. 

Launched in 2001, Magna is based in the southern Israeli city of Dimona. The defense security company specializes in producing and installing stereoscopic sensory and thermal imaging cameras. Siboni said that his company's cameras were probably not damaged in the quake and tsunami as they were placed high up. 

Theoretically, Magna is able to gain remote access to the cameras at Fukushima. But because the Japanese government has not yet given them the right to do so, Magna has not yet seen the images being recorded there

ATS source

Thanks for the updates in this thread....Much appreciated.
edit on 27-7-2015 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Do you suppose they think that those fuel racks are all nicely intact, separated as normal and not twisted and broken, having dropped most of their pulverized fuel material into the bottom? Surely, their aerial images should be quite clear about what awaits them in that pool
This might be the piece of equipment they are talking about, but due to the damage it's hard to even recognize what it looked like originally:

TEPCO to launch another attempt to remove debris from Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 spent fuel pool

TEPCO has been working to remove the fuel handling machine from the spent fuel pool in parts. Previous attempts to retrieve debris from the spent fuel pool were halted after dislodging debris which fell back into the pool and oil was found to be leaking from some of the parts collected.
So previous attempts to remove it were unsuccessful. I don't like their plan to remove it, which uses only two cranes, because it seems to me they need three cranes for stability.

top topics

join