It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Make BIG Announcement Live on Thursday - Another Earth?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
NASA Big Announcement

It looks like NASA may have found a planet like earth. They will be broadcasting the announcement live on Thursday.

We all know that there have been numerous planets found that could potentially support life. This announcement seems rather different.

I think they may have actually found another Earth! I'm excited to see what they have to say. If this is indeed true, maybe theye is complex life there also

Now it's just the matter of getting there.

Ghost

NASA has had a pretty big month already, but apparently the US space agency's not done yet. The Ames Research Centre team has just revealed that they'll be making a big announcement on Thursday at 4pm UTC (9am PDT on Thursday, or 2am AEST on Friday) about the exoplanet-hunting Kepler mission. And speculation is already running wild that they may be about to announce the discovery of a new Earth-like planet in the habitable zone of a star... in other words, a potential new home for humanity (or prime spot to look for extraterrestiral life). You can watch the announcement live at the bottom of this page.

Obviously let's not get too excited just yet, because we're far from having any concrete confirmation that such an announcement on the cards. But NASA did tease us with their press release. "Exoplanets, especially small Earth-size worlds, belonged within the realm of science fiction just 21 years ago," they announced. "Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years - another Earth."

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Maybe it's the mass relay just beyond cheron!!!

But seriously, I highly doubt it's anything for "normal people" to get excited about. It's more than likely something excited as finding another star

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Wasn't there supposed to be another Earth in the Gliese system? Gliese F or something?

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Yay...another Earth for humanity to destroy.

Great.

s&f

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

NASA found oil on Uranus man

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is the image on the bottom of the link in the OP. It shows the potential Exoplanets that could support life.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quyll
Yay...another Earth for humanity to destroy.

Great.

s&f

Oh, I laughed so hard at your post!
I think the same way.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If anything, I'm betting they're going to be confirming some of the KOIs (Kepler Objects of Interest) I'm just geeky enough to be really excited, some of the KOIs are, speaking in terms of the size of the galaxy, pretty close to home.

originally posted by: In4ormant

NASA found oil on Uranus man

If Uranus is that oily, then maybe -- oh never mind, not going there. Pretty sure I'd be breaking some T& Cs if I finished that sentence.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I know what it is ...

They found evidence of water (again) on Mars!

I'm not holding my breath, NASA hasn't surprised me in YEARS.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: lostbook

This is the image on the bottom of the link in the OP. It shows the potential Exoplanets that could support life.

Does the planet labeled as new say Epic?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I call dibs on the new Hawaii.
If it took 20 years to get there, would you go, just so you could take a leak under an alien tree before you die?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, Ghostrager. I'll look forward to the NASA announcement. Even if they don't announce the discovery of Earth 2, I have a feeling that such an announcement is bound to happen soon.

Now that our instruments are getting powerful enough, I've noticed NASA has been stepping up it's focus on discovering life out there, as well as possible habitable worlds. Can't happen soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. You never know when we may need an escape destination from Earth. There will be some challenging times ahead that may create periods of instability and unrest, as certain technologies advance at break-neck speeds. In order to preserve at least a small contingency of humanity, we need to start looking ahead.

Thanks again for the info...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
I call dibs on the new Hawaii.
If it took 20 years to get there, would you go, just so you could take a leak under an alien tree before you die?

Yes. It'd be a leak for the record books.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I bet its going to be some announcement that will be boring the rest of us 'laymen'. I am already way too bored with space anyways, just let me know when we discover aliens or they open a resort on Mars or something.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Yup. We aren't sapient enough to
be allowed to mingle with any
sane and civilized species which may
or may not exist.

Kev

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I know what it is ...

They found evidence of water (again) on Mars!

not holding my breath, NASA hasn't surprised me in YEARS. [/quote[] Newp

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

edit on 21-7-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

edit on 21-7-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

*Sighs* then the humans when they arrive on the planet would bring the "shock and awe of democracy" to the natives.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I will take the journey with one hundred beautiful women and procreate.

A noble sacrifice to save humanity.

You can thank me later.

"Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years - another Earth."

Statements like that make you feel like a kid on Christmas Eve again. Except NASA has a tendency of putting lead in your stocking and passing it off as a gift. It feels heavy, but underwhelms.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join