It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you own a television?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
a reply to: Danowski

Absolutely not!

is there a good reason to own a television?

Absolutely not!

The world would be a much better place if all televisions were taken out and shot!

It would be far more therapeutic to bludgeon the TV with something than shooting it. The advent of flat panels has taken any fun out of shooting CRT televisions.

I have a Monitor and a Projector; no TV no cable.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Buy a ham radio; better information from more honest folks.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Yes, because being paranoid about every single thing in existence does bad things to the mind.

it's just television, it's fun and has some great shows.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

to annoy people on their way to the top of some feigned moral superiority soapbox.

These threads are massive circle jerks, same with the threads where every member apparently grows every single thing they eat in their own yard and hasn't eaten fast food in 20 years.

…or maybe the thread attracts more people that do not watch television….

like minds attract.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Good post ! My answer would be that I haven't watched live TV since 2008.
The quality of most TV programmes has really " Dumbed down " ( I prefer to
call it trashy and shallow.) don't miss it at all.

However, I am a film lover, and replaced said TV with a digital projector, screen, and sound system, a true " Home cinema " so to speak.

I find most people refuse to believe I don't have a TV, i'm viewed as being a bit odd, and here in the UK, i get a letter every two years from TV licensing asking if i still don't watch live TV !

I'm expecting a visit from them one day , I've nothing to hide, I'll even show them my huge collection of DVD's.

Interestingly, I live in an area with quite a lot of the " Plymouth Brethren " and I know their belief system forbids TV. I don't blame them, it kills thinking for yourself.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The internet superseded the televison circa 2000. Why watch disinformation when you can interact with it online.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I own 1 television. It's from 2003, a flat panel, not a flat screen. I enjoy watching Walking Dead on it when Walking Dead actually comes on- every other tv show I watch on the internet. Maybe just nostalgia? I also have it so when my mother calls and says "One of your friends is on that local quiz show making a fool of themselves again", I can go and look. LOL

I went down to the lowest amount of cable channels. When my contract is up, I will drop TV service. Dropped home phone from the same company last time.

I can connect my laptop to it, I retrofitted it for chromecast and I bought a projector that I connect to it and watch movies on the ceiling.

edit: I was hanging on to it to watch the Bills and for my housemate to watch the Sabres, but he found a way to watch them live on the net.

edit on 21-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

We have not owned a tv for about 3 years now but do have a 24 inch monitor in the living room hooked up to my PC for watching programmes.

We do not pay for a tv licence on principle and sattelite/cable is expensive for what you get so just use netflix and iplayer.

We got rid of dvd's too as they just take up space and are not needed if you pay £6.99 a month for netflix.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I do own a flat-screen TV. I bought my first TV, an Admiral portable, in 1957, and have owned one ever since. It doesn't bother me, it just sits there until I decide to turn it on. When I don't want to be bothered, I just turn it off! Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
oh yeah.
several monsters in this house.
we watch a lot of tv in this house
better than going out and being around people

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't. Nothing on of any value. I won't pay $100 a month to watch maybe one or two shows that I am only partly interested in. If i really want to watch something, I can get it online.

I pawned my t.v. in 2008 and have never looked back.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

A few years ago I would have agreed but Tv ownership and usage is on the decline here in the UK, so much so that they are looking at re evaluating the current TV licence laws as many are simply no longer watching TV.

The younger generations have phones, laptops and tablets that can all stream entertainment and are portable.

As said earlier we have no "TV" but that does not mean we do not watch shows.

Another bugbear of mine and the reason I chose not to have a tv is that "living rooms" became "tv rooms" all seating points toward the big box that stops you talking or engaging with each other.

Take away the Tv and you find yourselves talking more, reading books, engaging in hobbies ect.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I've been without "cable" or "dish" - or anything that sends signals to a TV from outside the room - since 1997. Got rid of the TV itself about two years ago.

My main complaint with TV is the amount of advertising it spews out. I don't like being the target of a sales pitch.
edit on 21-7-2015 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2015 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Here is my simple question for you...what are the reasons you do not own a TV set?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I own a 32" flat screen tv which I bought 6 years ago. I listen to it through head phones to avoid upsetting the nabes; because there's absolutely no soundproofing in these 'shoebox' flats, and yet everyone is quiet. That means they are doing the same as me or they don't own tvs.

1 I like watching tv. There's a lot of crap, but I have a magical device called a remote control. If I didn't have a tv I would have much less of an excuse to avoid talking to my neighbours; being that I have avoidant personality disorder with schizoid features...that could be a problem.

2 Ditto.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
No, got rid of it years ago.
I still watch many of the worthy TV series, but i woldn't if i couldn't download them - Can't stand the commercials.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

i own 3 tvs. one is in an extra bedroom not even plugged in. we do not have actual television at all (no converter box or cable/satellite) i do have a dvd player that i use to watch mostly documentaries i check out from the local library and i do own every season of seinfeld, most seasons (that have been released) of the simpsons, king of the hill and family guy plus a bunch of movies that i like. i hate commercials. we also have several game consoles and games.

edit on 21-7-2015 by blondegiraffe because: typo

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thanks to all of your answers!

I grew up having a television (by that I mean cable, I didn’t realized there is such a big difference between the US and EU) and after 24 years it changed all of a sudden. Since that time my opinion changed drastically and so I wanted to get some ne input.

And since I asked you guys a question, I should answer yours

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I also like to give myself a NWO hit every now and again, so I grab beer and popcorn, then sit down and flick through BBC, CNN, MSNBC and Fox - LOL, O'Reilly, you are so the poster-boy for "propaganda".

I guess you get your information from other sources, i.e. the internet right?

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Proxy babysitter (thanks Nickelodeon) and Game of Thrones and Vikings and AFL and Rugby Union and cooking / lifestyle shows.

Since I am not a parent this is interesting for me. I don't know what your kids are watching, but do you think it can have an effect or even change them in a way?

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Our reasoning is obvious: information.
The world you live in depends on reading, listening and web surfing. The smart move would be to utilyze all forms of media.

We will be running...while you're looking around at the sudden flash going "Wow.What was that?"...

P's you don't have to watch the darn thing..but do you realize how many cable company, sat company etc and billions of sets are owned.

The tiniest, minutest percentage....is you.

You asked

Great response!

But still, I think a lot of people here will agree with me that mainstream media is not the best way to get your information. And yes, my world depends on reading, listening and web surfing. But it also depends on filtering, understanding and thinking about the information I looked up myself, which I do 3-5 times a day. I don’t like to be told what to think, I also don’t like to be told one side of the story, while the other one is kept quiet. But still, your reasoning is obvious, it is the easiest way to get information.

It’s great you guys will be running, I’ll be living in a world where I don’t have to worry about a sudden flash. And even if would be living in such a world, I would be using a radio - so yeah, I guess I’ll keep up with you guys

Reading I am the tiniest, minutest percentage warmed my heart, thanks for that

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I own half a dozen or so. To answer your question

- because my wife and disabled mom like having them around

Little confused by that, just the presence or having it ON like background music?

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I have a television because I like film, but I cannot sit and watch cable. I'm not sure how anyone can sit and watch television when there is so much to do, and then at the same time complain how tough life is.

Totally see your point. I enjoy watching movies too but in the last few years the numbers of movies I would watch went down drastically - how is your take on that?

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
It's their choice. I can understand why some people don't want them though.

originally posted by: Awolscout
Yes, because being paranoid about every single thing in existence does bad things to the mind.

it's just television, it's fun and has some great shows.

It is you who jumped to the conclusion I am ‚paranoid about every single thing in existence’ while all I did is ask an honest question I wanted to ask this board for weeks. Maybe I am not the one who is paranoid?

I enjoy talking, I really love it, it’s fun and has some great conversations - hopefully a few of them will help me to see the world in a different light and expand the boarders of my mind.

originally posted by: caladonea

Here is my simple question for you...what are the reasons you do not own a TV set?

Wow, there are so many. You know, the way I see it, everywhere you put something in, you should get something out of it. Like a relationship. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a person, a dog, a pen, a computer or a TV. So the question comes to my mind, what is it that I get from watching TV? What is it that I get, by hours of watching the ideas of others while I could have my own. One of the most valuable currencies there is, is time and we’re already wasting a third of it by sleeping - let’s use the rest of it as best as we can.

And since I started with ‚there are so many‘:

listening to music, way more inspiring (for example while drawing) than watching tv;
play or learn to play an instrument - music can not be only listened to, but also created which is a great way of expressing whatever it is you have on your mind;
spend time with your loved ones, talk to them, listen to them, get to know them, love them;
be creative in general, creativity is something every human being has, (heck, even fish get creative
) it’s not just given too a few of us - creativity is what it makes us human.

And to clarify, only because I don’t own a TV I don’t judge or see a person different if they have one - how could I? oO And as Kentuckymama stated, it is everyones choice to do whatever they want. And while I have the feeling of being thrown into a bucket, I did not come with any prejudices

To end this post with my favorite response:

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

to annoy people on their way to the top of some feigned moral superiority soapbox.

These threads are massive circle jerks, same with the threads where every member apparently grows every single thing they eat in their own yard and hasn't eaten fast food in 20 years.

Thank you for all your negativity

edit on 21-7-2015 by Danowski because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
We have one. It's medium sized. Large enough we can see it across the living room and into the kitchen. We like to watch football in the fall and we use it for real time local weather updates and other similar information. There are also a handful of shows we still occasionally watch, although none with rapt attention. Usually we are reading or working on some kind of project at the same time.

Right now, it's off.

We also have a family movie night on Friday where the three of us pop some popcorn and watch a movie as a family. Couldn't do that without the TV.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I own a quite large television that I use to watch mostly Jeopardy, Falling Skies, The Last Ship, Under the Dome, Netflix, Amazon Prime video and DVD/Blu ray movies. Oh, I also have my Xbox One hooked to that.

I also own a cellphone which can accomplish most of that, and 3 computer monitors which (when I feel like it anymore) allow me to play Eve Online while I surf forums and watch Youtube. Eve isn't a game that takes a whole lot of my attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join