It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recommend some jazz for me

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East. Mountain Jam is a little indulgent but In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is killer, especially Duane's guitar solo, the second. He takes the theme and turns it inside out, then subtly mixes scales until a buildup, then changes his tone and brings it back from down low up to ending on the same lick. It's masterful, and you wouldn't realize he is playing nearly the same thing twice until you listen closely multiple times.

Apparently all the band listened to for weeks was Kind Of Blue. And here is the result.In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Some things in the newer stuff... Otis Jackson jr- aka madlib/ loot pack/ yesterday's new quintet.

He drifts genres a bit. Yesterday's new quintet is jazz. He produces a lot of jazzy hip hop as madlib.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Sillyosaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Nice!

Oh I can totally see how the lyrics could throw some people off. Wow that's some random goodness.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

originally posted by: Reverbs

frank was awesome. not really a jazz guy but clearly he can compose it.
hot rats came out in 69. bitches brew came out in 70. i think bitches brew was completed first though.

those are generally thought of as the first jazz fusion records

Tony Williams who also played with Miles had a group called Tony Williams Lifetime that put out a fusion album in 1969 called Emergency!

en.m.wikipedia.org...!_(album)

Also, like said above Jack Dejohnette is one to check out too.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

i have everything frank has ever produced.
huge amounts of boots.
kind of an obsession

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I was into heavy jazz myself i found out some of the best ones are not so much a band that does great music but individual musicians excelling on a particular instrument for instance;
Grant Green Jazz guitar.
Joey defrancesco Hammond Organ.
Both of these are what i would call heavy jazz,Grant Green is outstanding once you get into his music...the album Grantstand is brilliant.
Other names would be Jimmy Mcgriff(Hammond B3),Jack Macduff (organ)
Not really into the saxophone or trumpet as much as the Jazz Guitar and the good old Hammond Organ.
There are quite a few others i have forgotten,that's it....time to go through my itunes albums.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

check out this solo in 9/4

thanks for the names everyone. i will be checking into all of them

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If you like Zappa, you will prob like a band called Estradasphere. They are a modern type jazz group of very powerful players. They go from genre to genre like no other band i know.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Al Di Miola, Chick Corea, and a # load of Spyro Gyra . Sweet fusion there. And Cab Calloway for the Master of the Beat title.
edit on 19-7-2015 by quercusrex because: Capitalization...I'm on a roll today...jeez

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

check out chick corea and hiromi uehara

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The pure, unadulterated ecstasy and joy on her face was enough to make even grumpy old me tear up. Thank you, very much, for sharing that.

After hearing this I am tearing off my ears for I need them no longer.

edit on 19-7-2015 by quercusrex because: spelling, for like the 5th time today...damn.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here a few more artists for you too check out, just a few of my favorites. The late and gone too soon, George Howard, The Yellow Jackets, Sadao Watanable and last but not least Bobby Humphrey.

Jazz has many avenues to travel, have fun exploring one of my favorite genres.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Stan Kenton - particularly his Neophonic Orchestra (only one recording but awesome) especially if you like horns.

A contemporary of Ellis.

You might try Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - they are good.

On a more rocky side look into the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

If you like latin try anything by Tito Puente.

Shall I go on?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

This is the only Neophonic Orchestra cut I could find on you tube but you will get the idea:

This is a traditional big Band with the addition of four french horns making for some beautiful brass voicing. Remember that all woodwinds are played by the saxiphonists.

Here the famous Tito Puente verizon on Take 5 (in syncopated 8):

And now for a tight band ....

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

An extra Big Phat Band arragement of Mozart's 40th Symphony for crossover fans:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I forgot the Brian Setzer Orchestra:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

For a spanish twist, check out

Rodrigo y Gabriella

They are a two piece, man and woman with acoustic gutars. Almost a modern twist on flamanco. I do believe he played metal before settleing on a more traditional style.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

How about Gogal Bordello.

They are a traditional gypsy band with an american party attitude. Not for every one. But some folks love em.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think every guitarist goes through a spell of listening to Django Reinhardt...superb considering his disability. And of course his partner in crime, Stephane Grappelli. George Benson is another fine, fine jazz guitarist.

Growing up, I was also quite partial to a bit of Ben Webster and Oscar Peterson.

It's mainly Swing they played.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join