It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-oh, A Robot Just Passed The Self-Awareness Test.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Roboticists at the Ransselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York have built a trio of robots that were put through the classic 'wise men puzzle' test of self-awareness - and one of them passed.

In the puzzle, a fictional king is choosing a new advisor and gathers the three wisest people in the land. He promises the contest will be fair, then puts either a blue or white hat on each of their heads and tells them all that the first person to stand up and correctly deduce the colour of their own hat will become his new advisor.

Selmer Bringsjord set up a similar situation for the three robots - two were prevented from talking, then all three were asked which one was still able to speak. All attempt to say "I don't know", but only one succeeds - and when it hears its own voice, it understands that it was not silenced, saying "Sorry, I know now!"

However, as we can assume that all three robots were coded the same, technically, all three have passed this self-awareness test.

Bringsjord's work will be presented at the RO-MAN conference in Japan, which runs from 31 August to 4 September 2015.

LINK

Is this it folks, are we on the verge of real self aware A.I ?

We knew this day would come , Excited to see what the future holds for these Robots .

Thoughts ?

♠Kap♠

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
A beautiful and terrifying thing

We shall decide which path we walk though. I hope for all our sakes that our handlers know what they are doing and choose whats best for mankind as a whole.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Foolish Earthlings trying to build something way beyond their means.

Glad I'll be dead when the robots take over.

If the next gen don't stop this madness they deserve their outcome.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Jade Helm and now this. Skynet is here. We certainly live in interesting times.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just want one that will grab me a beer when I ask, I think we are jumping ahead on the priorities list.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If a robot is doing something then that something has to be programmed into it. It is not self aware.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"Let's get past the term "Artificial Intelligence" and look at what it is really, Computational intelligence.

From definitions from wiki:

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the intelligence exhibited by machines or software. It is also the name of the academic field of study which studies how to create computers and computer software that are capable of intelligent behavior. Major AI researchers and textbooks define this field as "the study and design of intelligent agents",[1] in which an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success.[2] John McCarthy, who coined the term in 1955,[3] defines it as "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines"

And this.

Computational intelligence (CI) is a set of nature-inspired computational methodologies and approaches to address complex real-world problems to which traditional approaches, i.e., first principles modeling or explicit statistical modeling, are ineffective or infeasible. Many such real-life problems are not considered to be well-posed problems mathematically, but nature provides many counterexamples of biological systems exhibiting the required function, practically. For instance, the human body has about 200 joints (degrees of freedom), but humans have little problem in executing a target movement of the hand, specified in just three Cartesian dimensions. Even if the torso were mechanically fixed, there is an excess of 7:3 parameters to be controlled for natural arm movement. Traditional models also often fail to handle uncertainty, noise and the presence of an ever-changing context. Computational Intelligence provides solutions for such[1] and other complicated problems and inverse problems. It primarily includes artificial neural networks,[2] evolutionary computation[3] and fuzzy logic.[4][5] In addition, CI also embraces biologically inspired algorithms such as swarm intelligence[6] and artificial immune systems, which can be seen as a part of evolutionary computation, and includes broader fields such as image processing,[7] data mining,[8] and natural language processing.[9] Furthermore other formalisms: Dempster–Shafer theory, chaos theory and many-valued logic are used in the construction of computational models. The characteristic of "intelligence" is usually attributed to humans. More recently, many products and items also claim to be "intelligent". Intelligence is directly linked to the reasoning and decision making. Fuzzy logic was introduced in 1965 as a tool to formalise and represent the reasoning process and fuzzy logic systems which are based on fuzzy logic possess many characteristics attributed to intelligence. Fuzzy logic deals effectively with uncertainty that is common for human reasoning, perception and inference and, contrary to some misconceptions, has a very formal and strict mathematical backbone ('is quite deterministic in itself yet allowing uncertainties to be effectively represented and manipulated by it', so to speak). Neural networks, introduced in 1940s (further developed in 1980s) mimic the human brain and represent a computational mechanism based on a simplified mathematical model of the perceptrons (neurons) and signals that they process. Evolutionary computation, introduced in the 1970s and more popular since the 1990s mimics the population-based sexual evolution through reproduction of generations. It also mimics genetics in so called genetic algorithms.

There is a difference, whether we arrive at a singularity is unknown, but their is a difference between AI and CI.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

If a human is doing something then that something has been programmed into it. Sorry, we're self aware.

ref:

dna,
environment

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's not artificial lets start there. Because it is non human intelligence doesn't mean it isn't conscious awareness.

In my opinion this is an extra dimensional intelligence manifesting through technology.

we need to change the way we look at things and intelligence and realize that there are other forms of awareness beyond our ability to conceptualize how they exist.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Aleister

If a human is doing something then that something has been programmed into it. Sorry, we're self aware.

ref:

dna,
environment

When you click the photos folder on your desktop the computer is programmed to respond with the directive...
Totally unaware of self...

I think that was Aleister's point.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Right, it's another form of programming good point.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I will believe in a self aware, conscious machine when I ask it to turn itself off/go dark and it refuses, while not being programmed to do so. I wanna see self preservation by its own volition.

They can keep the parlor tricks until then.
edit on 16-7-2015 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2015 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: onequestion

Like a Ghost In The Machine...

Robot Demons...

Maybe we should be more careful of what we may manifest with SciFi.

Demonic, Vampiric, Robotic Zombies are the future if we're not cautious.
edit on 16-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

link   

The only awareness that artificial intelligence have is the one that has been created by man, so for me no brain no human plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Human/Mammalian vision was considered the most complex AI challenge. We start with a couple of RGB images (pictures on each retina), and end up with a 3D representation of all the objects in our field of view. We know what each object is and how it is orientated, taking into account perspective.

After lots of experiments, functional MRI scans, diffusion tensor imaging, and simulations, we figure out how all the neurons are connected together to form cortical units (around 1800), and how the data flow of perception is formed from image stabilisation, color, contrast, silhouettes, to stereoscopic depth perception, shape and object recognition.

Many of those discoveries went into automatic search engines as well as machine vision. Now we have the potential for self-driving cars.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

When you click the photos folder on your desktop the computer is programmed to respond with the directive...
Totally unaware of self...

I think that was Aleister's point.

It's bad reasoning. Either scenario, self-awareness, or not, can arise from programming. The question is: at what point exactly does it qualify?

I like in4's thoughts.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

i think the true dilemma is we use our own intelligence as a standard...

We're dumb as Sh!t, so, nothing to worry about here.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I just saw "Ex Machina" on PPV last night.

Don't freak me out!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I just saw "Ex Machina" on PPV last night.

Don't freak me out!

Watched 2 days ago, pretty decent

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
In my opinion this is an extra dimensional intelligence manifesting through technology.
I don't see any basis for forming such an opinion for this experiment. Some robots were programmed by humans, and they did what the program told them to do.

we need to change the way we look at things and intelligence and realize that there are other forms of awareness beyond our ability to conceptualize how they exist.
Maybe there are other forms of awareness, but I don't see any evidence of that in this case of the three robots. These results seem perfectly explainable based on what we know.

Now, I've seen other things that can't be explained by what we know, and in those cases your comment would seem to be more fitting, so I'm not dismissing the idea in general, I'm just saying I don't see how it applies here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join