It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you own a television?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I don't.

If you own a television,

1st) why?
2nd) is there a good reason to own a television?

Simple question.

Greetz

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yes we own a tv.
We use it watch videos and Netflix. We have no cable connection so mostly it just sits there in the cabinet until we want to "be mindless" as we term it when we watch old episodes of MASH or Rockford Files. My Beloved likes to watch nature documentaries while he goes through his daily exercise regiment also.

Edit to add: I've just been informed that I am wrong in saying that we own a tv. We own a large monitor that we use to watch video through our DVD/VHS machine (Yes, we still have tapes that haven't been transferred to DVD. sigh... )
My Beloved tells me that what I thought was a tv is actually only a monitor since it isn't possible to use it as a tv unless we buy more stuff of some kind to be able to get any actual tv shows. He's the tech guy so I'm again admitting my abject ignorance of things electronic. (Where is that red-faced silly woman icon when you need it?)
edit on 20-7-2015 by diggindirt because: correction

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Danowski

Absolutely not!

is there a good reason to own a television?

Absolutely not!

The world would be a much better place if all televisions were taken out and shot!
edit on 20-7-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Yes, 2.

1. Proxy babysitter (thanks Nickelodeon) and Game of Thrones and Vikings and AFL and Rugby Union and cooking / lifestyle shows.

2. See #1

NB: I also like to give myself a NWO hit every now and again, so I grab beer and popcorn, then sit down and flick through BBC, CNN, MSNBC and Fox - LOL, O'Reilly, you are so the poster-boy for "propaganda".

Cheers

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I do own a television. Cats are so much cuter on a bigger screen than on my phone....

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yep, I got 4. I only use them for gaming, Netflix, and of course football season (Go Hawks). Like the other poster we don't have cable just the free digital channels which is good enough for me.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yes I own a tv, because my brain turned to mush years ago and I don't mind.

That 70s show is on now, the wine I had earlier was nice and one of my dogs fell asleep next to me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I can't think of anyone who doesn't. Our reasoning is obvious: information. All sides, msm and non msm....the exchange of info for emergency-right now-get outta -your house updates.

The world you live in depends on reading, listening and web surfing. The smart move would be to utilyze all forms of media.

We will be running...while you're looking around at the sudden flash going "Wow.What was that?"...

P's you don't have to watch the darn thing..but do you realize how many cable company, sat company etc and billions of sets are owned.

The tiniest, minutest percentage....is you.

You asked
edit on 20-7-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I used to.. It was an HDTV attached by an HDMI cable to my computer.
I played whatever video or music mostly that I wanted without commercials.
It was the music player for all of my parties.. With my crazy speakers attached to my TV of course...

Then crazy girl..

So now...

I have no TV.

My life is the same then as is now, but my music videos play on a computer monitor, and my speakers aren't as good...

I still don't watch Programming.

edit on 20-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Nope, gave it up about 9 years ago. We do have computers, Xbox and a projector. Gaming (mostly live), netflix & youtube are the main source of entertainment along with guitars, basses and electronic drum kit plus playing cards and board games, ipad/IPod, books and a sewing machine. No real need for a TV with its multitude of crappy voice over reality TV make over rubbish, big brother crap, soaps or xfactor contrived nonsense.
Not a decision I have ever regretted.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danowski
I don't.

If you own a television,

1st) why?
2nd) is there a good reason to own a television?

I have a massive TV, but I haven't had "television" in about 10 years (my TV is just connected to a PC). I haven't missed TV at all - I have Netflix, and watch most of the stuff I want online, or via DVD.

The only thing I've ever really missed is sport, and these days you can find that online too.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Awww @ " my beloved".

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

HIGH 5! I have 4 six week old puppies sleeping on my lap, I just finished my nightly hot Chai tea, and am watching Hell on Wheels.

I have 4 TVS but use 2 of them. All the bells and whistles in satelittle, live streaming thru Amazon Fire in one room and Roku II I the other.

Will always have a tv.

Change isn't happening fast in my reality.

My vehicle is a 2001 Mustang GT. Ruby Red and fasssst when I want it to be.

Keeping as long as I can.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I own half a dozen or so. To answer your question

- because my wife and disabled mom like having them around
- to annoy people on their way to the top of some feigned moral superiority soapbox. Same reason i eat Big Macs
edit on 7/20/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have a television because I like film, but I cannot sit and watch cable. I'm not sure how anyone can sit and watch television when there is so much to do, and then at the same time complain how tough life is.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Yes, we have seven. We have them because we like to watch tv. There are plenty of reasons why people own them. It's their choice. I can understand why some people don't want them though.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

1) Heck No
2) can't think of one good reason
Great question
We disconnected 6 yrs ago& have enjoyed not being programable ever since-
With the www,youtube&Netflix who needs reality tv/opinionated,dishonest news presenters/loud ads?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

We own a tv. When the kids lived at home they played games on it.

We're out in the boonies. We have the cheapest direct tv pkg. for weather reports, news, whatever sparks our interests and netflix dvds.

With bandwidth caps, internet usage is limited. Videos, newscasts eats it up pretty quick. It's nice having a tv around.

Some nights it's the hot tub/stars, maybe netflix. Sitting around a campfire is good too and a lot like watching tv. All settled in cozy with loved ones, the glow from the tv. Pretty soon someone gets that glazed look, nods off while others get caught up in the story telling. People eat, visit, live life in social circles, tv can be one of them.

The modern version of primitive man sitting around the campfire just a bit more flashy and the snacks are better.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Nah, no moral superiority here---just cheap. It always chapped my nose that we had to pay for cable tv in the city AND endure the advertisements. I had always preached that we should only have to pay for what we watched---not for the "choice" of any of 250 channels owned by 8-12 corporations.
Until digital tv was introduced we had access to a couple of local stations and public tv. We just never bothered getting into the digital tv age because sooner or later whatever is being broadcast is going to be available on the net---without the endless commercials.
I didn't grow up in a house with a tv. Didn't live with one until I was almost 30 years old. Even then, it was just a tv that would pick up the local PBS station. I've just never really enjoying sitting and watching on a regular basis, too much other stuff to do. I'm a radio person.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

to annoy people on their way to the top of some feigned moral superiority soapbox.

These threads are massive circle jerks, same with the threads where every member apparently grows every single thing they eat in their own yard and hasn't eaten fast food in 20 years.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join