It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-oh, A Robot Just Passed The Self-Awareness Test.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

It's just an unfortunate case of a scientist mistakenly personifying his 'baby'.

I want to know how a scientist working towards 'artificial' consciousness, doesn't have an understanding of the basics of how consciousness works.

How are you ever going to recreate something you don't understand yourself?

Consciousness is born of self-awareness.
Self-awareness is born of necessity/need.

This is the purpose of intelligent designs passive/active consumption orders. The circle of life.

Plant life is passive consumption. Sunlight, water and soil. Doesn't require movement as it does not need to fuel complex electric "engines".

We are active consumption. Meaning we need more than just the passive consumption of sunlight.

We need to seek out food and water, to power the far more fuel-hungry electric engine, the brain.

To know when and how much you need to fuel, 'sense' is born.

This is where self-awareness propagates.

"I am hungry. I am thirsty." Not because of some unattainable mystery, but because you need to know when its time to refuel.

I don't see why it is so hard for people to understand.

KNOW YOURSELF. THEN KNOW THE WORLD.
edit on 19-7-2015 by SONOFTHEMORNING because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

As impressive as this is, it is only one of many tests for true AI that we have. I would like to see if this robot could conclusively pass a Turing Test. Do that, and you will really impress the scientific community. Recognition of your own voice and recognizing that your voice processor worked are two different things. It almost seems more like the latter to me.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SONOFTHEMORNING
a reply to: Aedaeum
I want to know how a scientist working towards 'artificial' consciousness, doesn't have an understanding of the basics of how consciousness works.

How are you ever going to recreate something you don't understand yourself?

A bottom-up approach is the piecing together of systems to give rise to more complex systems, thus making the original systems sub-systems of the emergent system. Bottom-up processing is a type of information processing based on incoming data from the environment to form a perception. From a Cognitive Psychology perspective, information enters the eyes in one direction (sensory input, or the "bottom"), and is then turned into an image by the brain that can be interpreted and recognized as a perception (output that is "built up" from processing to final cognition). In a bottom-up approach the individual base elements of the system are first specified in great detail. These elements are then linked together to form larger subsystems, which then in turn are linked, sometimes in many levels, until a complete top-level system is formed. This strategy often resembles a "seed" model, whereby the beginnings are small but eventually grow in complexity and completeness. However, "organic strategies" may result in a tangle of elements and subsystems, developed in isolation and subject to local optimization as opposed to meeting a global purpose.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

The only awareness that artificial intelligence have is the one that has been created by man, so for me no brain no human plain and simple.

So? What do you think we are? I am more concerned about a) the dangers of strong AI and b) their rights.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
The self aware without a conscience.
By definition that is a psychopath.

Oooooooo... yes you are right! Shorlty we have to be an the watch out for serial killers that don't need food but electricity

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: starswift
Can a rock pass a self awareness test?
And when you say the A.I. is self aware, what do you really mean?
Can a robot know God, the source of the true self?
If so there will some day be a Christ robot to lead us to salvation.
Especially if it's self awareness surpasses that of humans.
Then will come the robot Ant-Christ, and the game will be afoot.

sounds like the set up to a bad joke.

Hahahahahaha. Good one

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes

originally posted by: toktaylor
a reply to: JackReyes

You guys are missing the big picture. Why do human spend so much time studying our environment, planets etc? the goal is the preservation of life, to be immortal. If we can prove that AI can be self aware then it is just a short step to upload over awareness (consciousness) into robots and live forever.

No, you are missing the big picture. Life is not worth living if there is no love in it. Love is the purpose of life. It came into being because of love, and we only continue to exist because of love. And everlasting life can be achieved, but only by means of love.

There is no reason to live forever if there is no love. None.

And there is no reason to create conscious beings if it was not for love and out of love.

Life is just chemistry on a mission

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Ok..let's assume this is true AI..it isn't, as has been pointed out already, but let's say it is and the androids are going to be a big hit..what the hell does that mean for society?

The impact of androids with true AI would be enormous..the entire fabric of what we think of as our societies would have to change.

Androids would essentially be technological slaves..in a nutshell they would be a mechanical slaves, doing the work, manufacturing, doing labour intensive tasks, replacing firefighters, paramedics and doctors, manual workers, farmers, even prostitutes...our systems would need to be radically altered to compensate for tens of millions who's services would no longer be required.

Financial systems would have to be replaced. How could we have a society that isn't earning a wage, not paying income tax, and is dependant on the state to live?

Would we all live lives of luxury? Live off the fruits of our android slaves' labour?

How would we cope when one fine day, an AI android enters politics...or runs for parliament..or president?

The benefits of intelligent androids are huge, but even ignoring the dystopian like fears of an android apocalypse scenario, the effects on us and our systems will be profound.

Yes this is exactly the idea; having intelligent machines doing everything, powered by renewable energy. Now when does intelligent become self aware I don't know. Maybe the strong AI will know

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It would be interesting to write a set of algorithms that have a hierarchy to them, plus somewhere say two that conflict. And see what happnes. Will the machine freeze, become eratic or will it actually decide what the hierarchy needs to be after it has discovered the conflicting instrucions.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Never had a bluescreen i guess

Joking aside, i don't think either that computers are somehow intelligent for now but i believe this can be achieved in a not so far future.

Peace out

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

So, will they have rights, or be treated as property?

The implications of this could be pretty big.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Sounds exactly like the theory behind the Freemasons opposing balance.

The 'Ass-ended' Master. (Ascended).

Where they put things back-to-front, thinking that creating an opposition to the true system; will assist in propagating the complexity of the mirrored system.

This is the dumbest #ing thing I've ever heard.

The reality is, that their 'opposing' system, is more like a big terd that needs to be passed.

They are the existential equivalent of constipation.

Even if they succeed in creating the perfect replication. It will still be subject to the original, and therefore useless as a stand-alone system.

Fools.

That's like creating a fake currency that can only be said to be affective, if you hand over its equivalent in real currency.

It's redundant, worthless, pointless.

A joke of itself.

All they are ever going to do, is create a system which will cancel themselves out.

Comical really.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SONOFTHEMORNING

I have absolutely no idea how any of this relates to bottom up system design.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

It is the EXACT concept behind the Freemasons 'balance' system.

Except in a world environment.

You obviously aren't quite as aware of being led by the hand as I thought you were.

Don't worry about it.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SONOFTHEMORNING

Being patronising doesn't make your ramblings any more lucid.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

And providing an arguement without basis in the logical world; doesn't make you intelligent.

The balance system is propagated by the original system.

Without it; there would be no 'bottom-up', because it is based upon the complexity of the higher input system,

This means that it is subject to the higher system.

A MIRROR. With its complexity dictated by the higher system.

The problem is.

THIS .. DOES .. NOT .. WORK!!!!

It will never create a stand-alone system; let alone a stand-alone intelligence.

The created systems will always decay when detached from the parent system.

It's pre-schooler theory.

Also; patronising means in a way which sounds polite, I was making no attempt to be polite or hide my contempt for the theory (not so much you).

I understand the 'reverse entropy' concepts. But they are flawed, idiotic, and designed to fail.

Anyone who would conceive such systems, with optimism of success, should not be in any way considered a scientist.
edit on 22-7-2015 by SONOFTHEMORNING because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Finding a balance between sharing information and protecting intellectual property has continued to be a primary issue with many. Some experts are adamant that violators need to be prosecuted, like in the case of the Dallas Buyers Club.I got to know about this from tyler burns wilan. Hope this was of help as this was really helpful for me so i think the same can happen for you.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

However, as we can assume that all three robots were coded the same, technically, all three have passed this self-awareness test.

Not really. If the code was the same, the execution could be different if a Random Number Generator (RNG) was part of the code.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Rest assured, there is no self-awareness going on here. The appearance of self-awareness is completely separate from actual self-awareness.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Yes, totally agree. This is just more pre-programmed answers. Gladly so, though. If there would be true AI , a lot of us would be out of work very soon, never mind society collapsing as we know it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join