It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recommend some jazz for me

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I've been digging Keith Jarrett heavily lately. Check out this solo piano performance from 1973 ... Also his standards trio (80's to present) is great with Jack DeJohnette on drums. www.youtube.com...

Of course, Charlie Parker..

Check out some Kurt Rosenwinkel and Aaron Parks, relatively newer artist who are extremely influential in the jazz scene right now. Kurt's album Star of Jupiter has some great breadth going from fusion to hardbop and Parks plays piano and keys on it. Parks album Invisible Cinema is amazing as well, very modern mixed with rock elements. Parks was playing fluid bebop at 13 years old.

I'm also a huge Kenny Garrett fan, or the "real" Kenny G so to speak. His albums Songbook or Triology are modern classics.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm not sure "jammin'" is the right word for it...but what the hay.

If you haven't looked into the horn-gods yet, try some Maynard Ferguson or Miles Davis. I was actually thinking the other day, what would have been the ultimate night at the club...I'm thinking Mel Torme and Buddy Holly on vocals, J.J. Johnson on Trombone, Stan Getz on Sax, Duke Ellington on Piano, and Maynard Ferguson on Trumpet. I'd spend all of my money tonight.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, The Souljazz Orchestra, Plumstead Radical Club

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Here's a few of my personal favorite jazz records for you to check out in no particular order. I'm a professional musician, a bass player with a college degree in Jazz Studies, so yea, I've listened to just a little bit of jazz in my day! :-)

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
Carmen McRae - Carmen Sings Monk
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Chick Corea - Friends
Christian McBride - Gettin' To It
Anything by John Coltrane's classic quartet
Anything by Miles Davis mid-50's or mid-60's quintets
Most anything on the Blue Note label from mid-50's to mid-60's

Man, now that I'm doing this, there is just so much great jazz out there, but maybe these few will help you get started!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Lots of good recommendations in this thread. Here's a list of some I've been into for many a years. This could be an endless list for me. I'm a big Zappa fan too.

Pat Metheny
Larry Coryell
Duke Ellington
Lee Rittenour
Alan Holdsworth (amazing guitar player)
John Abercrombie, Dave Holland and Jack Dijohnette. Awesome stuff together.
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mark Colby (great sax)
Return to Forever
Quency Jones
Tony williams
Frank Gambale
Bill Bruford

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
As a bass player, I'm a little partial to Mingus and Jaco Pastorius.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join