It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SecAF James: Hill Refusal To Retire Planes May Force F-35, LRSB, KC-46 Delays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
SecAF James: Hill Refusal To Retire Planes May Force F-35, LRSB, KC-46 Delays

uh oh. Looks like there could be some delays.
Though does anyone buy the reasoning? Keeping the A-10 flying and other craft flying may cost us the ability to get newer planes?
Wasn't that money allocated already?

The article also goes on the say that they will be giving drone pilots bonuses for staying on.
Plus new drone pilots joining up. Using contractors to fly drones.... That should be interesting.

And expect more research into automated drone landing and takeoff.

WASHINGTON: Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James warned Congress today that its effort to stop the retirement of the A-10 Warthog and other aircraft could hurt the service’s modernization plans.

In a speech before the National Aeronautic Association, James noted the service wants “to transfer and divest some older aircraft in order to free up resources for more pressing needs, but currently, we’re unable to make the necessary adjustments.” That’s because both the House and Senate Armed Services Committees have blocked those plans.

That opposition constitutes “our greatest area of disagreement with Congress,” she said.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As "Old School" as the A-10 may seem... they are one bad ass aircraft and the only of their kind!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The F-35 was set to replace the following:

A-10 Warthog
A-V8 Harrier
F-16
F/A-18 Hornet and Super-Hornet

The concept makes a world of sense. Implementing it has been ... a challenge. The costs are WAY up, promised capability is WAY down...international partners are getting nervous or are cancelling orders.

The F-111 ran into similar problems.

A "Jack-of-all-trades, Ace-of-none" is even worse when the Jack isn't even a Jack...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I'm worried about the the F-35. Apparently it was cannon fodder in simulated dogfights with the much older F-16's or super hornets, I can't remember which one it was.

However the JSF's were not designed for dogfights-but when the pilots report many various problems in what is supposed to be the most sophisticated fighter the world has even seen then a number of nations who have ordered these fighters have a reason to be concerned.

edit on 16-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
The F-35 was set to replace the following:

A-10 Warthog
A-V8 Harrier
F-16
F/A-18 Hornet and Super-Hornet

The concept makes a world of sense. Implementing it has been ... a challenge. The costs are WAY up, promised capability is WAY down...international partners are getting nervous or are cancelling orders.

The F-111 ran into similar problems.

A "Jack-of-all-trades, Ace-of-none" is even worse when the Jack isn't even a Jack...

I recently heard a very good discussion about the F-35.

Apparently it is supposed to be omnipotent, and apparently the electronic countermeasures and it's stealth is it's strength, but it couldn't match the agility of the fossils like the F-16's.

Zaphod would be the person to ask.

edit on 16-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I'm worried about the the F-35. Apparently it was cannon fodder in simulated dogfights with the much older F-16's or super hornets, I can't remember which one it was.

It was F-16's, "cannon fodder" is a pejorative term that actually didn't apply, the F-16 also does over F15E and F18 in the same scenario's, and the CF35 isn't designed to be a close-in dogfighter so it is no great surprise that it loses close in dogfights to an aircraft that IS design to do that (same with F15E and F18 too!)

Why the article making the comparison is garbage

F-16 designer slaming F35 half brilliant....half BS

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

It's a lot like saying a gun is a crap weapon and a knife is much better .. when you force two people to wield them in close proximity and take away all the gun's bullets.

Basically take away everything the gun (F-35) is designed for (long range) and force it into a situation where the knife (F-16) excels (dogfight), and then claim the gun is more expensive and sucks, so it should be scrapped.

top topics

join